Sponsored by:

GT2 HP 'upgrade'

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 07:59 PM
kerry986
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GT2 HP 'upgrade'

I am considering the purchase of an '03 GT2. I looked at the car yesterday, the exterior and interior are in fine shape. I am a little concerned about what is being described as a 'software upgrade' that boosts HP to 550 at the wheels. The guy has the paperwork showing the Dyno results that seem to back it up. I really don't understand how such a large HP increase can be attained without changing anything mechanically.

I am seeking an all original car, so I really don't consider this a desirable upgrade. Some questions I have… How easy would it be to revert to stock? (The receipt indicates this upgrade cost about $3k, wondering if reverting to stock would be as expensive) Should I be concerned about any effects this modification might have on the engine long term? Is this a fairly common modification done on this car? (I'm told the car was not tracked, it shows no evidence it has been). I am on the fence if I should proceed with a PPI.

Thanks for any advice!
Kerry
Old 04-22-2014, 08:15 PM
CT944
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 110 Posts

550hp to wheels means motor is tuned to likely north of 600hp. The motor can handle that power, no problem. If the DME readout shows no significant over-revs, you should be fine. It's more about the driver than the machine. If all checks out, I'd buy it and just drive it as is, I don't see the need to revert to stock, as you would likely have to downgrade some other downstream components that may be on the car in addition to the tune (exhaust, brv's, etc). Those usually are upgraded to compliment a software tune.

My car is also has a tune, exhaust and other items. I drive it with no issues and rarely use any of the additional power.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:52 PM
Edinsf
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Give Kevin a call -- Ultimate Motor Werks.

Last edited by Edinsf; 04-27-2014 at 10:20 AM.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:12 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

Hey Kerry,
Assuming it's a software only upgrade, it's likely pushing in the mid-high 400's at the wheels, of course add an exhaust, fuel mods, wastegates and then the 550whp could very well be, on an 'aggressive' tune.
If it's software only, Porsche dealer should be able to reprogram it to stock(although some tunes have chipset soldiered in which can pose issue).
I will say you will likely regret going back to stock if it's running good now; so much faster tuned without any negatives if done right.
Find out what tune the car has, many great options out there: EPL(what I'm converting to from GIAC), UMW, 911Tuning, EVOMS, etc...and also many bad tunes...
Feel free to PM me about any GT2 questions if you'd like.
Cheers,
Rob
Old 04-23-2014, 11:19 PM
Vonschmidt
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What name is attached to your software mapping upgrade. The hp you are speaking of leads me to believe this may be as the earlier post indicated a combination of software with hardware enhancements. What version are the turbos, did they mention changing ours manifolds, headers, exaust, etc.

Overall if the he tune is done correctly and you are not going to be tracking the car really hard its likely not an issue and not worth down tuning.
Old 04-25-2014, 01:12 AM
kerry986
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for all the responses. If it is in fact producing 550WHP it sounds like more that just a software upgrade has been done, despite what I was told by the seller. I failed to note the name of the company that did the work, I will have to follow up on that. I didn't realize so many companies are out there that perform this type of mod.

I'm searching for a car as close to stock as possible. This same car has had a couple of other modifications (stereo/sub/amp install, radar detectors) that make it less than my ideal buy. I haven't ruled this one out but I am certainly keeping my eyes peeled ...

Thanks again for all of your help!

Kerry

Quick Reply: GT2 HP 'upgrade'