Sponsored by:

Question to Australian GT3 Owners

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 03:24 AM
Raven 666
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Question to Australian GT3 Owners

I recent join this site to learn more about my 04 996 GT3 and was quite shocked to read about all the coolant pipe failures that are common on these engines .
My question to Australian owners is who do you see about getting the coolant pipes welded or pined in OZ.
My car has relatively low K,s on it 39000 but from what I have read on this site , the issue seems to relate more to age of the engine and not the the K,s on it.
I think this is something that needs to be done as my car is now ten years old and I would rather take action to prevent the issue of coolant pipe failure then wait till it happens ............
Old 07-07-2014, 07:04 AM
edgy
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No idea? Seems like most here that i talk to are unaware of it!

I plan on doing it myself, I'll pull the motor and take the fittings to be tig welded, will do clutch etc whilst in there.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:15 AM
Raven 666
Drifting

Thanks for the reply edgy ,,,,I am really not that confident in the removal of the engine and the coolant pipes and water pump etc ,,,my skills are limited to basic repairs ..
I was thinking that I may contact PR Tec or Hamiltons on Sydney,s Northern beaches and ask a few questions about the issue and its costs .................Good luck with the work on your car
Old 07-07-2014, 08:28 AM
edgy
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keen to hear what you get quoted! Please let us know what quotes you get!
Old 07-09-2014, 10:00 AM
TurboCup87
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Maybe you two should tag team and do them both together.

I considered doing my engine drop, but was afraid to do it by myself without some help. .:chicken:.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:59 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

exoticars in parramatta had one done.
call them for a quote.
most people here are oblivious to it. don't know why.
could be our temperate climate...?
Old 07-11-2014, 03:43 AM
Raven 666
Drifting

Thanks for the reply Jim ,,do you know of anyone who has had the pipe failure in Oz ......Just interested to see if it is as common as in the States........
I compete in Supersprints on a monthly basis with my MNR clubman ,,,,PR Tec generally has Gt3,s there also competing ,and I have never seen them have any collant pipe issue,s .........I am just curious
Old 07-11-2014, 08:33 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Raven 666
Thanks for the reply Jim ,,do you know of anyone who has had the pipe failure in Oz ......Just interested to see if it is as common as in the States........
I compete in Supersprints on a monthly basis with my MNR clubman ,,,,PR Tec generally has Gt3,s there also competing ,and I have never seen them have any collant pipe issue,s .........I am just curious
Here in NZ, about half the 996Ts and 997Ts I know of have had at least one fitting let go. Mine's getting pinned right now at Continental Car Services in Auckland since 3 of the 8 fittings have let go in the last 3 years. The first went just commuting on the motorway, the others on track. Last track meet saw mine and another leave on a flatbed after 3 or 4 five lap sprint runs. You'll see either a massive cloud of steam in your mirrors or just a contrail depending whether it pops right out or still holds a little. Livens up the handling too as it always seems to jet onto at least one rear wheel. Cheaper to just get them done ahead of time, or - if an optimist - as soon as the first one goes (unless it sees you write the car off into a wall of course). I reckon it's age, heat, pressure and shock that work them loose but it is a ridiculous design from Porsche to start with.

GT3s are susceptible too as they have the same fittings, if perhaps a bit less heat and pressure. FWIW, my shop is pinning them then also scuffing the collars and liquid metalling those too.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:05 AM
Raven 666
Drifting

Thanks for the post 996tnz ,,,,,I am certainly going to get mine done ,I just have to find the right people for the job,,,,,I don,t think I could live with my self if I damage the car,,,,, knowing this problem exists and how to correct the problem ,its some thing I just can not ignore and hope that it will not happen to me,,from all the threads on this site about it , I would think it is a certainty in the not to distant future ..........
Old 07-11-2014, 11:57 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

good idea to get them done. i know of only one which let go.
best to ask paul or richard at pr tech. they regularly run these cars for many clientele.
they know most of the local cars.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:56 PM
Raven 666
Drifting

Thank you Jim ,,I shall do that ...............CHEERS
Old 08-28-2015, 07:01 AM
carby
Instructor

Did you end up getting it done?
Old 08-28-2015, 09:20 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Everyone is quite oblivious to the concern here as pointed out by Jimmy above... I think there are too few cars seeing serious track time and therefore these failures are not being seen frequently enough to ring alarm bells, sad really...

I had approached a couple US shops to supply the parts new and welded. Cost was in the vicinity of US$2600 plus freight for all parts purchased, stripped and welded. My motorsport tech thought I was nuts so I didn't proceed lol... When engine needs to be dropped I'll likely just get him to pin them...
Old 08-28-2015, 11:28 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 333 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by 911rox
Everyone is quite oblivious to the concern here as pointed out by Jimmy above... I think there are too few cars seeing serious track time and therefore these failures are not being seen frequently enough to ring alarm bells, sad really...

I had approached a couple US shops to supply the parts new and welded. Cost was in the vicinity of US$2600 plus freight for all parts purchased, stripped and welded. My motorsport tech thought I was nuts so I didn't proceed lol... When engine needs to be dropped I'll likely just get him to pin them...
I too have asked a few race shops and people in the know here in Aus about this problem and none of them had heard of it. I also rang PR Tech after I bought my car because they used to look after it when it was in Sydney. I specifically asked them about the perceived coolant pipe issue as they obviously look after quite a few GT3s that see lots of track time. I don't like to speak for workshops but I will relay what they said to me as honestly as possible. It was something along the lines of that they had it happen on one of their cups and they welded the fitting. They went on to say that while it has happened you could also have a tyre failure as well. He then told me to stop reading the internet lol.

The bit about the flat tyre put it into perspective for me. I think he mentioned they had done it for a couple of customers who insisted but it wasn't part of their routine track prep for every GT3 that comes in.

As I said, would rather not speak for them and I'm just relaying what I was told when I asked the question of them. Best to speak to them directly if you want to form your own opinion on the matter. It does seem to be significantly more prevalent amongst turbos though? Also obviously has happened with lots of GT3s in the USA but there were approximately 15 to 20 times more GT3s delivered there versus Aus??
Old 08-28-2015, 06:44 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

There is a string of posts on the top line of the 996 GT2/GT3 forum. It's a well documented issue and should be viewed seriously. It is mostly a concern on track cars as this issue can cause the cars behind you to suffer the ill effects, not to mention the effects on your car. I was lucky to buy a car that had already been done.

Quick Reply: Question to Australian GT3 Owners