Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

safety wired
Attached Images  
Old 10-27-2016, 06:49 PM
Rob S
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by porcha monkey
i've seen those larger hoses pop off a few times. Usually the metal clips fatigue and then the hoses just pop off. We safety wire all those coolant fittings on the race cars. It's a easy job that can be done at home, it's just a little time consuming to properly safety some of them.
I've seen a lot of race cars (and street cars) and have never heard of this. I'd be interested to see what you're talking about. To my experience, those factory wire clips never break or pop off - unless they aren't put on correctly or you use the wrong ones! There are two sizes and the correct one must be used. Here's the PET screen for an 04 GT3. It shows three of those spring clips are the same and one is different. If you use the wrong one in the wrong place, it may not hold. For certain 996 race cars, there are two of one size and two of the other. Just be sure to use the correct size and double check that it clicks into place. No safety wiring should ever be needed.
Attached Images   
Old 10-27-2016, 11:08 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Rob, I was thinking the same thing. I had one hose pop off two years ago, on the first short drive, after I put the engine back in, so obviously operator error; ME. Put the hose and clip back in and have never had an issue since.

Not saying it can't happen, but would certainly like to know more.
Old 10-28-2016, 09:35 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by FFaust
Rob, I was thinking the same thing. I had one hose pop off two years ago, on the first short drive, after I put the engine back in, so obviously operator error; ME. Put the hose and clip back in and have never had an issue since.

Not saying it can't happen, but would certainly like to know more.
+1. I've never seen the clips fail and every time I've removed the main coolant hoses for replacement they have been an absolute BITCH to get apart...like I almost have to ruin the hose in the process to get them apart.

However, I too put my car back together with the clips in the wrong orientation the first time i took it all apart and the hoses popped off on test drives the first 3 times I took it out before I figured out that the clips are slightly different.

Here's the thread on the hoses splitting and the reason I replace every 2 years. I've seen this 3-4 times over the years. Small price to pay to replace these often to insure there are no issues.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-...hose-blew.html
Old 10-28-2016, 10:43 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

To ensure that the message is clear (no false sense of security):

My clips were in the correct position, but one was not seated properly, so don't assume that if you have the right clips, they are in correctly.

I think that Porsche says to put the clip in its slot and to then to put the hose in the hole; it will click in to place.
Old 10-28-2016, 02:40 PM
452gt3
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Jean sorry to hear you had this issue, I saw the car on jackstands but never got over to talk to you. That is why I had all of mine welded after two track failures years ago. Hope to see you at Buttonwillow in a few weeks.

Mike
Old 10-30-2016, 11:11 PM
porcha monkey
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gofishracing
safety wired
that actually may be my handy work there, and thanks for the pic! It's an extra safety step that we take to ensure we don't blow a motor. It may not be super common on street cars, but i've experienced it on cup cars. As you can see there are 2 safety wires run. One is a small one that slides front to back in the small recess where the hose attaches to the receiver. The second wire runs around the circumference of the hose and over the clip to ensure it will not pop off. I will try and get some better pics this week
Old 10-31-2016, 12:16 AM
Backmarker
Burning Brakes

I had one of those main coolant pipes burst at the track a while back- the fittings were fine it was just a hose burst. I replaced both of them immediately, the car was about 5-6 years old when this happened.
Old 10-31-2016, 03:51 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Yep- Tivadar at Heinlein Racing did my safety wiring & fittings. He is to me the best at checking every detail. 100% confidence when I got my car back from him.
Old 11-01-2016, 10:33 PM
ti-jean
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 452gt3
Jean sorry to hear you had this issue, I saw the car on jackstands but never got over to talk to you. That is why I had all of mine welded after two track failures years ago. Hope to see you at Buttonwillow in a few weeks. Mike
Well, took me twice also, one preventive and one after failure. I won't make Buttonwillow but hopefully see you at the ne t event at Chuckwalla.

Car is all put back together and ready for next event. I guess I have an hybrid of pinned and welded... 6 pinned and 2 welded. As discussed in thread, I'm having the 2 big hoses checked and make sure metal clip is installed correctly. Hopefully all goes smooth from now on. All rubber hoses were replaced last year and all still looks fresh and good.

Here's a pic of the welding job just done on the 2 connections that were missed the first time around.
Attached Images  
Old 11-03-2016, 09:58 AM
LIS
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Make sure that you didn't damage the flat surface where you clamped the manifold. Mine is leaking oil from there under track conditions, likely due to either damage or improper assembly.
Old 02-05-2017, 12:18 AM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought my car from fellow back in the spring of 2009. Included with the spares were a pair of large OEM radiator hoses. The seller explained that he changed the hoses as part of his regular maintenance, no mention of any trouble with the coolant system.
Jump ahead 8 years and I am addressing the coolant issues that we have become familiar with.
I remove the power steering pump and inspect the coolant hose fitting. I discover that I am not the first to address this issue. The fitting circled below has a different epoxy than the other fittings. I suspect my car suffered from a coolant hose failure at some point prior to my ownership. That would have been a handy piece of information to have, must have slipped the previous owner's mind.

Old 02-07-2017, 01:56 AM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Dudley
I bought my car from fellow back in the spring of 2009. Included with the spares were a pair of large OEM radiator hoses. The seller explained that he changed the hoses as part of his regular maintenance, no mention of any trouble with the coolant system.
Jump ahead 8 years and I am addressing the coolant issues that we have become familiar with.
I remove the power steering pump and inspect the coolant hose fitting. I discover that I am not the first to address this issue. The fitting circled below has a different epoxy than the other fittings. I suspect my car suffered from a coolant hose failure at some point prior to my ownership. That would have been a handy piece of information to have, must have slipped the previous owner's mind.

​​​​​​Nice to see JB or whatever held for 8 years.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:10 AM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Sure...."must have slipped the previous owner's mind."
Old 02-08-2017, 10:42 AM
911racer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
+1. I've never seen the clips fail and every time I've removed the main coolant hoses for replacement they have been an absolute BITCH to get apart...like I almost have to ruin the hose in the process to get them apart.

I had one go. It was a center radiator hose and I had been rough driving before it happened (jumping curbs and all) so, getting bumped around and a lot of vibration.

I had never thought of safety wiring them (before now). Great idea.

Also, for the hose ends. I know that most folks either just pin or weld in the factory fittings, but we sell a neat product by Torque Solutions where they have made machined ends which have a larger diameter ring so it makes them a easier to weld (also the grade of aluminum that they chose is more correct for welding)

They are turned from billet rather than formed from round tube like the factory.

Here is a link to the item.

http://www.demonspeedmotorsports.com...TS-POR-001.htm

Thanks

Ed

Quick Reply: Coolant line failure on track