Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drivers seat gremlin. some motor randomly runs, I need some help please.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 09:59 AM
RngTrtl
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Drivers seat gremlin. some motor randomly runs, I need some help please.

I posted over on the n/a forum and not much advice over there. Yall got any thoughts on my crazy seat behavior?

All, 2001 996 turbo.

While driving home from work the other day the drivers seat started vibrating and scared the $**** out of me. I pulled over to see what it was and then it stopped. I am pretty sure I have 8 way adjustable seat (1-4way rocker sw (for lumber control), 1-6 way slide sw (for seat position), and 1-2way rocker switch (for the seat back). After playing with the 4 way switch it appears to do nothing as far as moving the seat in any direction. I am pretty sure that it worked last time I moved it around several months ago. Today, about 1/3 of the way to work it happened again and was constant until I got to work. I got to work where it continued for a bit after I turned the car off. While it was happening i put my left hand down at the back of the seat and I can feel a vibration there.

Any ideas on where to start troubleshooting this issue? When I get home I will pull the seat fuse (hopefully it is just for the seat) until I can get this solved. Thanks for the help.

I pulled fuse E-3 to kill power to the seat until I can get this resolved. Thanks!
Old 08-01-2017, 12:27 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 237 Likes on 171 Posts

Do you have lumbar support option? If so, perhaps the pump is running on its own, stuck switch?
Old 08-01-2017, 12:44 PM
RngTrtl
Drifting

Originally Posted by mffarrell
Do you have lumbar support option? If so, perhaps the pump is running on its own, stuck switch?
It does have the lumbar option. Im 99% it has something to do with the lumbar mechanism. Exactly what Im not sure. If I am not sitting on the seat, there is nothing running and when I press the button either up, down, or forward I get the same sound of the lumbar system trying to do something. If I press the button back words, I hear a small relay or something in the seat clicky but no motor/pump sound. I think the switch is good.
Old 08-18-2017, 10:29 AM
Butchj
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem. Did you get it resolved
Old 08-19-2017, 02:17 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 572 Likes on 437 Posts

Those lumbar adjusters seem to go bad a lot... mine had a short to ground internal to the seat responsible for a major current drain. You can just unplug the lumbar plugs on the control unit and still retain complete functionality of everything else (versus pulling the fuse that kills all seat adjustability).
Old 08-19-2017, 09:26 AM
RngTrtl
Drifting

Originally Posted by Butchj
I have the same problem. Did you get it resolved
Not yet. Its too damn hot in the garage to troubleshoot it for another month or so.
Old 08-19-2017, 09:27 AM
RngTrtl
Drifting

Originally Posted by garrett376
Those lumbar adjusters seem to go bad a lot... mine had a short to ground internal to the seat responsible for a major current drain. You can just unplug the lumbar plugs on the control unit and still retain complete functionality of everything else (versus pulling the fuse that kills all seat adjustability).
I was hoping to do something like this when I have a chance. Do you have to remove the seat to get to the plugs?
Old 08-20-2017, 06:03 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RngTrtl
I was hoping to do something like this when I have a chance. Do you have to remove the seat to get to the plugs?
Nope; just raise the front of the seat, remove the screw to remove the plastic shield (if installed) and you'll see the control unit and plugs right there. If I remember, the two on the end towards the tunnel are the ones for the lumbar. I can look if you need (since mine is unplugged!).
Old 08-21-2017, 09:45 AM
RngTrtl
Drifting

Nope; just raise the front of the seat, remove the screw to remove the plastic shield (if installed) and you'll see the control unit and plugs right there. If I remember, the two on the end towards the tunnel are the ones for the lumbar. I can look if you need (since mine is unplugged!).
This is great news. If you would be so kind as to take a peak and get back to me I would really appreciate it. Thanks so much.
Old 08-21-2017, 11:26 AM
ReidN
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It does have the lumbar option. Im 99% it has something to do with the lumbar mechanism. Exactly what Im not sure. If I am not sitting on the seat, there is nothing running and when I press the button either up, down, or forward I get the same sound of the lumbar system trying to do something. If I press the button back words, I hear a small relay or something in the seat clicky but no motor/pump sound. I think the switch is good.
Take switch out. Get some electronic parts cleaner and spray the switch out really well. They are located on the outside of the seat which makes them prone to water infiltration. Let me know how that works. The sell it at home depot in the electrical section. Not the air in a can. It is a chemical.
Old 08-21-2017, 11:35 AM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

If you find something broken let me know. I might have a spare. I have a set of the full power seats with, memory, heat and lumber that I am parting out. right now they are complete except for the bottom plastic frames and cushions. The leather backs are in very good condition. They have ~35k mi on them.
Old 08-23-2017, 09:01 AM
RngTrtl
Drifting

Originally Posted by ReidN
Take switch out. Get some electronic parts cleaner and spray the switch out really well. They are located on the outside of the seat which makes them prone to water infiltration. Let me know how that works. The sell it at home depot in the electrical section. Not the air in a can. It is a chemical.
Ill check that when I go to unplug the lumbar this weekend.
Old 08-23-2017, 03:33 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

This is great news. If you would be so kind as to take a peak and get back to me I would really appreciate it. Thanks so much.
The lumbar plugs are two black plugs, and are plugged into slots #9 and #8 in the control unit box (out of 10). For reference #10 is the plug slot closest to the tunnel (left side of the box, looking towards the seat or rear of the car). #10 was empty on my car. Unplug those two and you'll disable the lumbar function yet everything else functions.
Old 08-23-2017, 04:04 PM
RngTrtl
Drifting

The lumbar plugs are two black plugs, and are plugged into slots #9 and #8 in the control unit box (out of 10). For reference #10 is the plug slot closest to the tunnel (left side of the box, looking towards the seat or rear of the car). #10 was empty on my car. Unplug those two and you'll disable the lumbar function yet everything else functions.
Many thanks! Ill do this on the weekend.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:06 AM
RngTrtl
Drifting

Just to clear this one up. I did unplug the 8 and 9 position plugs under the seat and re-installed the fuse and now power is restored to the seat (-minus the lumbar control). Thanks to all for the help!

Quick Reply: Drivers seat gremlin. some motor randomly runs, I need some help please.