Sponsored by:

Interior cosmetic mod - painted console color choice

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 11:55 AM
techweenie
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Interior cosmetic mod - painted console color choice

I have a new-to-me TT on the way. It has a black interior with supple option (will be getting sport seats). Cer is black with black top.

Rear Center Console is the original soft touch black, which I don't like. I bought a painted console (to save prep time) and will respray & swap in.

My question: what color? I'm thinking something like a Seal Gray or Atlas Gray metallic. Not looking or anything too jarring, but just a bit of eye candy. I'd even thought of gloss black... Whatever color I choose will also be the new sport seat back color.

Suggestions?
Attached Images  
Old 11-09-2017, 01:00 PM
Road King
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

I have the leather wrapped console which has aged very nicely, but I have always liked the console painted the same color as the car, looks really good (just like painted seat backs do). And as you said, gray won't pop like a red or yellow.

On your all black car, not sure how gray would work, but as long as you're happy with the outcome it's all good.

Of course carbon fiber seat backs with a matching console would look awesome, but IMO it's not worth the price of admission.
Old 11-09-2017, 01:09 PM
techweenie
Burning Brakes

I'm just not a fan of faux carbon fiber for some reason. I mean it looks good, but carbon fiber is a structural material, not a film coating.

Maybe gloss black is the best choice.
Old 11-09-2017, 01:26 PM
ReidN
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by techweenie
I'm just not a fan of faux carbon fiber for some reason. I mean it looks good, but carbon fiber is a structural material, not a film coating.

I may be talked into getting rid of my gloss black one in my car. It was new when I bought the car three years ago still looks great. My car is seal grey and I don't like the look.
Old 11-09-2017, 02:00 PM
Road King
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Totally agree, but the CF center consoles I've seen appeared to be all carbon and not 'wrapped'. I could be wrong though.

what about leather wrapped?
Attached Images   
Old 11-09-2017, 02:56 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,727 Likes on 1,465 Posts

True, but it's not like any of the 'real' carbon fiber interior trim has any structural or weight saving benefits... Purely eye candy. Some of the 3m films look extremely real when applied professionally, so the 'fakeness' of it doesn't really bother me as much as say wrapping a hood, spoiler, etc in fake CF film. I also think some of the matte carbon fiber films actually look better than the glossy CF factory trim on the 996 generation cars and sure as hell are going to cost a lot less.

That said, i think painted center consoles in exterior color look great, though black is the one color that doesn't really work as well with.

Maybe painting the center console to match the alum look on your shifter would look decent? Suncoast gets $2,800 for the OEM version!

Old 11-09-2017, 03:20 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

All carbon fiber Porshe interior are carbon fiber molded to the original piece. No,wrap!
Old 11-09-2017, 03:22 PM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Received 107 Likes on 86 Posts

I would stick with body color, personally.

Planning to do mine eventually since I've scratched up the soft touch a decent bit.
Old 11-09-2017, 05:08 PM
ReidN
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think bumperplugs.com paints them if I am not misstaken.
Old 11-09-2017, 05:31 PM
RClurg84
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 on the alum look. Need a little contrast in that sea of black.
Old 11-09-2017, 06:39 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,294 Likes on 1,463 Posts

I would try white to match the gauge faces.
Old 11-09-2017, 09:38 PM
Alan A
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

I'd go black. Or leather wrapped.
Anything else will look out of place.

Another color will look like you went to the pick and pull and swapped in whatever they had.

YMMV - it's your car and this is only my opinion...
Old 11-10-2017, 01:25 AM
s65e90
Drifting

Received 748 Likes on 521 Posts

Gloss black, painted body color or carbon.

Old 11-10-2017, 11:32 AM
techweenie
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pfbz
True, but it's not like any of the 'real' carbon fiber interior trim has any structural or weight saving benefits... Purely eye candy. Some of the 3m films look extremely real when applied professionally, so the 'fakeness' of it doesn't really bother me as much as say wrapping a hood, spoiler, etc in fake CF film. I also think some of the matte carbon fiber films actually look better than the glossy CF factory trim on the 996 generation cars and sure as hell are going to cost a lot less.

That said, i think painted center consoles in exterior color look great, though black is the one color that doesn't really work as well with.

Maybe painting the center console to match the alum look on your shifter would look decent? Suncoast gets $2,800 for the OEM version!

Your examples look great, pfbz.

Well, I picked up a console with non-smoker bin for this purpose. I noticed the water transfer film companies offer brushed aluminum and brushed pewter... (so here I am, going backward on my faux finish condemnation.)
Old 11-10-2017, 11:59 AM
s65e90
Drifting

Received 748 Likes on 521 Posts

I recover OEM trim in CF as most of the OE stuff has been cracked and yellowed/damaged by now. I am a little backed up now, esp. since the Hurricane but may have some inventory I can check if interested.

Thanks,

Quick Reply: Interior cosmetic mod - painted console color choice