Sponsored by:

How to safely hit top speed?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 06:16 PM
996tt350
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to safely hit top speed?

Looking to get involved in the Sun Valley event in either 18 or 19 which means i'll get an opportunity to possibly get up to top speed. I get my 02 TT service at the Dealer and they do their normal checks. Tires are 1 year old, 2k miles on them, brakes still check good. I got it aligned last year as well when I did the new tires.

I bought it used a year ago and mods (from receipts) are: K24 turbos, EVOMS intake, unknown brand headers, unknown brand exhaust, AWE tune. Have not dynoed, but looks like I'm making 550ish horsepower based on tune packages I saw from AWE. I think I have the horsepower to do it.

Anyone have a checksheet of things to look at before trying to hit top speed?
Old 11-27-2017, 06:26 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

This sounds like a really bad idea. Just because your TT is capable of near 190+ speeds doesn't mean you should risk doing it. At those kind of speeds bad things happen scary fast, some ending in ones early demise. Not saying I've driven near that speed but I've seen the end results for some. Is there a safe way to reach top speed in a TT? BTW, your in the wrong forum.
Old 11-27-2017, 07:03 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by KrazyK
This sounds like a really bad idea. BTW, your in the wrong forum.
A really bad idea is buying a 996 from someone who failed to disclose they created their own FrunkenIMSB and the car quickly grenaded. That is a bad idea. And why is he in the wrong forum? I assume because he added an aftermarket turbo kit? Which you then assume he should have posted in the Turbo Forum? No. Just like when someone puts a FrunkenIMSB in their car, then calls it a true replacement IMSB??? No again....
Old 11-27-2017, 07:06 PM
996tt350
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a Turbo, perhaps it's the wrong forum
Old 11-27-2017, 07:10 PM
Ryan_G
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 996tt350
Looking to get involved in the Sun Valley event in either 18 or 19 which means i'll get an opportunity to possibly get up to top speed. I get my 02 TT service at the Dealer and they do their normal checks. Tires are 1 year old, 2k miles on them, brakes still check good. I got it aligned last year as well when I did the new tires.

I bought it used a year ago and mods (from receipts) are: K24 turbos, EVOMS intake, unknown brand headers, unknown brand exhaust, AWE tune. Have not dynoed, but looks like I'm making 550ish horsepower based on tune packages I saw from AWE. I think I have the horsepower to do it.

Anyone have a checksheet of things to look at before trying to hit top speed?
At a minimum I would suggest a race seat, 6 point harnesses, a helmet, and Hans device. This will protect the head and really limit spine and neck movement if **** goes sideways. You may also want to consider a window net and arm restraints. If you roll the car your arms won't fly out the window and get crushed. Ideally the car would also have a full cage.
Old 11-27-2017, 07:15 PM
Ryan_G
Advanced

You need to get the car aligned for straightline stability and not handling. The current alignment should not be relied on. Double check that the tires are rated for that speed and won't come apart.
Old 11-27-2017, 07:37 PM
Astro
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 28 Posts

These cars are meant to be driven fast, look at their origin. I see them moving along at high speed on the Autobahn in Germany all the time. I think the key is to find a good place to do it.
Old 11-27-2017, 07:45 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

car quickly grenaded
3 years? Quickly?

And why is he in the wrong forum? I assume because he added an aftermarket turbo kit?
Uhmmm,, huh? The cars a TT with upgraded TT's.

I'm hoping the guys safe and your trying to do what exactly?
Old 11-27-2017, 07:46 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Gonzo911
A really bad idea is buying a 996 from someone who failed to disclose they created their own FrunkenIMSB and the car quickly grenaded. That is a bad idea.
Gonzo, you mean like what KK did to this fellow Rennlister?

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...ong-story.html
Old 11-27-2017, 07:48 PM
beetleything
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Astro
These cars are meant to be driven fast, look at their origin. I see them moving along at high speed on the Autobahn in Germany all the time. I think the key is to find a good place to do it.
Bingo - totally agree.

It's a freaking PORSCHE !!!

Find a quiet race track and on some nice long straights - take it up to the top i know i would if i could!
Old 11-27-2017, 08:00 PM
Volkert
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Driving fast is a thing one might need to get used to. Things get a bit different above 250km/h. The car is capable enough, you might more be the limiting factor!
Old 11-27-2017, 08:47 PM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

If you can get quality highway stretches without expansion joints or blind sweepers, it's very doable. Just look at the Agera R doing 250+ in Nevada on a state highway. Good tires, a straight alignment & enjoy as 'conservatively' as you can. Don't be afraid to back off if things don't feel right & remember there is no prize at the end. It's just about enjoying the car on quality roads & seeing what's possible.
Old 11-27-2017, 08:54 PM
strathconaman
Three Wheelin'

Received 202 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan_G
At a minimum I would suggest a race seat, 6 point harnesses, a helmet, and Hans device. This will protect the head and really limit spine and neck movement if **** goes sideways. You may also want to consider a window net and arm restraints. If you roll the car your arms won't fly out the window and get crushed. Ideally the car would also have a full cage.
You can't do a full race seat and Hans without a roll cage. It limits head movement, so if the roof crushes, you crush.
Old 11-27-2017, 09:03 PM
Ryan_G
Advanced

Originally Posted by strathconaman
You can't do a full race seat and Hans without a roll cage. It limits head movement, so if the roof crushes, you crush.
A roll bar to attach the harnesses to does not require a full cage and will prevent the roof from caving in. Doesn't offer side impact protection though.
Old 11-27-2017, 09:17 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I have no interest in top speeds (120mph was enough for me and that was when I was a stupid fearless kid!), but I wouldn't trust my local dealers for a quality check for that kind of use. These guys know street cars for normal street use, not for 9/10 usage.

Maybe you have better people people at your dealer, but I'd be finding a quality race shop to have them look over the car for track use. That way you should have a much better confidence that your car is in good shape for such a run.

It it should also go without saying, but please save this for a closed course (from a quick look it sounds like the event is and have police involvement) to limit risk and consequences.

Quick Reply: How to safely hit top speed?