Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the verdict on Forgestar F14 wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 11:33 AM
Porscheadk
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like mine. 315/19 out back
Old 02-28-2018, 02:10 PM
ReidN
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
yes correct. couldnt think of the term for to wide a tire on a smaller rim. 11.5 is usually the minimum for 315 rubber
I have 315's on Tens. I guess I am gonna die...
Old 02-28-2018, 05:31 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,013 Posts

yes correct. couldnt think of the term for to wide a tire on a smaller rim.
Muffin top...
Old 03-02-2018, 12:06 AM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by euge
My turbo is currently on 19" wheels. I want to go back to 18". Came across the Forgestar F14 and i like the look, but i'm getting mixed signals on them. I was wondering if people with real experience with them on 996TT would share their opinion. Especially those with longer term use.
Google Forgestar F14 failure - I was considering these at one point until I did a little research...
2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials SpeedTech Exhaust Videos facebook

Old 03-02-2018, 12:32 AM
butzigear
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by powdrhound
Muffin top...
I call the opposite of tire stretch - tire bulge.

I have also fitted 315s on 11s with no issues or bulge.
Old 03-03-2018, 01:49 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

315's totally fit on oem twists. even better with 15 spacers.
Old 03-04-2018, 01:55 AM
fung0001
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Whynot stock hollow
the price is low in us...
Old 03-08-2018, 05:51 PM
euge
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Continuing the conversation. HRE FF15 vs. Forgestar F14. Anyone with actual use of HRE FF15 around here? Let's assume you can get both for about the same money, looks aside, would HRE be preferred?
Old 03-09-2018, 03:33 PM
WheelsB
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 952 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by euge
Continuing the conversation. HRE FF15 vs. Forgestar F14. Anyone with actual use of HRE FF15 around here? Let's assume you can get both for about the same money, looks aside, would HRE be preferred?
HRE is known for their legendary build quality and have been manufacturing performance wheels since 1978.

If you look into the origins of Forgestar's materials and manufacturing then it'll leave little doubt as to which would be preferred.

Wheels Boutique // 786 249 0127 // Sales@wheelsboutique.com
Follow us on YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/WheelsBoutique
Largest Dealer In The World for HRE Wheels, ANRKY Wheels, Vorsteiner Wheels & Aero, Akrapovic Exhaust, & iPE Exhaust
BBS, Forgeline, & TechArt Premium Dealer
Brembo / Rotiform / KW / H&R / Novitec / Brabus / Mansory and tons more...
Old 03-09-2018, 04:44 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by WheelsB
HRE is known for their legendary build quality and have been manufacturing performance wheels since 1978.

If you look into the origins of Forgestar's materials and manufacturing then it'll leave little doubt as to which would be preferred.
hre and forgestar wheels are both made in japan. forgestar wheels carry the same certs as hre. SAE JWL VIA and forgestar made the flow form wheels yrs ahead of hre . how long has hre been making flow form wheels? 5 yrs ? when i bought my forgestar wheels in 2011 hre didnt even make this style of wheel. fwiw i replaced a set of 19' hre wheels that constantly leaked. neve r a single leak on my cf-5 wheels
Old 03-09-2018, 06:39 PM
HRE_Jurrian
Former Vendor

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

hre and forgestar wheels are both made in japan. forgestar wheels carry the same certs as hre. SAE JWL VIA and forgestar made the flow form wheels yrs ahead of hre . how long has hre been making flow form wheels? 5 yrs ? when i bought my forgestar wheels in 2011 hre didnt even make this style of wheel. fwiw i replaced a set of 19' hre wheels that constantly leaked. neve r a single leak on my cf-5 wheels
I try not to touch on these comparison posts between wheel manufacturers simply out of respect for the forum because it's never my intent to try to bash another brand, so I'm going to try to tip toe around this as nicely as possible.

I have a unique background before working at HRE. Prior to working here I worked at a shop called ModBargains here in Southern California, and for the 4-5 years that I was working there, the #1 wheel brand that I sold the most of by a good amount was Forgestar. I built a unique relationship with the owner who is now working for Weld, since Forgestar got purchased by Momo (Momo/Weld Group purchased ADV.1, Weld, CCW and Forgestar). I've personally had 2 sets of Forgestars, CF10's and F14's, both of which saw one day of the track each, so I don't have much to tell from experience on track. Now I didn't spend much of any time on the track, but for the street the wheels held up just fine. I can't say the same for my friend and customer at the time Chris, who became quite internet famous for this freaky moment:

I haven't had a Forgestar fail on me as spectacularly as Chris' wheels did, but I have had multiple customers over the years while working there require replacement wheels due to bends. Now with that said, that doesn't mean that very high quality wheels are impervious to bends, but Forged wheels certainly have substantial more strength to avoid any potential cracking issues due to their better elongation and stiffness of the T6-6061 Aluminum. I haven't seen any kind of failures like this on a FlowForm wheel, though Chris makes a solid point about checking for cracks each time you go out on the track to make sure nothing like that happens to you.

Back to your comment which I'd like to address directly - Yes, our FlowForm wheels are made in Japan, and our Forged wheels are built here in San Diego, but our FlowForm wheels carry TUV certification just like our Forged wheels do, as far as I know, Forgestar wheels are not TUV certified. JWL is a self-certification process, you as a manufacturer could build your own wheel, and call it JWL certified, that means nothing unless it comes with the VIA certification too which is Japan's certification process which is governed by a secondary body. Wheels will be sent to VIA for certification similar to TUV which is a much more difficult and stringent process. Do you want your wheels to be strong enough to pass a more difficult certification test or are you ok with the lesser one? For me, I'd go for the one that tests the crap out of a wheel before I decide to buy it. Technically as well, Forgestar wheels in Germany/Austria would be illegal to drive on because they do not carry their TUV certificate, so if anyone is reading this form either of those countries, you only have one company to choose from if you want state approved wheels wheels.

Also, Forgestars are not made in Japan. The Forgings they bring in are not from Japan either (at least when I was selling them). Not sure if I'm even allowed to say where they come from so I'll play it safe and keep my mouth shut. The forgings are brought in, then when an order comes in they pull the forgings they need, they machine the backpad as they need it, and then powdercoat then they ship it.
Old 03-09-2018, 07:47 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by HRE_Jurrian
I try not to touch on these comparison posts between wheel manufacturers simply out of respect for the forum because it's never my intent to try to bash another brand, so I'm going to try to tip toe around this as nicely as possible.

I have a unique background before working at HRE. Prior to working here I worked at a shop called ModBargains here in Southern California, and for the 4-5 years that I was working there, the #1 wheel brand that I sold the most of by a good amount was Forgestar. I built a unique relationship with the owner who is now working for Weld, since Forgestar got purchased by Momo (Momo/Weld Group purchased ADV.1, Weld, CCW and Forgestar). I've personally had 2 sets of Forgestars, CF10's and F14's, both of which saw one day of the track each, so I don't have much to tell from experience on track. Now I didn't spend much of any time on the track, but for the street the wheels held up just fine. I can't say the same for my friend and customer at the time Chris, who became quite internet famous for this freaky moment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtYjujhW27Q

I haven't had a Forgestar fail on me as spectacularly as Chris' wheels did, but I have had multiple customers over the years while working there require replacement wheels due to bends. Now with that said, that doesn't mean that very high quality wheels are impervious to bends, but Forged wheels certainly have substantial more strength to avoid any potential cracking issues due to their better elongation and stiffness of the T6-6061 Aluminum. I haven't seen any kind of failures like this on a FlowForm wheel, though Chris makes a solid point about checking for cracks each time you go out on the track to make sure nothing like that happens to you.

Back to your comment which I'd like to address directly - Yes, our FlowForm wheels are made in Japan, and our Forged wheels are built here in San Diego, but our FlowForm wheels carry TUV certification just like our Forged wheels do, as far as I know, Forgestar wheels are not TUV certified. JWL is a self-certification process, you as a manufacturer could build your own wheel, and call it JWL certified, that means nothing unless it comes with the VIA certification too which is Japan's certification process which is governed by a secondary body. Wheels will be sent to VIA for certification similar to TUV which is a much more difficult and stringent process. Do you want your wheels to be strong enough to pass a more difficult certification test or are you ok with the lesser one? For me, I'd go for the one that tests the crap out of a wheel before I decide to buy it. Technically as well, Forgestar wheels in Germany/Austria would be illegal to drive on because they do not carry their TUV certificate, so if anyone is reading this form either of those countries, you only have one company to choose from if you want state approved wheels wheels.

Also, Forgestars are not made in Japan. The Forgings they bring in are not from Japan either (at least when I was selling them). Not sure if I'm even allowed to say where they come from so I'll play it safe and keep my mouth shut. The forgings are brought in, then when an order comes in they pull the forgings they need, they machine the backpad as they need it, and then powdercoat then they ship it.

so what your implying is that hre wheels have never failed? i have seen ccw,fikse and hre all with issues. from my personal cars. not hype.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:11 PM
HRE_Jurrian
Former Vendor

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

so what your implying is that hre wheels have never failed? i have seen ccw,fikse and hre all with issues. from my personal cars. not hype.
My intent not was to imply that HRE is impervious to damage, I've recently taken a detour on a track day into a hard place and have found that out myself, but the point if anything that I was making is that despite the awesomeness of the flow form wheel construction, forged ultimately is better. I, like some of you possibly, wouldn't have been able to afford a forged set of wheels, which is why Forgestar was a better option for me when I was younger. I now would try to save up more for the brands we all know are awesome and track worthy. BBS, OZ, Forgeline, Rays to name a few. HRE I put in that category as well including the FlowForm line.

We've progressed a significant amount in the last few years and we intend on making new unique and ambitious additions to the FlowForm and Forged line up that will solidify our large catalog. Everything from affordable FlowForms, gorgeous and unique wheels for your daily drivers, and hardcore lightweight wheels for the person who doesn't need to compromise for their super or hypercars.
Old 03-10-2018, 11:38 AM
Road King
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

3 years, no issues, but no track days either. Would I buy them again? Not sure given what I know now, but I don't have anything bad to say.

Based on what I've ready and what's written on the box, Forgestar F14s are made in China (PRC). I don't think anyone's thrilled about it, but that's the truth.

My next wheels will probably NOT be made in China.

Old 03-10-2018, 05:04 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Forgestars are made in China. I had a set made then had to wait for a replacement wheel to be made.

They all came by boat.

Quick Reply: What's the verdict on Forgestar F14 wheels?