Newbie looking for 996 Turbo buying tips

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 07:31 PM
E TICKET
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie looking for 996 Turbo buying tips

Hello!
I am new to Rennlist and I over the last year I have finally convinced myself to get into a 996 Turbo. I have owned a few Porches over the years, but never have had a 996. I'm in the 40k-50k price range, so most of the vehicles I have been looking at are somewhere in the range of 40k-70k miles. I am hoping to get some buying tips off the forum and I wondering if there are any specific things I should be looking for, or any potential problematic (red flag) areas to note. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Old 05-03-2019, 02:55 PM
LazySumday
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Try Bring a Trailer, a great place is also PCA magazine classifieds. Obviously, get a PPI and demand service records. The cars seem pretty reliable overall however. No specifics to give you regarding red flags.
Old 05-03-2019, 05:29 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,273 Likes on 1,458 Posts

This thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turb...-a-996-tt.html
Old 05-03-2019, 05:40 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 767 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
That should be a sticky.
Old 05-03-2019, 08:43 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dock
That should be a sticky.
I am the human sticky.
Old 05-03-2019, 08:52 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 767 Likes on 543 Posts

I am the human sticky.
Well......I'm going to have to take your word on that one.
Old 05-13-2019, 08:31 PM
Surfer161
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by E TICKET
Hello!
I am new to Rennlist and I over the last year I have finally convinced myself to get into a 996 Turbo. I have owned a few Porches over the years, but never have had a 996. I'm in the 40k-50k price range, so most of the vehicles I have been looking at are somewhere in the range of 40k-70k miles. I am hoping to get some buying tips off the forum and I wondering if there are any specific things I should be looking for, or any potential problematic (red flag) areas to note. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
i just bought a 2003 TT. whatever price you get it at, plan on at least $3K in maintence. spark plugs, power packs, brake pads and rotors, tires. rear tires last bout 5 k miles, plan on that. i had a c4s preciously for 35k miles, so i know and accept the costs of driving it. but it is worth it.
change all fluids if you dont know when it was done. and check the transmission service - if you dont know when it was done plan on it. the seals seep after a decade+. i am also planning on replacing the shock struts with in the first year.

these cars are supercars, and the upkeep reflects it. budget at least $2k per year and be happy if that is all you spend.

and then there are upgrades. if you use it as a street car, it wont be too much. if you even occasionally track it, budget at least 5k in the first 2 years. i am budgeting $5k this year.

i got my car at a low price, and promptly spent $2k in maintence (rotors, pads, fluids) and 0$5k in upgrades (tires, tune, sway bars, lowering springs) of course, i will be tracking the car 8-10 days this year.

i will probably get new intercoolers next year $3k.

i am lucky. i have been PCA for 40 years. this is my penultimate P car. my last one will be a coffin

surfer161 now at 72Y

but it is loads of fun. i told my kids my last check will bounce
Old 05-13-2019, 09:01 PM
pancing
Drifting

Received 246 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by E TICKET
Hello!
Thanks!
I paid just above 30k for mine last year 01 turbo 58k miles.
Heres what I've had done
-spoiler drive
-Front Inner X1 Front outerX2 CVs (inner was changed as a good will along with the warranty for 2nd CV Tech failed to clamp them down)
-4 Different mafs (3 under warranty)
-Wheel bearings
-Oil x 3
-Air filter
- wastegate actuators
- coils plugs
- Hid Bulbs
- Clutch Slave,accumulator
- 6 Tires 2 front 4 rear

Still to come-
Brakes full 7mm up front Rotors warped due to being originals.
diffs, trans, brake flush

Mods
- LED 194 bulbs,festoons and ba9s for position light
-FRP carbon laminated wing Techart Type 1 wing
-Window tint
-umw tune
-Gt3 front brake ducts

All said and done the car cost me about 45k total
which an 01 with 58k would be about that with taxes and fees from a dealer.
Old 05-13-2019, 11:52 PM
Radmd74
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Sweet,

Just saw a manual coupe, black. 2002. 996TT.
MSRP:
$120,535.00
44k miles

Exterior: excellent, no visible chips. Hood bra included. Overall 9/10

Interior: probably 8/10
No mods

Known repairs:
-Brand new clutch
-Brand new brakes and rotors all the way around

Priced at 47k, no haggle price.

Thoughts on price? low end? high end?

Thanks
Old 05-14-2019, 01:16 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,727 Likes on 1,465 Posts

Originally Posted by Radmd74
Sweet,

Just saw a manual coupe, black. 2002. 996TT.
MSRP:
$120,535.00
44k miles

Exterior: excellent, no visible chips. Hood bra included. Overall 9/10

Interior: probably 8/10
No mods

Known repairs:
-Brand new clutch
-Brand new brakes and rotors all the way around

Priced at 47k, no haggle price.

Thoughts on price? low end? high end?
Price is ballpark dealer price... Not a stellar deal, but it's really more about finding the stellar car.

If I was looking at it, I'd be checking for starters:
  • Paint. No chips, but great finish, or need a $1,00 paint correction?
  • Recent work done... Documentation? Done by a top quality shop? Quality parts? If cheap parts were used (I don't mean inexpensive, I mean crap), indicitive of other work.
  • Spoiler rams good?
  • Any signs of clutch slave or accumulator leaks?
  • OEM wheels? Nice aftermarket wheels? Or junk? Same with tires.
  • What's the 2/10 missing on the interior? Worn bolsters? interior paint scraped up? what color interior? What seats?
  • Road test, solid pull, no signs of boost leaks, crisp shifting, no obvious suspension issues?
The reality is that most buyers really don't completely know their way around these cars until they've owned them for at least six months, usually longer, so pick a good one that you can get eyes on, enjoy the ride.

Perhaps most importantly, do you like black? For me, it's kind of a no-go except for the metallic Basalt Black, which I'm pretty sure this one isn't.
Old 05-14-2019, 03:54 AM
Radmd74
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah awesome tips. Interior needs some detailing bit could work up to a 8.5.

It is basalt black (has the metallic sheen).

Originally Posted by pfbz
Price is ballpark dealer price... Not a stellar deal, but it's really more about finding the stellar car.

If I was looking at it, I'd be checking for starters:
  • Paint. No chips, but great finish, or need a $1,00 paint correction?
  • Recent work done... Documentation? Done by a top quality shop? Quality parts? If cheap parts were used (I don't mean inexpensive, I mean crap), indicitive of other work.
  • Spoiler rams good?
  • Any signs of clutch slave or accumulator leaks?
  • OEM wheels? Nice aftermarket wheels? Or junk? Same with tires.
  • What's the 2/10 missing on the interior? Worn bolsters? interior paint scraped up? what color interior? What seats?
  • Road test, solid pull, no signs of boost leaks, crisp shifting, no obvious suspension issues?
The reality is that most buyers really don't completely know their way around these cars until they've owned them for at least six months, usually longer, so pick a good one that you can get eyes on, enjoy the ride.

Perhaps most importantly, do you like black? For me, it's kind of a no-go except for the metallic Basalt Black, which I'm pretty sure this one isn't.
Old 05-20-2019, 01:24 AM
LazySumday
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a basalt black 2003 TT. It has 16,200 miles on it. Black on black, with Factory Aero kit, 6 speed. Recent paint correction completed. I documented a mouse issue with one wire on this forum. Possibly thinking of selling it even though I have only owned it for 4 months. The reason is simply i am looking to purchase another business and the money could come in handy. $60k.
Old 05-20-2019, 11:40 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,876 Likes on 2,951 Posts

I am the human sticky.
You said it. It may be more apt to refer to yourself as a plague, but hey, we are just getting started.
Old 05-20-2019, 11:43 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Surfer161
i just bought a 2003 TT. whatever price you get it at, plan on at least $3K in maintence. spark plugs, power packs, brake pads and rotors, tires. rear tires last bout 5 k miles, plan on that. i had a c4s preciously for 35k miles, so i know and accept the costs of driving it. but it is worth it.
change all fluids if you dont know when it was done. and check the transmission service - if you dont know when it was done plan on it. the seals seep after a decade+. i am also planning on replacing the shock struts with in the first year.

these cars are supercars, and the upkeep reflects it. budget at least $2k per year and be happy if that is all you spend.

and then there are upgrades. if you use it as a street car, it wont be too much. if you even occasionally track it, budget at least 5k in the first 2 years. i am budgeting $5k this year.

i got my car at a low price, and promptly spent $2k in maintence (rotors, pads, fluids) and 0$5k in upgrades (tires, tune, sway bars, lowering springs) of course, i will be tracking the car 8-10 days this year.

i will probably get new intercoolers next year $3k.

i am lucky. i have been PCA for 40 years. this is my penultimate P car. my last one will be a coffin

surfer161 now at 72Y

but it is loads of fun. i told my kids my last check will bounce
awesome post and spot on.

right behind ya.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:02 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
You said it. It may be more apt to refer to yourself as a plague, but hey, we are just getting started.
More reading, less typing.

Quick Reply: Newbie looking for 996 Turbo buying tips