Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Diamond in the Rough

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2019, 12:43 AM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,428 Likes on 784 Posts

CEL's are just your cars way of telling you it loves you.
Old 08-09-2019, 12:58 PM
jkoravos
Pro

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by 911mhawk
overboost, check for leakage in the vacuum hose from the boost solenoid to wastegates.
failed N75 valve
https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_In...05-155-00-M244
Originally Posted by Capt. Obvious
You called it:
P0234 - overboost
P0455 - evap leak large
P1250 - boost deviation

Since it's cheap and 18 years old now, I'll just order a new N75 valve and inspect all the vacuum lines while I'm at it. The diverter valves and wastegates are newer, so I'm assuming it's not an issue with those.

As for the evap leak code, the previous owner was chasing that issue also. The car already has a new gas cap. I guess I'll check the valve on the charcoal canister, I hear those like to freeze up.

PORSCHESTRADAMUS!!!
Old 08-16-2019, 01:16 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

New N75 installed. The P1250 and P0234 codes are back (but no CEL).

Time to go boost leak hunting...

Also, another weird issue that has popped up a couple times:
While at freeway+ speeds, usually around when the spoiler would go up, the dash yells at me that there is a PSM failure and the ABS light comes on. When I turn off the car and restart it, the warning is gone and there are no codes. The wing hydraulics have been removed and the car has a GT2 harness in the deck lid. I guess this is another reason to get access to a PIWIS so I can make sure the hydraulic wing is properly coded out.
Old 08-16-2019, 01:54 PM
EVOMS
Former Sponsor

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Regarding the overboost, check the line going from the N75 to the wastegate actuators for leaks. Most commonly, the rubber hose near the actuators gets baked from the exhaust heat and rots away right at the clamp. I've also seen the plastic line from the N75 to the tee above the plenum get a hole in it from rubbing on the A/C compressor. Either way, the wastegates open by pressure being applied to them, and if there's a hole in the line feeding them that control pressure will escape and the wastegates won't open.

If the car is running aftermarket wastegates (usually noted by an S-shaped rod with a coupling nut between the actuator and the wastegate flapper arm, but can also be an OEM straight rod actuator that has been cut open and resealed using a circular ring around the air can), make sure the rods aren't bound up and use a Mityvac or similar to make sure both sides crack open at the same pressure, should be less than 1bar. The actuators should hold pressure reasonably well with a slow bleed down, though they often won't hold vacuum at all.

Sam
Old 08-16-2019, 01:59 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

When I replaced the N75 I carefully inspected all the lines associated with it as far as I could trace them, at least on the top of the engine. I'll crawl under there this weekend and check starting at the wastegates. The wastegates are aftermarket 1-bar units and they were "synched" when installed. Definitely wouldn't hurt to check them though.
Old 08-16-2019, 02:02 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 767 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by EVOMS
Regarding the overboost, check the line going from the N75 to the wastegate actuators for leaks. Most commonly, the rubber hose near the actuators gets baked from the exhaust heat and rots away right at the clamp. I've also seen the plastic line from the N75 to the tee above the plenum get a hole in it from rubbing on the A/C compressor.
Do leaks in these areas normally throw a code?
Old 08-20-2019, 01:51 AM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

I spent some time under the car this weekend inspecting all the pipes and hoses I could get my hands or eyes on. Everything looks and feels good. I didn't have enough time to do a proper leak test though. It was quite awhile ago calendar-wise, but not very long ago mileage-wise that the car had a clean leak test. I still plan to do one soon though.

Assuming I have no boost leaks, what are some other things that could be causing this? My current theory is a sub-par tune. Judging by the exhaust tips and my fuel mileage, the car seems to be running pretty rich.

Last edited by Capt. Obvious; 08-20-2019 at 12:45 PM.
Old 08-20-2019, 09:59 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 490 Likes on 327 Posts

Unless you drop the motor some and remove the Y pipe, you can't see many of the hoses that'll have leaks in them. I found this one only by removing the Y pipe entirely. You're probably running rich because you have boost leaks.
Old 08-20-2019, 03:56 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,727 Likes on 1,465 Posts

I didn't have enough time to do a proper leak test though. It was quite awhile ago calendar-wise, but not very long ago mileage-wise that the car had a clean leak test. I still plan to do one soon though.
Boost leak tests are very quick and easy once you know how (and you build or buy the right test plugs). Apart from getting the car up on a lift, ramps, or jack-stands for a bit more clearance, perhaps 15-30 minutes to confirm if you are holding pressure? Just pull both lower intercooler hoses which are easily accessible, plug one, pressureize the other, listen for leaks and see how long it holds pressure.

Finding the leaks if you are not holding pressure: Some are obvious and easy, others not so much.

Fixing the leaks: Ranges from not bad to total PITA (#16 check valve).
Old 08-27-2019, 09:24 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Still dealing with that overboost code, but I've been too busy with other projects and commitments to do anything about it. I need to go to the hardware store and buy parts for a pressure tester. Maybe this weekend.

I did have time to swap out my GT2 wing for an OEM wing though. I just prefer the small wing look. If anyone is interested in buying the GT2 spoiler, shoot me a message. I'd prefer a local sale, but I can ship if need be.

The spoiler is black, but it's hardly noticeable against the Lapis, so I'll just sport it as-is for now and get it painted this winter when I have a handful of other small items done.
Old 08-29-2019, 09:38 AM
LazySumday
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I love the Lapis blur color. Congratulations on the vehicle!
Old 08-29-2019, 07:08 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

i have today, messing with the wg actuators can be a slippery slope if you're "guesstimating".

it reminds me of when i was a kid, trying to synch my dual amal concentric carbs on my triumph. 1/4 turn here, and 1/8th turn there ? lol
Old 10-02-2019, 05:00 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Not much new with the car, just been driving it and collecting parts for this winter.

Does anyone know if the carpet from a Cabrio will work in a coupe? There are different part numbers, but when comparing them in pictures it looks like the only difference is in an area under the center console which wouldn't matter anyway. I'm currently searching for black carpet to replace the beige and there seems to be a lot more Cabrio carpets available than coupe.

Also, I'd like to go back to a more OEM looking engine compartment, so if anyone has a factory airbox they'd like to sell, shoot me a PM. I'd be happy to work out some kind of trade for my Evolution V-flow as well.

And a photo because why not:

Old 10-06-2019, 11:09 PM
America
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking sharp.
Old 10-07-2019, 02:03 AM
fuego
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I kinda like the 997 wheels from that angle.

Ever thought about painting them a single color? I've only seen them on one set. Really transformed the look of the wheels.

Quick Reply: A Diamond in the Rough