Sponsored by:

'19 GT2 RS vs 2003 996 tt

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2019, 09:58 PM
TrillyPop
Pro

Received 142 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by pancing
Well yeah but normally if you give an enthusiast a big smile and thumbs up? Normally its given back.
I think the big assumption here is that a GT2RS owner is an enthusiast. I would bet that the majority of GT2RS owners buy them for the status symbol...just like most pagani and koenigsegg owners...and don't give 2 ****s about the car itself or us and our 996TT.
Old 08-27-2019, 10:07 PM
kkabba
Racer

Received 167 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by TrillyPop
I think the big assumption here is that a GT2RS owner is an enthusiast. I would bet that the majority of GT2RS owners buy them for the status symbol...just like most pagani and koenigsegg owners...and don't give 2 ****s about the car itself or us and our 996TT.
My 2RS has 4000km on the odo and all have been exclusively driven on track. My track circle of friends of 10 has 2 other 2RS cars and them too are well tracked.

So status symbol theory of yours, although incredibly unoriginal, may also be flawed, based on my statistically limited sample size, albeit larger than yours of zero.
Old 08-27-2019, 10:13 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 767 Likes on 543 Posts

I think the big assumption here is that a GT2RS owner is an enthusiast.
It depends on what you mean by "enthusiast."

I know a guy who absolutely loves Porsches. He owns a GT2RS, a Carrera GT, and some GT3 model. He doesn't drive any of them very much at all, but he loves owning them. I'd call him a Porsche enthusiast.

There is no question that there are ****** who own high end Porsches (and other high end brands), just like there are ****** who own 996 Turbos.
Old 08-27-2019, 10:47 PM
TrillyPop
Pro

Received 142 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by kkabba
My 2RS has 4000km on the odo and all have been exclusively driven on track. My track circle of friends of 10 has 2 other 2RS cars and them too are well tracked.

So status symbol theory of yours, although incredibly unoriginal, may also be flawed, based on my statistically limited sample size, albeit larger than yours of zero.
Hey, welcome to the 996TT subforum! Yes you're right we don't have the data to really make either side of the argument. I can sit here and mutter jealous remarks at you because you can afford to own and track a GT2RS, and you can sit over there and mutter demeaning remarks at me for driving a $50k porsche and defend the 2RS crew. But let's not do that, we're all friends here. At the end of the day, I truly commend and respect you for tracking your GT2RS. I think that's an awesome and ballsy thing to do! But I still hold my "bet" that the majority (>50%) of GT2RS owners aren't really enthusiasts...as in they probably don't even know the displacement of the motor or how many valves per cylinder it has or whatever qualifier Dock can come up with that makes someone an "enthusiast." Most people with really expensive **** buy it for the status symbol...it's absolutely true. I love watches and I have some pretty nice ones, and I'm amazed when I comment on someone's $10k+ watch and they don't even know the model of the timepiece they are wearing. Same thing happens at cars n coffee all the time! Start having a conversation with an owner about their huracan or gt3rs or whatever, and you soon find out they have no clue about what they are driving. Again, props to you, but I don't think you are the norm...
Old 08-27-2019, 10:52 PM
kkabba
Racer

Hey, welcome to the 996TT subforum! Yes you're right we don't have the data to really make either side of the argument. I can sit here and mutter jealous remarks at you because you can afford to own and track a GT2RS, and you can sit over there and mutter demeaning remarks at me for driving a $50k porsche and defend the 2RS crew. But let's not do that, we're all friends here. At the end of the day, I truly commend and respect you for tracking your GT2RS. I think that's an awesome and ballsy thing to do! But I still hold my "bet" that the majority (>50%) of GT2RS owners aren't really enthusiasts...as in they probably don't even know the displacement of the motor or how many valves per cylinder it has or whatever qualifier Dock can come up with that makes someone an "enthusiast." Most people with really expensive **** buy it for the status symbol...it's absolutely true. I love watches and I have some pretty nice ones, and I'm amazed when I comment on someone's $10k+ watch and they don't even know the model of the timepiece they are wearing. Same thing happens at cars n coffee all the time! Start having a conversation with an owner about their huracan or gt3rs or whatever, and you soon find out they have no clue about what they are driving. Again, props to you, but I don't think you are the norm...
Sorry - you lost me at cars and coffee....
Old 08-27-2019, 10:55 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 767 Likes on 543 Posts

But I still hold my "bet" that the majority (>50%) of GT2RS owners aren't really enthusiasts...as in they probably don't even know the displacement of the motor or how many valves per cylinder it has or whatever qualifier Dock can come up with that makes someone an "enthusiast."
The "you" in my "It depends on what you mean by "enthusiast" is you, not me.
Old 08-28-2019, 03:03 AM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 125 Posts

I'd have to agree with your thoughts here, last couple of times I've seen one has been either on track or getting prepped to track.
Very cool you've racked up that much on track already!
Old 08-29-2019, 05:40 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I can't even contemplate the suggestion that a 2rs owner wouldn't be a die-hard porsche fanatic. if they weren't beforehand, surely they have to be one by the time they got home from the dealership? but yeah, that's a gt2rs at 50mph again, so who knows...

i just don't see them as "status symbols" per se. hell, even kaitlin jenner drives his/her gt3rs up here on barely travelled canyon roads for "fun".
he still looks good in a tennis skirt too, i have to say lol
Old 08-29-2019, 05:59 PM
kkabba
Racer

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
I can't even contemplate the suggestion that a 2rs owner wouldn't be a die-hard porsche fanatic. if they weren't beforehand, surely they have to be one by the time they got home from the dealership? but yeah, that's a gt2rs at 50mph again, so who knows...

i just don't see them as "status symbols" per se. hell, even kaitlin jenner drives his/her gt3rs up here on barely travelled canyon roads for "fun".
he still looks good in a tennis skirt too, i have to say lol

Not 50mph - but it was race school and close to freezing temp and the girl still was out there
Attached Images  
Old 08-29-2019, 07:03 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Not 50mph - but it was race school and close to freezing temp and the girl still was out there
i was referring to the one i followed last weekend on mulholland.

congrats on you having one!

/envious.. yet demonstrably, appreciative still lol
Old 08-29-2019, 09:58 PM
pancing
Drifting

Received 246 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
i was referring to the one i followed last weekend on mulholland.

congrats on you having one!

/envious.. yet demonstrably, appreciative still lol
I got the bird from a guy ina gt3rs today after i told him i loved his 991 gt3.

I seriously thought about you and how you might have felt. I truly thought the majority of gt3 owners were hardcore enthusiasts. I really was hoping to chase him and have a chat with him but he sped off like a maniac. Its okay the sounds his car made, made up for his rudeness.
Old 08-29-2019, 10:23 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 237 Likes on 171 Posts

I got the bird from a guy ina gt3rs today after i told him i loved his 991 gt3.

I seriously thought about you and how you might have felt. I truly thought the majority of gt3 owners were hardcore enthusiasts. I really was hoping to chase him and have a chat with him but he sped off like a maniac. Its okay the sounds his car made, made up for his rudeness.
Typical Douchebag!
Old 08-29-2019, 10:38 PM
pancing
Drifting

Originally Posted by mffarrell
Typical Douchebag!
Oh man im glad he made the car speak its language though.

He was young though, mid twenties looked like.
I didnt care much for him as i did the car though.

One day!
Old 08-29-2019, 10:43 PM
kkabba
Racer

Oh man im glad he made the car speak its language though.

He was young though, mid twenties looked like.
I didnt care much for him as i did the car though.

One day!
Seriously - why would a person give a middle finger after a complement with regards to his car?

Seems far fetched honestly.
Old 08-29-2019, 11:00 PM
pancing
Drifting

Seriously - why would a person give a middle finger after a complement with regards to his car?

Seems far fetched honestly.
I was in disbelief myself, which is why i was a bit doubtful in op's encounter until it happened to me today on a last quick run before storing my car in prep for dorian. Like 02996x50 said in his op the guy may been threatened and thought i wanted to race off the line.

I dunno man maybe some gt owners dont acknowledge nom gt cars?

Ive certainly seen it at the citrus pca meet.
Which is why i dont go to that one anymore.

Quick Reply: '19 GT2 RS vs 2003 996 tt