Turbo / Turbo S?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2019, 11:37 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
From the article...

"Porsche says it’s using the name so customers can equate it to top-level trims on its other vehicles..."
I could be wrong, but at one point, the 928 was the Porsche flagship car even when the 930 was being sold. Turbo meant force injected, not top trim level. I think Porsche just needs to break out a Sharpie at this stage.
Old 09-07-2019, 12:03 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 767 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by autobonrun
Turbo meant force injected, not top trim level.
Yes indeed.

I think Porsche just needs to break out a Sharpie at this stage.
I agree.

I wonder if this faux pas by Porsche will lead to owners de-badging their Taycans?
Old 09-07-2019, 12:44 AM
peritus
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
I think scavenging the exhaust gases of an all-electric car for more power is a fabulous idea!

Zero lag at least...

well it wouldn't even need exhaust gasses if the turbos are also electric... duh.

James
2005 Turbo S
Old 09-07-2019, 10:10 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,271 Likes on 1,457 Posts

We'll see how the Taycan does.
They already have more than the first year of production pre-sold. Almost as many as 911s sold last year.

https://thedriven.io/2019/07/31/pors...ted-for-debut/

I've paid attention the last 46 years.

They've done way better in the past.
No they haven't. Go back look how fast the "Carrera" name was corrupted.

And before we go any further I should state I agree the "Turbo" name on an electric car is stupid. But I also understand that Porsche did extensive market research before they took this step. They build the cars, they can name them whatever they want.

Last edited by Carlo_Carrera; 09-07-2019 at 11:03 AM.
Old 09-07-2019, 10:29 AM
Carsly
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

"Market Research" = the customers buying Cayennes and Macans en masse. Don't forget, Porsche is now the company that mostly sells rebadged VW group SUV's. Sports cars make up very little of their sales volumes

Sadly, I doubt many of them know what a turbocharger is. It's akin to BMW's M or Merc's AMG. heritage is lost on the uninformed.
Old 09-07-2019, 11:14 AM
ipman
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Carsly
"Sadly, I doubt many of them know what a turbocharger is. It's akin to BMW's M or Merc's AMG. heritage is lost on the uninformed.
I liken it to all of the Toyota's Tacomas and 4Runners driving around with RTTs on top expo style, they have the look and can say they have 'xyz' items. Heck, even Hoovie pointed out the opening of floodgates for the the AMG nomenclature when he recently picked up the green E63 wagon.
Old 09-07-2019, 11:43 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
They already have more than the first year of production pre-sold. Almost as many as 911s sold last year.
I think the first Tycans are more investment pieces. We'll see how they do over a longer period.

IMO, Porsche's marketing has been far better in the past. They certainly haven't completely bastardized the nomenclature before.
Old 09-07-2019, 12:12 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

And before we go any further I should state I agree the "Turbo" name on an electric car is stupid. But I also understand that Porsche did extensive market research before they took this step. They build the cars, they can name them whatever they want.
I hope you’re right about extensive market research. I recall the fiasco when GM’s extensive marketing tried to sell the NoVa in Spanish speaking countries. Personally I think calling an electric car a turbo goes beyond bad marketing to false advertising. They could have just used letters on the end to signify increased power or trim levels.

I’m glad Musk is calling them out. Maybe I’ll call a water cooled Porsche ‘air cooled’, because H2O has an oxygen molecule. No more ‘last of the air cooled’ claims.
Old 09-07-2019, 12:26 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Personally I think calling an electric car a turbo goes beyond bad marketing to false advertising. They could have just used letters on the end to signify increased power or trim levels.
^This.
Old 09-07-2019, 01:02 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

This seems well written and technical for anyone interested. Heading for my rocking chair for an hour or so.

https://jalopnik.com/an-extremely-de...gin-1837802533
Old 09-07-2019, 02:14 PM
Tanks95
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

...And before we go any further I should state I agree the "Turbo" name on an electric car is stupid. But I also understand that Porsche did extensive market research before they took this step. They build the cars, they can name them whatever they want.
Carlo, you're taking this waaaay too serious, it was a humor thread meant to poke fun.

...deeep breath....1...2...3..4....5...6...7.....8...9.....10 okay, this is just fun.
Old 09-07-2019, 02:42 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tanks95
Carlo, you're taking this waaaay too serious, it was a humor thread meant to poke fun.

...deeep breath....1...2...3..4....5...6...7.....8...9.....10 okay, this is just fun.
I think you are taking me too seriously.

Remember I am the guy that posted the Turbo sunglasses.

And clearly there are some here who want see Porsche fail. They are the ones taking this and the Porsche brand way too seriously. It is just a car.
Old 09-07-2019, 02:48 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

It's staring in a movie. The full marketing blitz is on.

https://drivetribe.com/p/the-porsche...TIiJsh-0_3WAiQ
Old 09-07-2019, 03:03 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I think the first Tycans are more investment pieces. We'll see how they do over a longer period...
Porsche has publicly stated that 80% of the pre-sales have been to non-Porsche owners. Those people are not buy it as an investment. They are buying it for the eco-chic status. The streets of LA , Seattle, NYC and San Francisco will be packed with these things.
Old 09-07-2019, 03:15 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 463 Likes on 294 Posts

I don't understand all the hate for the taycan.

1) I hate electric cars with a vengeance, but I welcome the Taycan with open arms because anything that can put a dent into that dooshbag Musk and his fecking Tesla cult travesty is a hero in my book.
2) It looks like a panny? Yes, it does a bit, what did you expect, a spaceship? The Mission E prototype was very obviously never going to be a viable production car. I think the Taycan looks like a stunningly beautiful, elegant sedan.
3) Turbo is not so silly. The top dogs in every Porsche model type are called Turbo. There have been numberless non-technical uses of the word turbo over the years. Turbo C++ springs to mind, maybe someone here will remember it. False advertising? Give me a ****ing break.
4) It's so far superior to the fecking model S in every possible way, it's not even funny. I can't wait for the Model S to go to the nurburgring and overheat at the third corner.
5) If a Tesla made in a tent costs $100k, a Taycan made by Porsche should be $1m. The 70 years of racing heritage and technical excellence alone justify a 3x markup over a Model S.
The following 2 users liked this post by Freddie Two Bs:
Carlo_Carrera (09-08-2019), FRUNKenstein (09-09-2019)

Quick Reply: Turbo / Turbo S?