Sponsored by:

ppf and ceramic coatings diy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2020, 01:29 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 366 Posts
Default ppf and ceramic coatings diy?

thinking of applying ceramic coating to my car. I saw a diy one at Werks Reunion couple years ago, and have seen some others advertised. Anybody try it and have one to recommend. Also want to put ppf on my headlights and on the top of the rear bumper of wife's Q5 to protect from sports equipment (sports have to resume at some point right?). Maybe put ppf on hood as well as it must be pretty easy on a flat surface.
Please share experience and recommendations.
Old 04-19-2020, 02:23 AM
TrillyPop
Pro

Received 142 Likes on 106 Posts

I just did a ceramic coating, like today. My first experience with it. Pretty easy to apply, but you really should do a paint correction beforehand (or at the very least you have to do a chemical and mechanical decontamination of the paint). Don't have any long term experience with ceramic coating. Had PPF before but never applied it myself. Have applied vinyl wrap and imaging it would be the same.
Old 04-19-2020, 08:05 AM
Mezger Man
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

As far as PPF goes, unless you have done it before I would get a pro. You have to know the tricks of the trade, as they say. The ceramic coat is another story. There have been new products coming out claiming to be do it yourself sprays. I have even bought one to add to my ceramic finish. I would talk to the PPF shop and ask them questions pertaining to the ceramic coat. I've had two cars done with PPF and ceramic coat and it makes a world of difference. Paint correction is must. Here's a pic of the PPF on the headlights. They are done in a light smoke wrap.

Last edited by Mezger Man; 04-19-2020 at 08:24 AM.
Old 04-19-2020, 12:57 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Hey Trilly Pop which ceramic coat did you use? I do a paint correction each year so no problem there.
Old 04-19-2020, 03:56 PM
TrillyPop
Pro

Originally Posted by Turbodan
Hey Trilly Pop which ceramic coat did you use? I do a paint correction each year so no problem there.
I used Blackfire Pro, but CQUK and a variety of similar finishes are also very popular and pretty easy to apply.
Old 04-19-2020, 04:29 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,878 Likes on 2,953 Posts

I used Meguires Ceramic after using AutoGlym clay bar and detailer to get a smooth, glass like finish on the 991, as noted below. The finish was exquisite - absolutely lovely. The telltale will be to see how long it lasts. A side note, it did take me the better part of 12 hours to achieve this, the magic is (apparently) in making sure the base (application) surface is properly prepared. The 996 and M5 are next.

Cheers,

Old 04-19-2020, 11:25 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I should also note that there is Expel film on the hood and fenders - it has been on the car for 2 years and is starting to peel around the leading edges of things, namely the hood and headlights.It also does not really repel debris as stated by the manufacturer - stuff actually gets stuck in it. I clay barred it too.

It is not impressive and am happy the dealer 'threw it in', because I most certainly will not pay for it, ever.
Old 04-19-2020, 11:34 PM
Mezger Man
Racer

I have 3m film on my Alfa and it has held up great for almost 3 years. The 996 has expel so only time will tell.
Old 04-19-2020, 11:43 PM
TrillyPop
Pro

Yes, ceramic coating and PPF definitely serve different purposes. I view the PPF as a temporary shield. It will absorb the hit of a lot of rock chips and things. Some will go through of course and damage the paint. Eventually, it will get old and tired, yellowed, peel up, and will need to be removed. Additionally, the paint underneath it and the paint around it will age a little bit differently.
Ceramic coating is essentially a long lasting wax/sealant. It is an extremely thin yet durable coating that helps repel dirt and water, making the car prettier and easier to clean. But it can still get swirl marks if not touched carefully. And it certainly does nothing more to protect the paint than a good wax or sealant would do.
Old 04-20-2020, 12:18 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

the ceramic coating uses nano technology to fill in the pourousness (is that a word)of the paint to make it smooth so dirt doesn't get in and water will bead right off as well. This is how it was described to me.
Old 04-20-2020, 02:16 AM
pancing
Drifting

Received 246 Likes on 205 Posts

the ceramic coating uses nano technology to fill in the pourousness (is that a word)of the paint to make it smooth so dirt doesn't get in and water will bead right off as well. This is how it was described to me.
If youve ever used thompsons waterseal its the same principle, chemicals bond Or sometimes absorb into substrate and stay there until its all washed off or deteriorates. Best time to ceramic coat your car is now!
Old 04-20-2020, 11:06 PM
Receiver
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I’m thinking of doing the same Danny so maybe we can compare notes. I’m waiting for some warmer weather so I can clean and clay bar. Where I go after that, I’m not sure yet.
Old 04-20-2020, 11:39 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I think that is very accurate; when I say glass smooth, I mean glass smooth.

I'll never go back now.
Old 04-21-2020, 09:04 AM
M Pete
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Ceramic newb question. Do you do ceramic on the entire car and PPF over it? or will the ceramic not allow the PPF to stick properly? My gut tells me no ceramic under a PPF.
Old 04-21-2020, 09:58 AM
Mezger Man
Racer

PPF first, than ceramic coat for the reason you stated.
The following users liked this post:
THP23 (04-24-2020)

Quick Reply: ppf and ceramic coatings diy?