jeffreysurfs
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

you relocate the climate contols. there is a kit for it
Old 04-26-2020, 10:56 AM
foxkart61
5th Gear

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought a used iPad to mount in my 996TT ... has GPS, connects to my phone .. provides Navigation, apps, etc with awesome graphics ... why are you guys adding Fake Music, when there is a "Mezger headunit" in the rear??
The following 2 users liked this post by foxkart61:
FRUNKenstein (04-26-2020), M Pete (04-26-2020)
Old 04-26-2020, 11:01 AM
jeffreysurfs
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

this simply seems overpriced for what you get. Thank you for the review and install pics. Nice interior colors (BTW)

who is really making these? Alpine, Harmon, Blaup? I dont believe any auto stereo makers are German. Lots of markup for a Japanese radio made in China with a P logo slapped on.
luckily my 02 was not MOST and I was able to install a double din Pioneer Android Auto/Apple Carplay unit that integrated well, utilizing stock amp and speakers/sub and the sound is decent enough for the 996 and $400-500 installed.
The following 2 users liked this post by jeffreysurfs:
tecbarrera (06-29-2021), wkf94025 (04-27-2020)
Old 04-26-2020, 11:08 AM
T Kono
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 87 Posts

Even with his objections, still seems like a move up from the factory unit. No wireless, so what? Plug the phone in, replace the CD holder with the Porsche cubby, it's a good place to keep the phone while connected.
Old 04-26-2020, 11:14 AM
blockhed
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by oharal
I saw this on instagram yesterday and it looks sweet! No Android Auto is a major, major bust though.... its useless to me
Apple CarPlay and GOOGLE® Android Auto are now embedded in the PCCM Plus
Old 04-26-2020, 12:00 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by foxkart61
...why are you guys adding Fake Music, when there is a "Mezger headunit" in the rear??
+1
Old 04-26-2020, 03:24 PM
rainer
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

the manufacturer printed on the back is Kraemer Electronics in Germany, however it has a sticker which states Made in China. Thus Kraemer is the Porsche supplier but in fact its a China headunit, like most you get on the market.

I don’t see any issue installing another aftermarket unit in my 04 turbo as there‘s MOST adapters on the market which work fine. It‘s just a one-time extra 150 $.

and yes, Android Auto is part of the new PCCM .. we did not test it however as we only had iPhones at hand.

Originally Posted by jeffreysurfs
this simply seems overpriced for what you get. Thank you for the review and install pics. Nice interior colors (BTW)

who is really making these? Alpine, Harmon, Blaup? I dont believe any auto stereo makers are German. Lots of markup for a Japanese radio made in China with a P logo slapped on.
luckily my 02 was not MOST and I was able to install a double din Pioneer Android Auto/Apple Carplay unit that integrated well, utilizing stock amp and speakers/sub and the sound is decent enough for the 996 and $400-500 installed.
Old 04-26-2020, 06:17 PM
ducnine
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 16 Posts

Did you check out the sound quality of the PCCM Plus by chance? If so, how was it?

Currently I have a Bluetooth modification on my CDR23 and the BT input is a mono signal that is routed through all the speakers. It gets the job done for now but this PCCM Plus is an interesting solution, especially if the sound quality is not compromised.

I do agree the Metzger Soundtrack is better, but on occasion its good to listen to some other tunes.

Old 04-27-2020, 02:27 AM
rainer
Instructor

BT was better than with my current PCM / Dension setup.

iPod/Carplay (hence wired) was similar.
Old 04-27-2020, 10:48 AM
wkf94025
Rennlist Member

Received 532 Likes on 247 Posts

I am a dyed-in-the-wool stock-is-good owner, but the flight deck is the one area where I will depart from that mantra. Thanks for the review @rainer, and not surprised she's not Sharon Stone after all, despite the Porsche logo. I'll stay with my Kenwood double DIN game plan currently in process. As to Mezger head unit, my 996TT has one of those as well (non-MOST! ;-), but I do need to pay for my ICE toys with a business call from time to time, and nav to business meetings while avoiding LEO, so quality Bluetooth and Waze are important to me. And for those interested in a well-integrated Torque Pro display of real time system metrics, good luck on the factory supporting you in that. It would be highly unusual for a proprietary, closed architecture vendor (e.g.: Apple) to allow/encourage that.
The following users liked this post:
rainer (04-30-2020)
Old 04-29-2020, 12:47 PM
Michael-Dallas
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rainer
Guys, some real world feedback from first testing, no more speculations ;-)
Thanks for your feedback! Are there RCA connections in the back of the unit to support aftermarket amplifier and RCA patch cables? Or, are all of the connectors only available to plug in to the factory harnesses?
Old 04-30-2020, 02:20 AM
rainer
Instructor

I don‘t recall any RCA connectors, just factory harness..

After this disappointing test I still have not decided whether to stick w/ my current Dension which works fine for me, or changing to a new 2-DIN device (Kenwood, etc) to go for wireless carplay. No hurry..

All the critical functions are there w/ Dension (BT phone, online nav w/ voice over the PCM, iPod function) and work fine for the last 8 years. Even the PCM maps are not too old (2015 I believe).

If I were w/o a Dension, I‘d upgrade to a state of the art 2-DIN device...

Originally Posted by Michael-Dallas
Thanks for your feedback! Are there RCA connections in the back of the unit to support aftermarket amplifier and RCA patch cables? Or, are all of the connectors only available to plug in to the factory harnesses?
Old 04-30-2020, 03:47 AM
TrillyPop
Pro

Received 142 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
+1
+2. I haven't used the radio in my 996 for years. I have other cars for that, and would rather spend my mod money on go fast parts...or some nice speakers for inside the house.
Old 04-30-2020, 11:16 PM
jayzbird
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by rainer
I don‘t recall any RCA connectors, just factory harness..

After this disappointing test I still have not decided whether to stick w/ my current Dension which works fine for me, or changing to a new 2-DIN device (Kenwood, etc) to go for wireless carplay. No hurry..

All the critical functions are there w/ Dension (BT phone, online nav w/ voice over the PCM, iPod function) and work fine for the last 8 years. Even the PCM maps are not too old (2015 I believe).

If I were w/o a Dension, I‘d upgrade to a state of the art 2-DIN device...
With one of these you can add BT audio + track advance (at least it worked with my Dension/CDR23).

Bovee 1000 Wireless Bluetooth Music Interface Adapter for in Car iPod Integration
Amazon Amazon
Old 05-01-2020, 03:18 AM
rainer
Instructor

My Dension GW500S BT does BT audio & track advance, but the quality isn’t good.

I hook the cell up for charging anyway on longer trips so I rather use iPod mode. My cell cradle sits where the built-in phone receiver was located before (which has obviously become obsolete removing the factory phone module).

The only change required over the last years was a lightning adapter as Dension had the old Apple 30-pin connector...

Quick Reply: New PCCM - finally a good solution for headunit upgrade