Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New PCCM - finally a good solution for headunit upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2020, 08:23 PM
russpe
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a 997 I'd like to upgrade too so I did a little digging on this PCCM+ issue. Sadly, I found this...

"We also noticed some comments asking whether the system would fit 997 generation 911s, or if Porsche planned to release one that would fit in the future. We reached out to Porsche for comment on this. They told us the system won’t work with 997 generation cars, nor do they have any plans right now to release such a system."

Bummer.
Old 09-17-2020, 04:11 PM
peritus
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Ray, thanks for the detailed info! It's tempting, even if just for the carplay and bluetooth audio. I just moved to Wiesbaden Germany with my 2005 Turbo, and at higher speeds on the autobahn, google maps and waze on my iphone shut down!! I guess it uses too much CPU trying to keep up. The sat nav in the new unit probably would not have that issue.

Do you know if it displays the speed limit and unlimited zones on the nav display? Most new cars have this and I've become heavily reliant that feature.

Cheers,
James
Originally Posted by rainer
Guys, some real world feedback from first testing, no more speculations ;-) :

We did a quick test last weekend on this unit in my own car and quickly decided to not install it!

IMHO it's not worth the price.

Main functions missing and main issues I determined quickly:
- no Wireless Carplay
- no Trip computer integration, thus none of the car data available on the CAN bus is displayed
- no wireless connectivity whatsoever, apart from standard HFP bluetooth for phone
- microphone is a standard aftermarket solution - to be glued on top of the steering column

We hooked it up quickly and tested successfully:

- Digital Radio (DAB) even w/o antenna (SAT radio should be available for the US as well)
- Apple Carplay, cable connected
- Sound output to Bose (via attached MOST connector, separate box which comes with the PCCM)
- BT connection to iPhone (phone connection/quality not tested as no mic installed)
- no diagnosis possible with Piwis, it's not integrated into the car bus and diagnostics. Strange since it shows CAN Bus connectivity along with MOST etc in the display. (2 permament errors remain as PCM is determined "missing" by Piwis. This is stated in the installation instructions which are NOT included but have to be retrieved from your dealer separately)

We did not test to install the antenna splitter for AM/AM plus DAB, after the disappointing functions which we missed we did not even care to test the GPS navigation (the SD card required was left in OEM package so we could turn it back in).

What I liked was
- the look & feel
- GUI very much like my Macan's PCM4.
- it's easy to install and works right away
- date issue is fixed

Some pics attached. What you see for GPS navigation is Google Maps from iPhone (Carplay).

Cheers
Ray

Old 09-21-2020, 08:00 AM
rainer
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

James,

if your iPhone stalls using Waze oder Google Maps there must be something wrong w/ your phone or GPS reception. I never experienced that, not even with an iPone 4S.
You might want to check an external GPS sensor to x-check what's wrong. I personally use an XGPS160 sensor for occasional acceleration testing 100-200 or 100-300 km/h (as it serves 10Hz instead of built-in 1 Hz GPS bandwidth). Even with 10 Hz (thus 10 times the data volume and throuput), never had any issues.
Waze and maps work just fine for me..

Maybe have a second iPhone just running in parallel w/ maybe a passenger checking. It can't be the CPU - iPhones have more computing power than needed to track 1Hz GPS data.

Re your question on speed limit display: I don't know since we stopped testing after a short mock-up as you can see on my pics. I did not care for the built-in nav system after discovering it does not have any online (=RTTI) capability. You would of course have that using CarPlay (e.g. w/ waze), provided you fix your reception issue with your iPhone.

Cheers
Ray

Last edited by rainer; 09-21-2020 at 08:02 AM.
The following users liked this post:
peritus (09-21-2020)
Old 09-21-2020, 09:22 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 237 Likes on 171 Posts

Does anyone know what extra parts required for a non-PCM installation, meaning no existing factory PCM?

I was told the following parts are required:

1 ea 996 552 339 00 01C (use your trim color code - 01C is satin black) A/C Panel Trim
1 ea
996 552 231 12 01C (use your trim color code - 01C is satin black) Support Frame
1 ea 996 552 653 02 Retaining Bracket

Also, where do you install the GPS antenna? There are no instructions in the kit for installation, and the dealer said I would have to speak to the service department, ya right!

If I can’t get the installation instructions, this will be a hard pass for me. Dealer wants $1500 labor to install for a 3 hour job. lol
Old 09-22-2020, 12:15 PM
T Kono
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 87 Posts

Hey when I installed the factory NAV radio in the Viper, the antenna just went under the dash, up close to the windshield. It did not need to be out in the open. Functioned perfectly.
Old 09-22-2020, 12:31 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,428 Likes on 784 Posts

I have installed the GPS antenna under the dash on several 996s. Most of them will fit under the light sensor in the front center of the dash.
Old 09-22-2020, 12:32 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Originally Posted by T Kono
Hey when I installed the factory NAV radio in the Viper, the antenna just went under the dash, up close to the windshield. It did not need to be out in the open. Functioned perfectly.
Thanks!

I know the factory gps antenna is under the security sensor on top of the dash just under the windshield.
Old 06-29-2021, 10:02 AM
tecbarrera
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mezger Man
I feel that the beauty in these cars are the lack of the hi tech stuff. A simple fm transmitter plugged into the lighter gives me what i need.
Which FM transmitter do you use (and have you got a link for it?) My cigarette lighter socket can't seem to keep mine in.
Old 06-29-2021, 09:42 PM
yvesatlanta
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 22 Posts

Seems to be a lot of money for a marginal upgrade. My Pannie Turbo S has the Burmeister : OMG ! The sound of that system is pure audio heaven.
On my 996TT I went with a Kenwood Excellon HU, Pioneer amp, Pioneer subwoofer in enclosure and Focal speakers. Really transforms the audio, and I've already been able to enjoy it for the past 6 years...I don't care about aesthetics on this one, it's the audio experience that counts.
Trying 'to make the MOST work' is always going to deliver a sub-par experience...

The following 2 users liked this post by yvesatlanta:
rael (07-04-2021), tecbarrera (06-29-2021)
Old 06-29-2021, 09:48 PM
tecbarrera
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That headunit looks pretty damn good to me! (I'll probably skip the amps though... Looks like a bit too much cutting through the upholstery and wiring for my comfort levels.. (my 996tt has been a bit of a garage queen. Previous owner kept it in an aircraft hangar for over a decade. It's got around 10,500km on it. The thing is mint.)
Old 07-04-2021, 10:01 AM
MB 911
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

If I have a 04 996 TT with double din nav cd player Porsche radio that means I have "most" and installation should be mostly plug and play?
Old 07-04-2021, 12:00 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Originally Posted by MB 911
If I have a 04 996 TT with double din nav cd player Porsche radio that means I have "most" and installation should be mostly plug and play?
Absolutely! Plus you can reuse your mounting brackets and gps antenna assuming that you have a PCM 2.0 already installed.
Old 07-16-2021, 07:27 PM
dsu*
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Anyone looking to sell their old head unit and surrounds? I'm looking for CDR-23. Please pm me.
Old 12-20-2021, 03:43 PM
996TS
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 46 Posts

Wanted to chime in that the PCCM+ is an amazing upgrade and worth every $.
- Stock look, replaces the sticky buttons from original interface
- Ingrates perfectly with day/night sensors, fade/balance and back-end controls
- You can buy a dongle for wireless carplay, not an issue at all...
- Waze or Google Maps can be used right off of your phone (no need for navi maps)
- Spotify interface and overall apple carplay interface is fantastic (best UX for any car today)
- Flashes a nice Porsche logo when you start the car
- No change to parasitic load when the vehicle is parked / stored
- 997s are jealous there isn't a similar option for them yet

Also, I had the microphone installed within the sensor / microphone cavity to the left of the dash gauge cluster, no change to stock look and nothing on my steering column

I wouldn't hesitate to do it again

Last edited by 996TS; 12-20-2021 at 03:44 PM.
Old 12-21-2021, 09:12 AM
Victor881198
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 996TS
- You can buy a dongle for wireless carplay, not an issue at all...
Have you a link or more information for this item? I'm looking into this modification and you make a valid point about the maps streaming from the phone connection, because UAE don't allow activation of the sat' nav'.

Quick Reply: New PCCM - finally a good solution for headunit upgrade