Sponsored by:

Clutch actuation issue - help \ thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2020, 04:34 PM
r6vr6
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Clutch actuation issue - help \ thoughts

So this weekend I went to meet a buddy for a drive. While driving I noticed the gear changes appeared to be getting more difficult like perhaps I was being lazy with the clutch pedal. This was especially true for the 1-2 shift. Down shifting for a corner posed no detectable increase in effort and appeared fine. The clutch was holding fine with no detectable slip etc and leaving from a stop was okay. We drove for about 1.5 hrs or so and the 1-2 shift just kept getting more difficult. It seemed if I shifted with the engine speed lower like driving to work or other non spirited driving that the shifting was better but still not "normal". So the fun day was over and I drove back home 2hrs. About 5 mi from home I came across a hellcat challenger while rolling. We chit chatted at the light and I went to take off and I could no longer shift after leaving the light. ( I left the light at a normal slow take off engine speed but did give it pretty decent throttle prior to attempting to shift to 2nd) The pedal went to the floor and there was a pretty nasty chatter seemingly coming from the trans\ engine area. I was able to gently get it into 3rd and limped home to my cul-de-sac. There was no getting into gear with the engine running after shutting it down and trying to start it back up. With the help of my wife and neighbor we got it in the garage by pushing it

My initial thought was the dreaded slave cylinder. After looking around the forum it seemed like that the info confirmed it. However, there was no loss of fluid to the ground at the clutch master cylinder, slave, or power steering pump. I ordered the rennfix rebuild kit and a new accumulator. The rennfix rebuild kit went in without issue and I was very careful using plastic picks and cleaning everything thoroughly. I put the slave cylinder back in and bled it out. Much to my disappointment it the rebuilt slave cyl and new accumulator had no affect. It appears the slave cyl is working based on the video below with the endoscope but I still have the chatter noise when the clutch pedal is not pushed. I can still not put it in gear with the engine running with the clutch pedal pushed. While depressing the clutch pedal you can feel a pulsation in the pedal. With the engine off of course it goes into gear without issue. I am worried that my issue is going to require the trans to come out. Hopefully perhaps the rebuild kit just isn’t as good as a new slave cyl. Looking for some advice.

Here are some videos that might help:

Slave cylinder actuation engine off:

Slave cylinder actuation engine @ idle:

Engine at idle trans in neutral chatter sound:

Engine at idle trans in neutral intermittent clutch pedal depressing:

The following 2 users liked this post by r6vr6:
hmch996t (06-12-2020), SOS (06-15-2020)
Old 06-12-2020, 04:55 PM
judd944
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I bet the PO totally knew that was on the way to breaking in 5-7 years so he sold it.
Old 06-12-2020, 05:43 PM
Third-Reef
Three Wheelin'

Received 160 Likes on 114 Posts

i think your friction disc or pressure plate is coming apart. Sounds like time for a clutch job.
Old 06-12-2020, 06:16 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,727 Likes on 1,465 Posts

Definitely not a slave issue!

...but you might want to consider the GT2 slave swap while you have your transmission down for repairs.
Old 06-12-2020, 07:23 PM
jpflip
Three Wheelin'

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts

Agree with the above. Just like to mention your videos are really well made!!!
Old 06-14-2020, 06:36 PM
r6vr6
Racer

Well I played with my $27 endoscope some more. I see one of the rings that I believe is part of the release bearing broken and pushing on the pressure plate "finger".

Problem: (bottom right of pic)

Problem: (bottom right of pic)

definitely have a sprung hub disk

The following users liked this post:
SOS (06-15-2020)
Old 06-15-2020, 10:41 AM
Third-Reef
Three Wheelin'

Received 160 Likes on 114 Posts

Nice work with the endoscope. That piece of metal looks like sheet metal. Possibly the shield or housing on the TO bearing. Bummer, clutch job time. Possibly only some small parts and not a whole clutch/flywheel
Old 06-15-2020, 12:38 PM
r6vr6
Racer

Well I am going to use this as my excuse to get a clutch that can handle billet wheel turbos and supporting mods down the road. Bummer to have remove the trans for a $200 part but I've always had it in the back of my head that my stock clutch needed to be treated nicely so it wouldn't get toasted.
Old 07-28-2020, 06:49 PM
r6vr6
Racer

Here are some pics of the carnage from the 1st replacement clutch done at a different shop under prior ownership. One of the inner hub springs made it out and wedged itself into the pressure plate. The throw out bearing rings were also mangled. (in plastic baggie) The clicking sound in the videos above had to be the clutch disc contacting the spring.

Quick Reply: Clutch actuation issue - help \ thoughts