Sponsored by:

Function First trans mount

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2020, 12:54 AM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Function First trans mount

Finally getting around to installation of the FF trans mounts. Anyone know the torque specs for two r&l side mounts? TIA (image is from FF of a standard 996)
Old 08-05-2020, 05:42 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,877 Likes on 2,952 Posts

Unsure off the top of my mind, but I know it sure helped clean up the shifter.

Thought it was your car for a minute until I read the caption - marveled at how clean YOU got it...
Old 08-05-2020, 09:30 PM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
Unsure off the top of my mind, but I know it sure helped clean up the shifter.

Thought it was your car for a minute until I read the caption - marveled at how clean YOU got it...
cant wait to see feel the difference. I just installed the wevo engine mounts no real time on them as of yet. I’m sure changing both at the same time will be very noticeable. FYI here’s some toque specs off the manual for future reference for others. Transmission Tightening torques
Location Thread Tightening torque Nm (ftlb.)

Studs on front−axle cross member M8 20 Nm (15 ftlb.)

Front transmission support on transmission M10 65 Nm (48 ftlb.)

Front transmission support on front−axle cross member M10 65 Nm (48 ftlb.)

Rear transmission support on body M10 65 Nm (48 ftlb.)

Rear transmission support on transmission mount M10 x 90 65 Nm (48 ftlb.)

Drive shafts on front−axle final drive M8 39 Nm (29 ftlb.)

Diagonal braces on body and front−axle cross member M12 100 Nm (74 ftlb.)

Tank strap on body M8 x 40 23 Nm (17 ftlb.)

Pipe holder on transmission support M6 7 Nm (5 ftlb.)
Old 08-06-2020, 01:57 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I was going to go with the 964 engine mounts, but could not get them as they were out of stock.

Are the Wevo ones well reviewed?
Old 08-06-2020, 03:27 PM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

I was going to go with the 964 engine mounts, but could not get them as they were out of stock.

wevo are well built different type of construction than 964 the housing top cap appears to be 6061 and hard anodized w milspec hardware precision fit and finished the stud was pre lubed with anti-seaz. Top notch construction.
Old 08-06-2020, 04:24 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,734 Likes on 1,010 Posts

I would do a bit more research into the Wevo/RSS/Rennline mounts. They are beautifully machined but a number of guys have had issues with the PU inserts deforming and the mounts becoming sloppy in relatively short order as can be seen in the link below. I have no experience with the Wevo's personally but ran the OEM 964RS mounts for years with success. I am using solids now.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-...ount-wear.html

Last edited by powdrhound; 08-06-2020 at 05:14 PM.
The following users liked this post:
LinwoodM (08-08-2020)
Old 08-06-2020, 04:34 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I did read, but cannot recall who the manufacturer was, that the urethane was severely deformed after a weekend at the track. Manufacturer replaced, but it sounded like a bit of a gong show.

There may be challenges associated with matching the durometer of the urethane to acceptable NVH standards, while still retaining the compliance of a rubber product. One would think that a urethane has better durability than the comparable rubber product, but only if you get the mixture right on your urethane...

Hard mounts must be fun.
Old 08-06-2020, 04:51 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

I did read, but cannot recall who the manufacturer was, that the urethane was severely deformed after a weekend at the track. Manufacturer replaced, but it sounded like a bit of a gong show.

There may be challenges associated with matching the durometer of the urethane to acceptable NVH standards, while still retaining the compliance of a rubber product. One would think that a urethane has better durability than the comparable rubber product, but only if you get the mixture right on your urethane...

Hard mounts must be fun.
I suspect the problem is the design of the mount itself rather than the material and maybe they already redesigned/rectified it somehow. Maybe under street use it's not a problem but when greater loads are encountered with track use they deform. Don't know, just have read about this happening to a number of track guys. I may be wrong but the RSS/Rennline/Wevo mounts are different in function from the OEM 964RS mounts. I beat the hell out of the RS mounts at the track for about 6 years and to my surprise they were perfect when I took them out to sell them. Interestingly, the hard mounts are no big deal. I can put my hand on the engine when idling and detect no undue vibration, it's silky smooth. Really weird.

Last edited by powdrhound; 08-06-2020 at 05:47 PM.
Old 08-06-2020, 04:53 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Silky smooth - no doubt somewhat attributed to the beautifully balanced and blueprinted 4.0...

Old 08-06-2020, 05:08 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Silky smooth - no doubt somewhat attributed to the beautifully balanced and blueprinted 4.0...

We didn't do anything fancy actually. I simply weighed all the pistons and rods and everything came within 1-2 grams. The Cup crank and IMS may also have a role in the overall harmonics and balance of the engine as I have none of the rattle that a typical TT Mezger has. This is all speculation but GT3/Cup motors also do not have any of the "marble in a can" sounds that is oftentimes present on TT motors which leads me to believe it may to do with those different rotating assemblies....

Last edited by powdrhound; 08-06-2020 at 05:36 PM.
Old 08-06-2020, 05:27 PM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by powdrhound
I would do a bit more research into the Wevo/RSS/Rennline mounts. They are beautifully machined but a number of guys have had issues with the PU inserts deforming and the mounts becoming sloppy in relatively short order as can be seen in the link below. I have no experience with the Wevo's personally but ran the OEM 964RS mounts for years with success. I am using solids now.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-...ount-wear.html
Thanks I will keep an eye out I don’t expect them to last forever. My time driving is mainly street canyon these days. If I get a few years out of em I’m good.
Old 08-06-2020, 11:05 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by powdrhound
We didn't do anything fancy actually. I simply weighed all the pistons and rods and everything came within 1-2 grams. The Cup crank and IMS may also have a role in the overall harmonics and balance of the engine as I have none of the rattle that a typical TT Mezger has. This is all speculation but GT3/Cup motors also do not have any of the "marble in a can" sounds that is oftentimes present on TT motors which leads me to believe it may to do with those different rotating assemblies....
I figured you'd be weighing a difference of 1/1000th of a gram...

Old 08-07-2020, 04:33 PM
SOS
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Are transmission mounts different between manual and tiptronic cars? I found the FF mount inserts on Pelican, but they say it's for Tiptronic transmissions only. No manual options available.

Quick Reply: Function First trans mount