Sponsored by:

Brake Pedal Vibration At Low Speed

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2020, 11:19 PM
Ryan996TT
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Brake Pedal Vibration At Low Speed

So usually when I’m backing up or just generally moving at slow speed and braking, I’ve been getting the brake pedal vibrating intermittently for a couple seconds at a time. Sometimes it throws PSM/ABS lights and tells me brake failure drive to workshop. The brakes work fine, this issue keeps popping up at low speeds.

I initially thought the brakes needed to be bled, as perhaps it was an air bubble in the lines. However I’ve never experienced that and I’m not sure what that feels like.

My local Indy shop who kept the car for days waiting to experience this intermittent issue said that they didn’t think it was cause for bleeding the brake lines and didn’t suggest we go that route. They checked the brake sensors and saw they were newer. They couldn’t figure it out in the hour I paid for and I didn’t feel like going down the rabbit hole on it so I took it home.

Anyone experience this or have any ideas?
Old 08-06-2020, 12:00 AM
k9turbo
Three Wheelin'

Received 258 Likes on 210 Posts

check your rotors. it's not common for them to warp, but it happens and might well cause pulsing/vibration etc.
Old 08-06-2020, 06:07 AM
Ryan996TT
Advanced

Originally Posted by k9turbo
check your rotors. it's not common for them to warp, but it happens and might well cause pulsing/vibration etc.
Ive considered this, but vibration is only at very low speeds and it happens for a couple seconds here and there. If rotors were warped pedal would always vibrate under all braking.
Old 08-06-2020, 10:22 AM
Mike Roblin
Rennlist Member

Received 480 Likes on 300 Posts

Yea but the faster they are rotating the higher the frequency and you might not notice it as much. The lower speed allows for a slower pulsation and potentially it is more noticeable.
Old 08-06-2020, 10:29 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,263 Likes on 1,455 Posts

It’s the rotors. Sometimes a few very hard stops from high speed will lessen the vibration.
Old 08-06-2020, 10:38 AM
Ryan996TT
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mike Roblin
Yea but the faster they are rotating the higher the frequency and you might not notice it as much. The lower speed allows for a slower pulsation and potentially it is more noticeable.
Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
It’s the rotors. Sometimes a few very hard stops from high speed will lessen the vibration.

I'll try a couple hard stops to try and lessen the vibration. That usually shuts my noisy brakes up whenever they get loud.

However, I just can't wrap my head around it being the rotors if it's only happening sometimes for a couple seconds at a time. If it was indeed the rotors, wouldn't it be consistently happening?

I had to leave it at the shop for days just so they could wait for it to happen again....it doesn't happen all the time.
Old 08-06-2020, 10:58 AM
pancing
Drifting

Received 246 Likes on 205 Posts

Is it a judder? Or is your abs engaging? I for one cannot get my abs to activate, my wheels just lock up. What size are your wheels?
Old 08-06-2020, 11:22 AM
Ryan996TT
Advanced

Originally Posted by pancing
Is it a judder? Or is your abs engaging? I for one cannot get my abs to activate, my wheels just lock up. What size are your wheels?
Yes, a shudder would be a better way to describe it. Happens for like 2 seconds. My shop said they think its the ABS engaging, and they checked the brake sensors and said they're both newer.

Wheels are aftermarket 19 inch.
Old 08-06-2020, 11:37 AM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,871 Likes on 2,947 Posts

Originally Posted by k9turbo
This.

And Mike noted that as speed increases, the vibration frequency will change as the rotor is spinning faster, the pulse widths get shorter, so it may not have the same effect on the pedal, but that does not mean it is not warped. Also of note, the larger the rotor is, the more pronounced the vibration (warp) is at low speeds.
Old 08-06-2020, 11:53 AM
Ryan996TT
Advanced

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
This.

And Mike noted that as speed increases, the vibration frequency will change as the rotor is spinning faster, the pulse widths get shorter, so it may not have the same effect on the pedal, but that does not mean it is not warped. Also of note, the larger the rotor is, the more pronounced the vibration (warp) is at low speeds.
Noted. This seems to be consensus and I'll check them out then.
Old 08-06-2020, 11:59 AM
ABORh911
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

I bet the vibration would completely go away at warp speed!

Old 08-06-2020, 12:00 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,871 Likes on 2,947 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan996TT
Noted. This seems to be consensus and I'll check them out then.
If you have access to a good brake guy, or machinist, and enough meat left on the rotors, you should be able to clean that up pretty easily.

Last edited by 2fcknfst; 08-06-2020 at 12:51 PM.
Old 08-06-2020, 12:18 PM
pancing
Drifting

Received 246 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan996TT
Yes, a shudder would be a better way to describe it. Happens for like 2 seconds. My shop said they think its the ABS engaging, and they checked the brake sensors and said they're both newer.

Wheels are aftermarket 19 inch.
If it happens right at the moment before the car stops your abs is engaging. If you have your stock rims available throw those on and see if you can get it to happen. Or you could pull the abs module up front and see if it still happens.

That would rule out warped rotors.

I do hope it is just warped rotors in your case tho anything else would be more expensive than brake job.
Old 08-06-2020, 12:50 PM
Ryan996TT
Advanced

Originally Posted by ABORh911
I bet the vibration would completely go away at warp speed!
:

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
If you access to a good brake guy, or machinist, and enough meat left on the rotors, you should be able to clean that up pretty easily.
Thanks for your (and everyone else's) input!
Old 08-06-2020, 12:58 PM
Ryan996TT
Advanced

Originally Posted by pancing
If it happens right at the moment before the car stops your abs is engaging. If you have your stock rims available throw those on and see if you can get it to happen. Or you could pull the abs module up front and see if it still happens.

That would rule out warped rotors.

I do hope it is just warped rotors in your case tho anything else would be more expensive than brake job.
Lol @ your sad face for Polk County haha I'm in Orlando...

Yeahhh I hope I don't have to end up spending a lot on this one... my shop seems to think that it def is the ABS engaging...and it does indeed happen prior to stopping at slow speeds. Good info...thank you.

Quick Reply: Brake Pedal Vibration At Low Speed