Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What mods ,if any ,pay back much on resale?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2020, 12:38 PM
johnsjmc
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What mods ,if any ,pay back much on resale?

Long time 911 owner recently purchased a 2003 996 turbo.. one owner,(bank vp) dealer serviced 50k miles. Absolutely stock 6 speed.
I've never been able to resist modifying most of my cars. Which mods if any will pay back the most on eventual resale. I expect a clutch in the future because of miles and will likely use a 764 pressure plate but stay with dual mass ff.. A new clutch is usually a good selling feature, lwfw not so much.I was going to drop the engine and pin the lines while in there.
I am a retired tech so labor isn't the issue.
I'm considering a suspension refresh ,will pss10 coilovers return anything or lower the cars value?
or just try to keep it dead stock?

Last edited by johnsjmc; 10-26-2020 at 01:28 PM.
Old 10-05-2020, 12:47 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Congrats on your purchase. Did you buy this to re-sell it or own it and drive it? If the first, leave it stock. If you actually intend to own and drive it, mod away...
Old 10-05-2020, 01:12 PM
johnsjmc
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought it to own and drive it, but with an eye to eventual resale.I've already changed the motor mounts to 993 rs style. Probably will do 350 mm brake rotors when needed and 764 clutch with pinned lines. All these mods are relatively the same cost as stock replacement .
Old 10-05-2020, 01:27 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,428 Likes on 784 Posts

As I'm sure you are aware, mods rarely increase the value of a car. However, there are a handful of mods to these cars that are usually considered desirable and may make the car more attractive to a decently large segment of buyers.

- Suspension
- Exhaust
- Tune

Like anything else, the appeal of these mods are subjective (maybe the suspension is too low for some people, the exhaust is too loud, etc.).

The best "mod" for resale (and driving enjoyment as an owner) on these cars is timely and well documented maintenance.
The following 3 users liked this post by Capt. Obvious:
kamlung (10-05-2020), lflouie (10-13-2020), Rambler_13 (10-14-2020)
Old 10-05-2020, 01:27 PM
nbressette
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

The answer is, any mod that can be easily taken off and sold separately so that the vehicle is returned to stock prior to sale. This is why I'm adamant about keeping all my old parts, even my old bend rods and sleeves.

The only exception would probably be welded coolant lines though I'm not sure that would be considered a mod.

Some of the best bargains out there are the 1000 hp + modified monsters that the seller can't be bothered to return to stock prior to sale. Those can be had at or near to the market value of a stock example. For example, look at 32krazy's car and what he sold that for when he cashed out. Someone got a steal on that imo.
Old 10-05-2020, 02:54 PM
Bernard IV
Three Wheelin'

Received 358 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by nbressette
The answer is, any mod that can be easily taken off and sold separately so that the vehicle is returned to stock prior to sale. This is why I'm adamant about keeping all my old parts, even my old bend rods and sleeves.

The only exception would probably be welded coolant lines though I'm not sure that would be considered a mod.

Some of the best bargains out there are the 1000 hp + modified monsters that the seller can't be bothered to return to stock prior to sale. Those can be had at or near to the market value of a stock example. For example, look at 32krazy's car and what he sold that for when he cashed out. Someone got a steal on that imo.
Just soul crushing when his new engine ate a new 997 intake lifter. He had a lot into it and it just didn't work out.
Old 10-05-2020, 02:59 PM
r6vr6
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by nbressette

Agree. In my experience in selling 2 modded cars no one is really willing to pay for mods or if they are you could sell most for more by parting out. I priced the cars as is and put subtractive line items for mods that were easy enough and valuable enough to make removing worthwhile. Am I going to remove the $200 Short shifter that takes 4 hours and countless busted knuckles and cursed German engineers to get out of there...no. Am I going to give away a set of $2000 wheels that the guy doesn't want to pay for and take me 30min to change...yes.
The following users liked this post:
Capt. Obvious (10-05-2020)
Old 10-05-2020, 03:02 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,727 Likes on 1,465 Posts

I think of a few different categories of our 996 Turbos....

Stock and unsorted: These bring the most "ROI" and are often the least fun to drive.... Services might be current, but most services never really address things like minor boost leaks, worn suspension, poor alignment, all the little parts that wear out on time regardless of mileage, etc. Most buyers, especially first time turbo owners or buyers at online auctions, really can't tell the difference between a stock sorted and stock unsorted car...

Stock, fully sorted, (potentially collector quality): Same as above, but gone over with a fine-tooth comb and brought back to as the factory intended. More fun to drive than an unsorted car, but nowhere near their full potential as a drivers car. Big bucks to the right buyer if low miles, paint and bodywork perfect, perhaps a rare option or two.

Lightly modded with correct, modern mods, fully sorted: Fully sorted with all the minor stuff, suspension refresh or upgrade, exhaust, modern tune, perhaps a clutch or clutch hydraulics upgrade, perhaps GT2 tire/wheel/alignment specs, perhaps a 350mm brake upgrade, etc. These are an absolute BLAST to drive and will give you supercar level performance at a modest price. If all the upgrades are the correct ones, done by a reputable shop or inspected, you can get a fair bit of the upgrade cost back on resale, but don't expect anywhere near 1:1 return on upgrades. The market for these cars is really owners who have had one before and know exactly what upgrades are good and which ones are worthless or worse...

Old or unknown mods, not sorted: Being able to tell the difference between one of these and the category above is kind of critical, and why many buyers just avoid buying modified cars... Get out your checkbook.

Highly modified: It's great that you can build a 800-1,000HP 996 Turbo to slay the 1/4 mile and/or build a track monster that will outlap a modern cup car, but do it because you absolutely love having something like that and don't expect to recoup a fraction of your investment.... That said, it still will likely be far less loss than the depreciation on a new 992 Turbo!

If it isn't obvious, my favorite is the lightly modded, fully sorted variety. Car was stock when I bought it, and I planned on keeping it more-or-less that way, but that didn't last... I've kept all the stock parts, but realistically it is NEVER going back to stock. Too much work to make the car far less enjoyable, even if it would return a few more dollars if I ever sold it.

Mods include:
GT2-spec wheels and tires sizes, near GT2-spec alignment
Bilstein B8 / H&R Sport spring suspension
350mm rotor conversion
RS brake spoilers, pad upgrade
Fully sorted boost plumbing, 710N diverters, GT2RS intercoolers, Cobb tune
Titanium catless X-pipe exhaust
Short shift console
GT2 clutch upgrade
GT2 clutch slave conversion

I also have a 991.1 Turbo S... The above 996 Turbo is easily as much fun to drive, almost as quick, and always puts a smile on my face. (but the 991 TTS does as well!)

Last edited by pfbz; 10-05-2020 at 03:12 PM.
Rambler_13 (10-14-2020)
Old 10-05-2020, 03:15 PM
Evolution
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 50 Posts

Keywords that are value-add:
  • Ohlins
  • Europipe
  • Euro buckets
  • UMW tune, turbos
  • GT2 twists
  • OEM GT2 front/rear
Old 10-05-2020, 05:21 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

My advice? You need to decide on what your personal target is for the car in terms of performance and looks and not worry about any return on investment if you modify the car to attain that target.

The following 4 users liked this post by Dock:
ChemMan (10-06-2020), I am the Walrus (10-14-2020), kamlung (10-06-2020), Rambler_13 (10-14-2020)
Old 10-05-2020, 06:04 PM
k9turbo
Three Wheelin'

Received 258 Likes on 210 Posts

mods are subjective in terms of desirability. stock cars are not, and appeal to a much wider base.

their perceived "added value" has to be considered relative to how many like ( or do not ) what was "done".

if the car is to be a "driver"? mod it to your taste. if the car is to be a diminishing ROI? leave it stock.

modded 996 turbos are infinitely more "fun" than stock cars.
Old 10-05-2020, 06:16 PM
Mezger Man
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

On low mileage cars the more they are kept stock the better. Cars that have miles on them I would say to mod away, as long as it is done right.

Last edited by Mezger Man; 10-05-2020 at 06:18 PM.
rael (10-09-2020)
Old 10-05-2020, 06:30 PM
theprf
Drifting

Received 1,641 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Originally Posted by Mezger Man
On low mileage cars the more they are kept stock the better. Cars that have miles on them I would say to mod away, as long as it is done right.
This is why I have two 996TT's.
I am the Walrus (10-14-2020)
Old 10-05-2020, 06:58 PM
Mezger Man
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

I understand both points of view. My car has 19k miles so I'm not doing any performance mods . I did Erams and PPF, plus some custom ghost flags and Porsche Crests. I also powder coated the rims gloss black with a red stripe around the rim. Nothing that a picky buyer couldn't put back to stock. If i hit 30k miles in the future then all hell will break loose.
RennKit-Dave (10-05-2020)
Old 10-05-2020, 08:03 PM
Third-Reef
Three Wheelin'

Received 160 Likes on 114 Posts

When i purchased my 02 with 40K, no records and signs of having been tracked, I valued the Brembo GT 6 pot BBK with 2 piece rotors all round as an actual $ enhancement. I put 50% of the cost of the kit in my spread sheet as increased value. The Kline exhaust was a bonus at the time, i have now switched back to stock for a more pleasant long haul commute and to not get black flagged at Laguna Seca.

Quick Reply: What mods ,if any ,pay back much on resale?