Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Safety problem with Ohlins R&T on 996 turbos

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2021, 01:43 AM
Kirill_c
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Anyone interested in selling their set? Looking for low mileage units with the upgraded shocks and tophats as part of the recall.
Old 04-01-2021, 06:07 PM
laalves
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

So, it seems that the poor cousins in Europe are finally getting our recall kits, HOWEVER, here's a few photos of what I received, low grade refurbished units with dented threads, shoddily opened and welded. I am not happy. I paid for brand new units, installed them, will have to remove them and now I get this refurbished "stuff" to replace them with. Am waiting their comments with interest.

Old 04-02-2021, 12:44 PM
krs1skier
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

I just got mine back from having the new parts installed with the elephant racing camber plates. The ride is nice, did not get any noises from the camber plates. My mechanic did say "they don't have any room to go much lower".
Old 04-02-2021, 02:06 PM
997Troy
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by krs1skier
I just got mine back from having the new parts installed with the elephant racing camber plates. The ride is nice, did not get any noises from the camber plates. My mechanic did say "they don't have any room to go much lower".
Same problem over here! Also did anyone receive their refund yet? I've emailed and called twice with no response...
Old 04-02-2021, 05:48 PM
01Turbo
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sent mine back a while ago and still waiting on the check.
Old 04-07-2021, 01:57 AM
MontereyC4S
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MontereyC4S
The standard installation leaves 3mm between the lock ring that controls ride height at the hub and the lock ring below the spring. Elephant mounts are about 5mm thicker than stamped steel OE mounts. I now have the lock rings touching each other on one side, and about 2mm apart on the other side. Ride height is about 3mm higher than before. I'm fine with it.

Anyone want to buy my OE mounts that have 400 miles on them?
UPDATE:
- Great news: Ohlins covered the full cost of my front strut replacement. Huzzah! My cost was well above the standard $490 standard recall reimbursement...because I live in California where everything costs more...but primarily because I receive identical Elephant top mounts that were labelled with LEFT and RIGHT stickers. My mechanic had to put the struts back together with the old mounts just to get the car off his rack, while it took 2 days for the correct mounts to arrive direct from Elephant.

- Great news: Brian Folwer at Ohlins was great to work with.

- Good news: Also great is Chuck Fowler, owner at Elephant Racing. I live in Monterey and my employer is in the Santa Clara area, so I stopped in to see Chuck and explain what happened. They didn't know exactly what was happening at Ohlins with the recall but they were happy to fill a massive order for shock mounts. They screwed up a few mounts in terms of labelling but otherwise make great stuff. Chuck took 30 minutes out of his day to show me around, especially their cool hybrid upgrade for 911s

- Good news: Mike Erickson at Erickson Automotive and 4x4 in Sand City, CA knows his way around suspension. He's best known for lifted trucks and low-riders, but he's done plenty of Porsches and BMWs. (His dad is a long-time Porsche mechanic) Without a snafu on top shock mounts, he could swap front struts in about 3 hours.

- Bad news: My car is still a bit to high for my preference, but then again it was probably too low for any speed bumps anyway.

Thanks to their great support, I just put a fresh Ohlins sticker on my car.
Old 04-07-2021, 04:52 AM
997Troy
Instructor

UPDATE:
- Great news: Ohlins covered the full cost of my front strut replacement. Huzzah! My cost was well above the standard $490 standard recall reimbursement...
How long did the whole process take? Ive been waiting over a month to receive any reimbursement and haven't heard from Brian after multiple phone calls and about 3 emails. How do you suggest reaching out to him? Is there anyone else we can talk to?
Old 04-07-2021, 10:04 AM
s65e90
Drifting

Received 748 Likes on 521 Posts

UPDATE:
- Great news: Ohlins covered the full cost of my front strut replacement. Huzzah! My cost was well above the standard $490 standard recall reimbursement...because I live in California where everything costs more...but primarily because I receive identical Elephant top mounts that were labelled with LEFT and RIGHT stickers. My mechanic had to put the struts back together with the old mounts just to get the car off his rack, while it took 2 days for the correct mounts to arrive direct from Elephant.

- Great news: Brian Folwer at Ohlins was great to work with.

- Good news: Also great is Chuck Fowler, owner at Elephant Racing. I live in Monterey and my employer is in the Santa Clara area, so I stopped in to see Chuck and explain what happened. They didn't know exactly what was happening at Ohlins with the recall but they were happy to fill a massive order for shock mounts. They screwed up a few mounts in terms of labelling but otherwise make great stuff. Chuck took 30 minutes out of his day to show me around, especially their cool hybrid upgrade for 911s

- Good news: Mike Erickson at Erickson Automotive and 4x4 in Sand City, CA knows his way around suspension. He's best known for lifted trucks and low-riders, but he's done plenty of Porsches and BMWs. (His dad is a long-time Porsche mechanic) Without a snafu on top shock mounts, he could swap front struts in about 3 hours.

- Bad news: My car is still a bit to high for my preference, but then again it was probably too low for any speed bumps anyway.

Thanks to their great support, I just put a fresh Ohlins sticker on my car.

The change in height is due to the added stack height of the Elephant Racing plates. Sucks, but is what it is.
Old 04-10-2021, 02:10 AM
MontereyC4S
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 997Troy
How long did the whole process take? Ive been waiting over a month to receive any reimbursement and haven't heard from Brian after multiple phone calls and about 3 emails. How do you suggest reaching out to him? Is there anyone else we can talk to?
It took 3-4 weeks because he needed to get approval for the reimbursement over the standard $490. It took a few emails to chase this down. My guess is that they are overwhelmed by the volume.
Old 04-27-2021, 09:47 PM
turbolent
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Has anyone been able to order a new kit yet? Seems like they’re still on back order. I wonder if they’ll include ER mounts when the kits become available again... (assuming no design change)
Old 05-08-2021, 09:13 PM
Cerebrous
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone have an extra set?
I'm looking for a set, if you have please DM me

Thanks - Paul
Old 05-19-2021, 11:22 PM
TheESJ
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 997Troy
I'm in a similar situation right now. Let me know if you happen to get ahold of him or have a new contact.
Old 05-20-2021, 01:48 AM
997Troy
Instructor

Originally Posted by TheESJ
I'm in a similar situation right now. Let me know if you happen to get ahold of him or have a new contact.
I eventually got Mine but it wasn't easy. Just keep emailing or gets friend to email for you.
Old 08-20-2021, 02:32 AM
951_RS
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by turbolent
Has anyone been able to order a new kit yet? Seems like they’re still on back order. I wonder if they’ll include ER mounts when the kits become available again... (assuming no design change)
Still showing unavailable from what I've seen.
Old 08-23-2021, 03:33 PM
c210rg
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Went to the Ohlins website, right now they don't even have a listing for the 996 turbo or C4S. I went with PSS10's

Quick Reply: Safety problem with Ohlins R&T on 996 turbos