The following users liked this post:
turbolent (04-19-2021)
Old 04-19-2021, 10:26 PM
turbolent
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ogr8frogy
Nice example you bought.
Only thing I will give you a warning about is the colored crest on your wheels, I had two of mine lose the crest on the road and one fell off in the driveway.
The glue dries out. Just keep an eye on them.
Are there any preventative measures I can implement?
Old 04-20-2021, 02:12 AM
afrancke
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Three options, which can be used in combination or individually:
  • Don't track it using those wheels.
  • Pry them up and glue them back down.
  • Buy spares.
Ogr8frogy (04-20-2021)
Old 04-20-2021, 03:04 AM
k9turbo
Three Wheelin'

Received 258 Likes on 210 Posts

^ agreed. anything involving glue requires spares. unless it's coolant lines.

in which case, the jury is still out - after 174,000 put away wet miles.
Old 04-20-2021, 08:09 AM
s65e90
Drifting

Received 748 Likes on 521 Posts

Originally Posted by kamlung
honestly i think it's either clear coat failure from the sun (arizona car) or your suspicion of a bird bomb. mine is completely smooth and if you rub it, it almost disappears, not sure if the heat from my finger is pushing it back down into the paint and when it dries it lifts? it's kinda hard to describe but not worth respraying the corner to address... and also being a black car, it's just always dirty...

god i need to wash the car, it's filthy from sitting all winter...

Unfortunately, that's the clearcoat failing. I would not polish that, unless careful, as it will just get bigger.
Old 04-20-2021, 04:05 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,727 Likes on 1,465 Posts

Originally Posted by turbolent
Thank you so much to every single member here that chimed in. It’s finally official, the baby is mine!
Congrats! Looks like a nice car... Don't expect it to be perfect, even with a clean PPI. There will be plenty of things that need sorting in the next year or so, just goes with the territory.

Biggest question will be do you keep it stock (best return on value, given the lower mileage, etc) or modify it and make it your own (best return on driving enjoyment, these cars respond wonderfully to a handful of fairly minor mods).

Enjoy whatever path you take!
turbolent (04-26-2021)
Old 04-20-2021, 05:55 PM
Receiver
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Congrats. You’ll love it.
turbolent (04-26-2021)
Old 04-26-2021, 04:15 PM
turbolent
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
Congrats! Looks like a nice car... Don't expect it to be perfect, even with a clean PPI. There will be plenty of things that need sorting in the next year or so, just goes with the territory.

Biggest question will be do you keep it stock (best return on value, given the lower mileage, etc) or modify it and make it your own (best return on driving enjoyment, these cars respond wonderfully to a handful of fairly minor mods).

Enjoy whatever path you take!
I think I am leaning more towards stock to keep value because the car is already quite enjoyable as is... we’ll see what the future holds though. With this in mind, do you think upgrades to minor/trivial things such as turn signals, radio, SSK, using all Porsche parts, would have an adverse effect on value or would it retain?

I also need to refresh the suspension but I’m having a hard time deciding between factory B4 struts (to keep all original) or upgrade to B8+H&R springs or Ohlins coils due to the same concern.
Old 04-26-2021, 11:09 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 463 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by turbolent
I think I am leaning more towards stock to keep value because the car is already quite enjoyable as is... we’ll see what the future holds though. With this in mind, do you think upgrades to minor/trivial things such as turn signals, radio, SSK, using all Porsche parts, would have an adverse effect on value or would it retain?

I also need to refresh the suspension but I’m having a hard time deciding between factory B4 struts (to keep all original) or upgrade to B8+H&R springs or Ohlins coils due to the same concern.
Personally, my 2 cents, I generally dislike big mods on cars, but small things like turn signals and ssk or exhaust I wouldn't mind. In fact on my 996tt I had a 997 ssk installed, even though I'm a bit of a purist. However, radio I'd like it factory , and I'd keep the B4 struts, too.

But ultimately it's your car and your money so I think you should go with what you like and not worry about the next guy.
Old 04-26-2021, 11:27 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,285 Likes on 1,460 Posts

I agree with Rick except on one point.

By far the weakest engineering on these cars is the North American spec suspension, specifically the springs and dampers. The stock system is absolute crap. If I was looking to buy a low mileage collectable 996TT and it had a set of Ohlins R&Ts installed I would consider that a huge plus. They make the car so much more enjoyable to drive and are a bolt on/bolt off mod so easily reversible.
Old 04-26-2021, 11:39 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 767 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
By far the weakest engineering on these cars is the North American spec suspension, specifically the springs and dampers. The stock system is absolute crap. If I was looking to buy a low mileage collectable 996TT and it had a set of Ohlins R&Ts installed I would consider that a huge plus. They make the car so much more enjoyable to drive and are a bolt on/bolt off mod so easily reversible.
+1
Old 04-27-2021, 01:08 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,727 Likes on 1,465 Posts

They make the car so much more enjoyable to drive and are a bolt on/bolt off mod so easily reversible.
Well yeah, but It's kind of a slippery slope. A bit tongue-in-cheek below, certainly it really doesn't 'suck', and 'transformative' might be hyperbolic, but you get the drift....

The stock US suspension kind of sucks and upgrading it can be transformative...
And... the stock exhaust kind of sucks and replacing it can be transformative...
And... the stock alignment kind of sucks and going more aggressive can be transformative...
And... the stock shifter kind of sucks and putting in a SSK can be transformative...
And... the stock boosted clutch slave kind of sucks and converting it can be transformative...
And... the stock radio kind of sucks and upgrading it can be transformative...
And... the stock ECU tune kind of sucks and tuning it can be transformative...
And... (fill in the blank here) and fixing it can be transformative...

Sure, you start out keeping every OE part and telling yourself you can always go back to stock. But at some point you've tweaked so many things, and it is so much better than what it was, you realize it is never going back to 'as delivered from factory'. Hence the decision on wether to make it the best driving experience for you and your desires or a museum piece for a future owner.

Last edited by pfbz; 04-27-2021 at 01:10 AM.
Old 04-27-2021, 11:24 AM
mchrist
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I gotta echo @pfbz above. I drive a 2004 996TT that I picked up last summer. I started with turn signals. Actually replaced a 997 short shifter (which the previous owner swapped out) with the original. Added a PCCM Plus (yuge). Doing the exhaust next (SOUL - catted). Telling myself "That's it", but know deep down that it's most likely "That's it, for now..."
Old 04-27-2021, 02:50 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,285 Likes on 1,460 Posts

Each person's addiction to modding is personal.

I have owned my car for over 12 years and the only mods are clear turn signals, coilovers, adjustable sway bars, tons of sound deadening and a Bluetooth module for the OEM radio. I have E-Rams but those were out of necessity.

EDIT: One mod I forgot, converted OEM wheel to paddle shifters.

Last edited by Carlo_Carrera; 04-27-2021 at 03:36 PM.
Old 04-27-2021, 03:44 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,428 Likes on 784 Posts

And then there are guys like me who mod EVERYTHING they can.
The following 3 users liked this post by Capt. Obvious:
Carlo_Carrera (04-27-2021), pfbz (04-27-2021), turbolent (04-27-2021)

Quick Reply: Low Mileage/Time Capsule 996TT X50