Sponsored by:

Good, Bad, or Ugly??

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2021, 06:45 PM
bamaboy473
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Good, Bad, or Ugly??

I'm a Carrera guy that hasn't ever modded my cars, but this TT is what I'm wanting. The mods are not familiar to me, so would you guys kindly help me out by telling me why they got attached, whether they all seem to go together, and what the trade-offs are as far as street driving manners?

I'd guess that the owner is probably on this forum, so I'd welcome his experiences, too.

Finally, were mods like this done just to grab more power at Road Atlanta, or are there other benefits?

Mods
Engine
EVOMS 1000HP intercoolers
EVOMS Headers
EVOMS Cold air intake
EVOMS air flow meter
EVOMS Fabspeed race exhaust
EVOMS 100 cell cats
EVOMS 9 LB Single mass Flywheel with stage 5 upgraded clutch just done when transmission was replaced
EVOMS tune Solo Motorsports retune
GT2 RWD conversion
Bigger injectors
8k redline (possible GT3 heads)
Modded turbos

Interior
Carbon Fiber stage 2 kit
Silver gauges
Short shift kit
GT3 seats
Scroth Race harnesses
Custom cage with huge strut bar in rear
Alcantara headliner and seats
Alpine CD Player
Checker plate floors
Silver trim package
Techart Pedals

Suspension
Bilstein PSS10 coil overs
19" wheels Pirelli tires

Body
Techart front bumper
Techart side skirts
Techart rear splittlers
Gemballa GT2 carbon fiber trunk
EBC Yellow race pads front and rear
GT3 brake ducts
Race carbon fiber canards
wrapped carbon intake ducts

Just serviced, Transmission just rebuilt, Clutch upgraded, fly wheel reburbished, new intake manifold, master cyl new plugs and coils $13k in reciepts from Ultra Performance in Winder, GA, I have a clear GA title in HAND as shown in the pictures.

Stock #: WP0AB29931S685080
Old 07-12-2021, 08:07 PM
Jferrante
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts

Looks like that car sold on ebay. Various opinions on mods here but I enjoy it, that car looks like it was setup for the track and the mods suggest a good hp bump over stock.
Old 07-12-2021, 10:30 PM
bamaboy473
Racer

OK, so if I find another one with similar mods, I guess tracking isn't good for longevity, but if I drive it 5,000 miles/year, is a post-track car just not worth the risks, no matter the price?
Old 07-13-2021, 02:29 AM
jayzbird
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 174 Posts

*Maybe* the car is well sorted and will be easy to maintain, but not likely. Just curious about the jump from stock Carreras to a ***** out modded turbo? Even a stock or chip tuned TT is still a powerful beast. If you are capable of troubleshooting and doing work yourself, then go for it having done your due diligence. If not, you will likely see the bills run up fast. That it’s spent some time at the track is not necessarily the issue, more so all the parts that have been swapped and all the things that can go wrong in the process, especially on a 20 year old car. One tell on the amount of track time is the color of the brake calipers. Are they nice bright red or a darker brick color?
Old 07-13-2021, 08:02 AM
LordVicious
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Track rats

996 turbos generally come in one of two flavors: immaculately maintained or ratted out track machine. The first time you climb into a roll cage, bang that (2 stage) clutch and smell the burning oil … you’ll know if the latter is for you or not.
Old 07-13-2021, 08:40 AM
bamaboy473
Racer

My skills with a wrench are pretty good, but I'm not inclined to being making work for myself by fixing what somebody else might have done, so stock it will be. Thanks, guys.
Old 07-13-2021, 01:42 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,859 Likes on 2,939 Posts

I would question the 8k redline; John (Powdrhound) has a lot of experience with setting one up and the ECU apparently cannot function past 7500. You may PM him, he is very knowledgeable about extreme setups.
Old 07-13-2021, 07:35 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

So, I bought a modded car back in 2015, but it wasn't nearly as modded as this one. It had a Porsche tequipment roll bar that I removed (just 4 bolts holding it in). It had a harness in addition to the stock seat belts, and I removed the harness. Those were the "track mods" that I didn't want.

It has a GT2 "add-on" wing on the stock moving rams (which I later changed to the Rennkit eRams), and I left that on. 200 CEL cats. Tuned. It is an X50, so already had the GT2 intercoolers. 1 bar wastegates on the turbos. Those items are fine for my use, which is street driving and autocrossing a couple of times per year.

Bottom line, I wouldn't rule out a track modified car, but I also wouldn't buy a heavily-modded track beast if your intent is to drive it like I do. I have no interest in owning a bone-stock, low mileage car either because I like to drive mine. Everything in moderation, as they say.
The following users liked this post:
RennKit-Dave (07-14-2021)
Old 07-14-2021, 01:38 AM
TrillyPop
Pro

Received 142 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by LordVicious
996 turbos generally come in one of two flavors: immaculately maintained or ratted out track machine. The first time you climb into a roll cage, bang that (2 stage) clutch and smell the burning oil … you’ll know if the latter is for you or not.
I don't agree with that. I would say that most of the "ratted out" 996TT are just poorly maintained street cars owned by negligent owners. There are also a lot of poorly modified cars, ones that just aren't set up correctly (I don't like the mod list on the car that you presented), and low mileage garage queen cars that aren't maintained. This is generally true for any marque. I track my car a decent amount but would bet that it's in better condition and has a better maintenance history than most. Obviously it's not cosmetically as nice as a low mileage garage queen, but that's easily fixed by respraying the front bumper and hood. Mechanically though, I would own my car over any 20k mile car on bring a trailer or whatever (my car has 50k miles). These cars like to be driven hard, and as long as the wear items are addressed/replaced, I would not hesitate to purchase one that has been well modified and tracked.
The following 2 users liked this post by TrillyPop:
Brainofjjj (07-22-2021), Carlo_Carrera (07-14-2021)
Old 07-14-2021, 12:47 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,859 Likes on 2,939 Posts

+1

Quick Reply: Good, Bad, or Ugly??