Sponsored by:

996 Tequipment Roll Bar

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2021, 12:58 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 490 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by powdrhound
Bottom line, as you know any bar that attaches with the seatbelt bolts on a vertical plane can not physically provide any type of meaningful rollover protection.
This, right here, has turned me off of *any* of the "roll bars" that are on the market. Out of any of those "roll bars", I like the BBi one the best as it attaches to the rear shock towers (one bit of structure at least) works with the OEM subwoofer (most don't), is modular so install isn't a total PITA, and has a double X design that looks cool. Reality being, it's heavy, expensive and doesn't offer any real safety improvement.

All that being said, if you're not getting any appreciable safety out of it, why not to just get a Brey Krause harness bar? It adds almost no weight, installs in minutes, is easily removed to use the back seat again and is substantially less expensive. Like this one, which I have sitting in my basement. You do have to remove the factory subwoofer, but that pops out fast. Figure installation of the bar is easily under 30 minutes. Then the same to pull it out and reinstall the subwoofer and gain use of the back seat again.

Old 11-25-2021, 01:01 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,876 Likes on 2,951 Posts

That's pretty.
Old 11-25-2021, 01:05 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

It does look nice, eventually I'll install it for track days. Need to buy a harness for it.
Old 11-25-2021, 01:29 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,734 Likes on 1,010 Posts

Originally Posted by docwyte
It does look nice, eventually I'll install it for track days. Need to buy a harness for it.
The Brey Krause harness bar is a nice piece. For those that want the "roll bar look" and functionality of a harness bar with an OEM part, the Teq bar with the cross bar is a very nice piece. If I recall, the stock seats won't go all the way back and the Euro buckets are also impeded from going all the way back. The next step up which I would favor is the OEM Clubsport GT3 bar which bolts to the strut towers and to plates welded in the floor. This will give some measure of increased roll over protection and possibly some added chassis stiffness all in an OEM package that looks the "business". It's a very hard piece to find however and relatively $$. Seat will go all he way back with that one. Heigo in Germany makes this bar now and it’s a direct copy of the original OEM IVM bar. Price is very reasonable. Heigo is a cage maker for Porsche Motorsport. They are legit.

Last edited by powdrhound; 11-25-2021 at 01:39 PM.
Old 11-25-2021, 02:01 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 290 Likes on 198 Posts

Is the Tequipment a true bolt in?
Lots of bars advertise as bolt in, but you have to weld the mounts in to bolt the cage to.
Old 11-25-2021, 02:19 PM
Kurven
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996 Tequipment Rollbar Seat Clearance

Originally Posted by PittsburghGTS
Thinking about finding/buying a Porsche Tequipment stainless roll bar (without the crossbar) for my 02 Turbo. Does anyone have one in their car? Can you move your seat completely back? I am 6' tall and like my seat as far back as it will go. I know there are seat placement/ reclining issues with the crossbar equipped roll bar, but what about the roll bar without the crossbar? Any help is appreciated.
I have the Tequipment Roll bar with the crossbar and the European GT3 seats in my 996 GT3. I am 6' 2" and there is almost 5" between the back of my driver's seat and the crossbar. As a POC driving instructor, one of the most common observations that I made was that the student was too far from the steering wheel. My recommendation and what I do is to put the seat at the location where you can rest your wrists at the top of the steering wheel while your shoulders are still in contact with the seat.

Picture showing space between seat and crossbar.

Good luck!
Old 11-25-2021, 04:07 PM
Immelman
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 911 Rod
Lots of bars advertise as bolt in, but you have to weld the mounts in to bolt the cage to.
It is a true bolt in, no cutting or welding of anything required. Additionally, it is my opinion that this would in fact provide more rollover protection than having nothing at all. However, having a roll bar of any type in a street car is probably more dangerous than having nothing at all. As others have mentioned, the risk on the street is splitting your skull open if it hits the bar in a collision. In a race car you will have a helmet on to reduce that risk. I have mine installed primarily for that racy look and that it provides a small amount of additional chassis rigidity.

Last edited by Immelman; 11-25-2021 at 04:52 PM.
Old 11-25-2021, 07:47 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,734 Likes on 1,010 Posts

The OEM Teq bar bolts to the existing front and rear seat belt bolts. Four 7/16 - 20 bolts, one each corner, that's it. Very easy install:

The OEM Clubsport bar bolts to the rear strut towers via the existing upper mount studs (3 per side) and in the front to the plates in the floor via 3 bolts per side, total of 12 bolts. The ROW GT2/3 cars had the plates there from the factory, for US spec cars they have to be added, either welded or bonded in via automotive structural adhesive. Bonding is better in my opinion as the floor is relatively thin and welding may actually weaken it.

Last edited by powdrhound; 11-25-2021 at 07:55 PM.
Old 11-26-2021, 11:03 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

The OEM clubsport bar is a very nice piece. Too bad the US cars didn't come with that plate stock. Only issue with the clubsport bar is having to drill into the car, all the other "bars" are 100% reversible, don't require you to drill any holes in the car.
Old 11-26-2021, 01:58 PM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

you will have to cut the plastic threshold liner behind the carpet to allow clearence for the front mount. other than that it's just a bolt in..

Quick Reply: 996 Tequipment Roll Bar