Sponsored by:

Nightmare after buying from pcarmarket

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2022, 07:25 PM
LT64
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Nightmare after buying from pcarmarket

I bought a 996tt from this pcarmarket 1 month ago. Upon receiving the car, the car immediately was not mechanically sound. It had 10 year old tires, a severely beat interior, old battery, and a terrible whine from the transmission. I contact the seller about what was wrong with the car, and he claims the transmission noise was apart of the numeric and clutch installed in the car. I had the car inspected mechanically immediately after it arriving and they are quick to make a note about the transmission. Skeptical, I drive the car 500 miles and the clutch pedal drops dead. I take it to a shop and they have the entire clutch hydraulics replaced, despite the seller advertising new clutch hydraulics. 200 miles after, the transmission kills itself doing 15 miles an hour. The whine as it turns out, were wearing bearings within the transmission that ended up tearing apart my entire transmission. While I could've had the transmission dropped earlier had it been disclosed, now I am looking at a $15,000 transmission replacement because the seller told me to disregard the noise as it was "part of the package". Less than 1,000 miles into the car, I am $20,000 into a $60,000 car, one that was supposedly robust and reliable. I am frustrated. What I have is effectively a lemon, something that I wish never entered my life, but now I have spent more money than God trying to fix. I am beyond disgusted in the seller (who stopped talking to me when I asked about the transmission, that proceeded to blow up after) and this website for ignoring me and selling supposedly a working car. I have had a number of Porsche's in my life and nothing has ever come close to this in the lifetime of ownership, but this disaster has all occurred in the timespan of three weeks. I have experience with other auction websites who would've handled a situation such as this. The previous owner was clearly aware of the issue and passed his problem on to me. I would never recommend buying a car from them as they do not do the proper vetting other auction websites perform.
The following 3 users liked this post by LT64:
blockhed (07-11-2022), Nzo (07-22-2022), vntperformance (07-12-2022)
Old 07-11-2022, 07:32 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,428 Likes on 784 Posts

I take it this is the car you bought?
https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1296082
Old 07-11-2022, 07:37 PM
LT64
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, don't know why it hasn't been marked as sold. It would've been a good buy had it been cared for. It needs a lot of money to get right
Old 07-11-2022, 07:41 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,428 Likes on 784 Posts

Well, the silver lining is that if you get the transmission rebuilt/replaced you should have a pretty well sorted car with a lot of valuable upgrades done to it.

I must say I've definitely heard enough horror stories about buying from auction sites that I'd be very hesitant to do it myself again. I bought a car off eBay about 15 years ago and the car was definitely not as advertised when it arrived.
The following users liked this post:
LT64 (07-11-2022)
Old 07-11-2022, 08:17 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,285 Likes on 1,460 Posts

Yellow is currently the most highly prized color on a 996TT. In time the value may equal what you put into it.
Freddie Two Bs (07-12-2022)
Old 07-11-2022, 08:38 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,878 Likes on 2,953 Posts

Sorry to hear about that, PCA should step up and intervene.

But as Carlo noted, you have the hottest color out there at the moment.
Old 07-11-2022, 08:46 PM
racer959
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 156 Posts

I'm not trying to add salt to your wounds but you should of had it checked out before you purchased it. I don't trust anyone. At least when you fix it you know what you have.
The following 3 users liked this post by racer959:
kamlung (07-12-2022), user 8298308 (07-17-2022), vntperformance (07-12-2022)
Old 07-11-2022, 09:32 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 584 Likes on 370 Posts

Always do a PPI unless you are getting a steal and large repairs are priced into the purchase price. Even if the seller is honest they may not know all the problems a car has. I never understood paying a premium at auction. I will pay a premium for a car that I have had inspected and I have seen and experienced first hand. If you buy without an inspection there really is not much recourse, caveat emptor.
kamlung (07-12-2022)
Old 07-11-2022, 09:39 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 584 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
Sorry to hear about that, PCA should step up and intervene.

But as Carlo noted, you have the hottest color out there at the moment.
PCAR, not PCA. I have occasionally seen BaT refund the buyers premium when a buyer complains immediately after the car arrives and it has obviously been misrepresented but after a month or more I think they are all going to say you are out of luck. Twenty-year-old cars sold at auction do not come with a warranty.
Old 07-11-2022, 09:43 PM
r6vr6
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 56 Posts

One of my mottos is that if you have a Dyno guy and not an attorney your living life right. Having said that, If you truly feel you were taken I would contact the seller and see if 2 men can work something agreeable out. I think a genuine person would at least listen to some rational conversation. If you can't work something out among men, and If you have documentation that could prove the seller was not 100% truthful it might be time to contact an attorney since the $$$ will not be trivial. Each person is different but if I though someone knowingly sold me a grenade with a big hidden cost it would be hard for me to not show up on their door step or it at least have it burn my soul for a long time. I bought my car because it was close enough to see in person, drive home, and I had a good feeling about the PO ( who I keep in contact with years later). I would never buy a used car without driving it. Too much risk even with guarantees and 100% money back promises etc. I hope you can get something worked out fair for both parties.
Old 07-11-2022, 09:43 PM
17ram2500
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 111 Posts

I feel your pain... I did a similar thing with BAT. Paid $60k. Decent car, but far from perfect. However, I chose to not do a PPI, and I wired the money.

Caveat emptor. New clutch, rebuilt trans, and a host of other things repaired and replaced, and I'm going to have a very nice 996TT. I don't intend on getting rid of it; and honestly it probably would have needed the majority of it at some point. So.... Pay the piper, get over it, let it put a smile on your face... and count your blessings.

Just saying. Onus is on you for not verifying what you purchased was as represented with a qualified mechanic. It sucks, but it's true. Time to just be honest that you're mad at yourself than the seller. If you'e owned many Porsches, you know the drill. *flame suit being put on*
Old 07-11-2022, 10:02 PM
Scrh1
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 93 Posts

I’m sorry to hear about your experience with the seller and the vehicle. On the upside, you know every inch of this car and any potential issues are addressed up front this way. I’m sure this is not how you intended to enjoy the car, however with this new life you provide it, you will enjoy many many years of smiles driving it daily. Looking forward to some posts about you enjoying the boost and ear to ear smile it induces
Old 07-11-2022, 11:17 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 572 Likes on 437 Posts

Just think if you bought a car with an overall value that is going down.

Any high mileage 996tt 6-spd is very likely going to need a transmission rebuild. With a low mileage one, it's still a decent possibility. I'm not sure why more people don't realize this is inevitable; maybe the supposed Mezger engine reliability gets lumped in with the transmission as well. And unfortunately these cars are old, often with lots of owners, who beat these torque monsters up.

Like others have said: fix it up, enjoy it, and one day you'll look back and realize you will probably be able sell it for more than you bought and fixed it for; or at least be close!
Old 07-11-2022, 11:27 PM
blockhed
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 103 Posts

The seller is on here why not discuss.
The following 2 users liked this post by blockhed:
s65e90 (07-12-2022), sub-zero (07-25-2022)
Old 07-12-2022, 12:38 AM
nick49
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Always get a PPI unless you like rolling the dice. I'm a vehicle tech and I believe letting an expert do a thorough inspection and a test drive. I paid for 5 or 6 before buying my TT. All I found had issues that were not disclosed by the sellers except the one I purchased. It had a CPO checklist by a P dealer used for a PPI inspection. It's still near perfect in every way, going on 12 years after I purchased it. I ended up with as perfect a car as could have been purchased and at a very fair price.

Quick Reply: Nightmare after buying from pcarmarket