Sponsored by:

Random XR1000 BS Info Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2024, 02:21 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 490 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by G8rJimbo
From some other posts I've exchanged with Doc, he does things the way he does because he likes simple and he likes OEM, which is fine. I have friends that do the same. Atleast he acknowledges that there's nothing wrong with what we're doing, he just doesn't seek the end goal of speed like we do.

Chris, I have a K16 Hybrid setup and am only getting around 520whp judging by my Draggy numbers. The stuff you are pushing to get that 560 number is more than I want on my street car, plus, E85 is not available in my area So....24's or Xona's will be in my future, ROFL. Neat to see you doing all of that, but I think the intake stuff was probably more of a waste.

What's your reasoning for saying you wouldn't do the filter on turbo setup? I know a popular tuner/vendor swears by them.
The speed would be nice, it's more that the car is more capable than I am. I know it'll go significantly faster lap times the way its currently setup than I can make it go. So what's the point of spending more money? It's already almost too powerful for city streets, so I can't use more power there either...
Old 03-29-2024, 02:31 PM
G8rJimbo
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by docwyte
The speed would be nice, it's more that the car is more capable than I am. I know it'll go significantly faster lap times the way its currently setup than I can make it go. So what's the point of spending more money? It's already almost too powerful for city streets, so I can't use more power there either...
You know your limitations and that's good. I know I can pull much faster lap times with a more efficient and stronger car. As for the street, I do a lot of driving in Mexico, I'll leave it at that. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but for those that know, well, they know.
Old 03-29-2024, 02:59 PM
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

Received 165 Likes on 119 Posts

From some other posts I've exchanged with Doc, he does things the way he does because he likes simple and he likes OEM, which is fine. I have friends that do the same. Atleast he acknowledges that there's nothing wrong with what we're doing, he just doesn't seek the end goal of speed like we do.

Chris, I have a K16 Hybrid setup and am only getting around 520whp judging by my Draggy numbers. The stuff you are pushing to get that 560 number is more than I want on my street car, plus, E85 is not available in my area So....24's or Xona's will be in my future, ROFL. Neat to see you doing all of that, but I think the intake stuff was probably more of a waste.

What's your reasoning for saying you wouldn't do the filter on turbo setup? I know a popular tuner/vendor swears by them.
Yep nothing wrong with it at all, I was just pointing out that dont have to go to the lengths some of us have to run these turbo setups. I don't think I'll ever comprehensively build another car like this after this one so I get it

I do agree that the intake stuff was probably not worth it. A tuner back in the day on 6speed said the 997TT manifold setup would be worth 25-30 hp over stock 996TT manifolds and it was cheap to get a used set so I figured give it a shot and swapped it out when I had the engine out doing clutch and coolant lines. I ran it with all the stock 997 plenum, TB, Y-pipe with 997.2 ICs, and do88 inlets with the 997TT airbox at first then got a deal on the 997.1 big pack kit from the guys at do88 so changed it all out. My car didn't really make much more power than the average K16 setup until the variocam and the E85. I think the best was like a 7.3 60-130 on Cobb on pump gas. Recently, someone flow benched the 996 vs 997 manifolds and the cfm peaks are basically the same, but the 997TT has better cyl to cyl balance. So best case scenario, 2 cyls got maybe 10 cfm more flow? Not going to make any appreciable difference. I don't run it anymore.

Re: filters on turbos- Yeah, I was doing that based on recommendations of a tuner too. I got caught out in the rain on a short low speed drive on the way to take car to do a post trackday inspection/maintenance and I dumped a good amount of water out of the lower IC pipes on each side when I removed them. There was quite a bit of noticeable brake dust floating in the water in the IC pipes so I reached out to K&N with some concerns and was told the filters aren't recommended for that environment. Brake dust particles start at 10 micron and get smaller from there and can be fine enough to get by the filter media particularly when mounted that close to the brakes and getting hit with everything. 99% effective, but when they're exposed to that many fine particles at that close of range... On top of that I was already unhappy with the setup because I noticed a massive IAT increase on track compared to the stock airbox setup- no IAT difference on street or short pulls, but on track it was just eating up hot air from between the cylinder head and the brakes. IMO it works for a drag car or something, but street driver is taking some risk and no way for a car that sees track time.
The following users liked this post:
G8rJimbo (03-29-2024)
Old 03-29-2024, 03:07 PM
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

So turbos, water lines, bigger fuel injectors and a tune? That's a nice intermediate step and I'm sure a much better platform.

I had two impediments to modding, I need to stay smog compliant and have the possibility of flashing the stock tune back and have the car run reasonably well enough to pass.

For me, that meant sticking with stock fuel injectors, which meant anything large than a k24 didn't make sense. When I found a pair of k24 turbos for a reasonable cost, that sealed the deal for me.

I also didn't want to immediately have to upgrade the clutch. For me that's a slippery slope since my car hasn't had the coolant lines addressed yet. So engine out, coolant lines, all the plastic/rubber bits, clutch and flywheel etc. Way more money, in other words.

I don't really have expectations of my clutch lasting forever with my current setup, but it held up last last surprisingly well, with no slipping. So who knows?
I totally get your path and there are times where I have wished I stayed that less extreme route if I am being completely honest with myself and everyone else I much rather spend time driving than building.

Water lines come with the kit and installing them "as provided" you don't have to do any welding, it's literally a bolt on kit. So yeah, turbos, injectors, clutch and tune and away you go.

Emissions compliance throws another wrench into things for sure for places that check if it has been reflashed. You'd probably pass a tailpipe test with cats and big injectors but not the plug in ones.
G8rJimbo (03-29-2024)
Old 03-29-2024, 03:28 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,878 Likes on 2,953 Posts

I'm not determined at all. There are multiple pathways and people can choose what they want to do and how they want to spend their money.

My takeaway from all of the last few pages of posts is that it's a lot of custom work, time and money to get these turbos to work in this fashion.

That makes me happy I (Me, my decision, not for everyone) decided to go with the simple bolt on route.
I have had John's 980s sitting on my bench for a few years now. I have collected all the parts to install them, including a set of 47mm headers, and a modified Kline (90mm v. 75mm) in order to avoid turbo surge.

I am in absolute agreement with you that it's a lot of custom work; reading these pages, and appreciating the effort that goes into doing this properly got me thinking do I really want to do this to a 1 of 7 car in North America? Do I want to take the chances on the rods, knowing full well that, if it can be broke, I am most certainly the guy to break it. And finally, do I really need to get into another (major) engineering project, while I have a number of them I can tinker with already.

If I feel the need to slam out some quick 1/4 miles, the 991 will do this repeatedly, reliably and ridiculously fast at around 10.5 seconds per run - hard to say no to a 10 second stock car, in order for the 996 to do the same, it'll take some serious work with a manual.

The enjoyment of this particular car comes from the feeling it embodies when you drive it, analog, connected, visceral. After Adam did all that work with the production numbers for North America, I would be lying if I said it didn't change the way I look at it, most certainly more special than originally thought. So again, in agreement with you, 600ish HP in a car that brings so much happiness, and is so special in its own right seems more logical to enjoy than to try and make like the 991.

Cheers,
Old 03-29-2024, 03:39 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,428 Likes on 784 Posts

I'll chime in on this since I currently have fender well intakes as well.

Pros:
- About as unrestrictive of an intake as you can get
- Cool air (probably arguable on a hot day when the road is radiating a lot of heat, but still "cool" relatively speaking)
- Sounds awesome

Cons:
- That's where all the dirt is
- Filters get really dirty, really fast
- Most cone type filters (especially K&N) don't actually filter all that great, so higher chance of sucking dust into the engine (I use AFE filters on my car that are intended for dusty environments, with a water sock)
- Much higher chance of sucking water into the car if you live in a rainy place

My filters aren't directly on the turbos, I have them in the fenderwells behind the liners so they are protected a bit, but they still get really dirty really fast. I will eventually move them back to the stock location when I drop the engine and can fab up some intake tubing.

Edit: Looks like Chris and I have the same thoughts on this topic.

Last edited by Capt. Obvious; 03-29-2024 at 03:43 PM.
G8rJimbo (03-29-2024)
Old 03-29-2024, 03:40 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

You know your limitations and that's good. I know I can pull much faster lap times with a more efficient and stronger car. As for the street, I do a lot of driving in Mexico, I'll leave it at that. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but for those that know, well, they know.
I can go faster on the track with more power in a straight line. However with some more work on me as a driver, I can match those times with higher corner speeds and not have to spend more money on the car....
G8rJimbo (03-29-2024)
Old 03-29-2024, 03:43 PM
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
do I really want to do this to a 1 of 7 car in North America?
I never thought to check mine on that list. 1 of 6 by color and transmission. 1 of 1 if you count the carbon options on the interior. Oops.
Old 03-29-2024, 03:45 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,428 Likes on 784 Posts

My car is 1 of 1 if you take into account the exterior color, interior color, and the fact it's owned by me.
vtec_ (03-29-2024)
Old 03-29-2024, 04:01 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Where are you guys looking up this list of options etc to see how many cars were built like that?
Old 03-29-2024, 04:04 PM
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

Where are you guys looking up this list of options etc to see how many cars were built like that?
Its pinned thread up top "north america 996tt production data" and there is a spreadsheet to download and you can filter it from there.
G8rJimbo (04-01-2024)
Old 03-29-2024, 04:05 PM
theprf
Drifting

Received 1,645 Likes on 1,046 Posts

My nice 6TT is 1 of 3 so that one stays stock even the suspension. My less nice 6TT is one of many, nothing special over any other 6TT, has almost 190k miles and a manual gearbox swap so I don't have any issues with modifying it. I am not planning to weld in a roll cage or install a wild body kit as I want it to be usable as my extra car. Some day when I am tired of this I'll get rid of all the parts that make it loud/harsh/uncomfortable and revert it back to daily driver. Probably when I move somewhere with better weather.
Old 03-29-2024, 04:11 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turb...tion-data.html
Old 03-29-2024, 04:12 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by theprf
My nice 6TT is 1 of 3 so that one stays stock even the suspension. My less nice 6TT is one of many, nothing special over any other 6TT, has almost 190k miles and a manual gearbox swap so I don't have any issues with modifying it. I am not planning to weld in a roll cage or install a wild body kit as I want it to be usable as my extra car. Some day when I am tired of this I'll get rid of all the parts that make it loud/harsh/uncomfortable and revert it back to daily driver. Probably when I move somewhere with better weather.
I would absolutely feel the same way.
Old 03-29-2024, 04:17 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by T10Chris
I never thought to check mine on that list. 1 of 6 by color and transmission. 1 of 1 if you count the carbon options on the interior. Oops.
The reason I was impressed by that stat was due to the fact it is essentially an S, before the S came out.

One of seven is way cooler than one of over two hundred.

Quick Reply: Random XR1000 BS Info Thread