Sponsored by:

A dream come true! 03 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2023, 09:18 PM
awdmig
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Gearbox disassembly and new parts

Once the transmission was out, the while it's out took over and I figured I should look it over and overhaul it seeing as how expensive these can get. I was planning to do the wavetrac as I don't like the PSM intrusion and generally being used to mechanical diffs and the additional cost to open up the case wasn't much more.
Here are the:
  • 997.2 GT2RS gear sets 1-2-3.
  • Wavetrac
  • CMS "tensioning plate", billet shift fork 1-2 + 3-4 and shift arrester
  • General disassembly pics of the Gbox

Last edited by awdmig; 04-27-2023 at 09:21 PM.
Old 04-27-2023, 09:57 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,878 Likes on 2,953 Posts

****, you're really handy, I had to pay CMS for that service...

STI good, winter toy for the most part as the turbo is on the road from March until fall.
Old 04-27-2023, 10:12 PM
awdmig
Racer

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
****, y're really handy, I had to pay CMS for that service...

STI good, winter toy for the most part as the turbo is on the road from March until fall.
@2fcknfst I love your subie, so unique. If I'm ever in your neck of the woods I'm going to need a ride to reminisce. I had an 05

I can be handy and capable of doing this myself but I couldn't risk the diff setup and I really had no means to setup the diff. Also if the diff isn't setup the transmission can tear itself apart and at the very least bye-bye all bearings. Maybe 20+ bearings from $100-$1000 each.

I was gonna organize the assembly pics and give a shout out but I can't take credit here. I enlisted John @ Trust Transmission in Kitchener, ON to do this for me.

John is a hidden Canadian gem, he can build old cast iron Gbox for exotic P, F and L cars and modern DCT/PDK in ANYTHING.
John is a very cool guy, once we got talking we looked into Ferrari, AMG GT, Porsche PDK issues, he valued my input seriously and followed up on many technical discussions we had.

I'm really fortunate to have met him and learnt so much from him, I really appreciate him allowing me to get involved with my transmission so much.

John is extremely passionate about cars and transmission specifically. He won't work on anything that's a rush or not special.

If you are in Canada there is absolutely no need to send any transmission anywhere outside the country.

Couple of California transmission he was working on.

Last edited by awdmig; 04-27-2023 at 10:23 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Scrh1 (05-05-2023)
Old 04-27-2023, 10:32 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,878 Likes on 2,953 Posts

Apologies, I thought that was you pulling it apart... Probably less like you, I'd wreck it getting it out of the car ...

You know, they say west is best for a reason (other than ryhming)...

Anytime.
Old 05-01-2023, 11:17 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 366 Posts

wow. did it all go back together already? did you keep the factory slave cylinder?
Old 05-02-2023, 12:49 AM
awdmig
Racer

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
Apologies, I thought that was you pulling it apart... Probably less like you, I'd wreck it getting it out of the car ...

You know, they say west is best for a reason (other than ryhming)...

Anytime.
I'll hold you to it and no apologies needed, I should have clarified.
I've made plenty of mistakes. Just gotta learn from them, I know what I can pull off, even if I could there is a risk factor and sometimes it's best to pay a professional plus there was the baby in the oven, new home, lots of other stuff. I didn't have time for mistakes.

Originally Posted by Turbodan
wow. did it all go back together already? did you keep the factory slave cylinder?
Transmission is back together but the drivetrain is still sitting on the floor. Waiting for shop to ease up with the seasonal change over and stored cars coming out.

I'm going with the BBI slave, they answer the phone and emails promptly. I'm also replacing the master, a bunch of hydraulic hoses, gt spring pack for the clutch pedal, hydraulic reservoir and dot4 cap.
The following users liked this post:
Turbodan (05-02-2023)
Old 05-02-2023, 12:53 AM
awdmig
Racer

Default Transmission reassembled

Reassembled!
I'm really grateful to John @ Trust Transmission to document a lot of this for me so methodically. Just goes to show he's a enthusiast at heart who is happy to share his knowledge

Last edited by awdmig; 05-02-2023 at 12:59 AM.
Old 05-02-2023, 09:26 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 550 Likes on 336 Posts

car looks familiar, previous owner's name was Mark?
John is a great guy! if he suggested the CMS bearing tension plate I'm the reason why lol you'll like the new gearing, and LSD makes the 6TT good
Old 05-02-2023, 11:06 AM
awdmig
Racer

Originally Posted by 993GT
car looks familiar, previous owner's name was Mark?
John is a great guy! if he suggested the CMS bearing tension plate I'm the reason why lol you'll like the new gearing, and LSD makes the 6TT good
Hi Rob
No maybe a different car, none of the previous owners are Mark. Interesting that you know of a silver turbo with the factory painted sport techno.

The tensioning plate and shift forks were on my list for about a year as well as the diff. I was just having a hard time finding someone around here familiar with what I wanted to do until I bumped into John.
Old 05-02-2023, 12:40 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

yup this one had a black or grey "Porsche" door/rocker area decal as well..prettyyy sure it was Technos but it's been a few years since he sold
good call on the tension plate, if you have your old one, check the bore/flange where the bearings ride, in particular the smaller one, also have the billet forks although the factory forged GT2 ones probably would've lasted forever too lol
John is a great guy and takes care of any issues that arise, definitely the guy on our side of the border
Old 05-02-2023, 07:29 PM
Receiver
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Congrats on the buy although you’ve had it a while. Have you had a chance to drive it much given all the stuff you’ve done to it? Mine was my daily driver for the first 10 years. Rain, shine or snow. Didn’t matter. They’re great cars.
Old 05-04-2023, 10:51 PM
17ram2500
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 111 Posts

Sweet. Get it all fixed up and then just enjoy the heck out of it!!
Old 05-04-2023, 11:08 PM
awdmig
Racer

Originally Posted by Receiver
Congrats on the buy although you’ve had it a while. Have you had a chance to drive it much given all the stuff you’ve done to it? Mine was my daily driver for the first 10 years. Rain, shine or snow. Didn’t matter. They’re great cars.
I drove it about 5000km, 3000 mile. Just enough to see if the needle on the left of center works properly while I make notes on things I'd like to address.
Originally Posted by 17ram2500
Sweet. Get it all fixed up and then just enjoy the heck out of it!!
Thanks!
That's the plan. Putting it back together now. Should have some updates early next week.
Originally Posted by 993GT
yup this one had a black or grey "Porsche" door/rocker area decal as well..prettyyy sure it was Technos but it's been a few years since he sold
good call on the tension plate, if you have your old one, check the bore/flange where the bearings ride, in particular the smaller one, also have the billet forks although the factory forged GT2 ones probably would've lasted forever too lol
John is a great guy and takes care of any issues that arise, definitely the guy on our side of the border
I have the old tensioning plate, it along with the infamous 2nd gear were what I looked at first. They look good, 2nd has some minor wear on the edge of the teeth but could still be used to get a daily driver going for the next 100k if not more. 1+3 are perfect. I'll be putting these up for sale.

I'm new to Brant County where abouts would a finicky guy like me go to get an alignment? I'm going to do the suspension after the car is running.
Old 05-04-2023, 11:20 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

shoot me a PM..Shay?
Originally Posted by awdmig
I drove it about 5000km, 3000 mile. Just enough to see if the needle on the left of center works properly while I make notes on things I'd like to address.

Thanks!
That's the plan. Putting it back together now. Should have some updates early next week.

I have the old tensioning plate, it along with the infamous 2nd gear were what I looked at first. They look good, 2nd has some minor wear on the edge of the teeth but could still be used to get a daily driver going for the next 100k if not more. 1+3 are perfect. I'll be putting these up for sale.

I'm new to Brant County where abouts would a finicky guy like me go to get an alignment? I'm going to do the suspension after the car is running.
Old 05-12-2023, 11:24 PM
awdmig
Racer

The car is running fine no leaks or codes while I'm breaking in the clutch, but then this afternoon the alternator died

Quick Reply: A dream come true! 03 turbo