Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smoke on Startup - Solution Found?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2023, 03:06 PM
BAD.TAG
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Smoke on Startup - Solution Found?

Hi All,
I have a theory I want to test out here in hopes it may help a well known issue on the 996TT smokey start ups.

History: My 996TT has 64K on it and every so often it would smoke on start up. Consistently if it was a short run cycle (moving out to wash then put back into garage) but occasionally it was also after an extended drive. Could never pin down a solid reason.
Last oil change was in the fall last year before winter storage. While the oil is draining out I was cleaning out the filter housing and noticed the bypass spring in the center post. It was pretty gummed up with sludge as it was probably the first time this was ever done. Used a toothbrush and some valve cleaner to remove every last bit including the area accessible when compressing the spring. Drove it about 20mi away to put in storage until mid April this year.

As of today and about 1 month of driving, it has only emitted smoke once and that was after 3 or 4 short run cycles. Other than that no random, James Bond worthy smoke screens have occurred.

Theory: The bypass valve gets clogged and gummed up over time and allows for oil to leak by on occasion. Cleaning this allows it to seal properly and prevents this condition from happening.

If anyone out there has a chance to try this next oil change or just wants to check theirs it would be very interesting to know if it has a similar effect. Photo attached for reference

Old 05-25-2023, 03:31 PM
kamlung
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 233 Posts

what color is the smoke? do you idle down the car after a drive?

i've found if i don't let the car idle for a few minutes before shutting the car off, the next time i start it i get smoke.
The following users liked this post:
996TS (05-26-2023)
Old 05-25-2023, 04:32 PM
BAD.TAG
Pro

Typically its a blue-ish white color and smells like oil. I try to make it a point to idle for 10-15secs prior to shut down but that didnt seem to have a direct effect from what I observed
Old 05-25-2023, 04:40 PM
kamlung
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by BAD.TAG
Typically its a blue-ish white color and smells like oil. I try to make it a point to idle for 10-15secs prior to shut down but that didnt seem to have a direct effect from what I observed
you should idle down for 3-5 mins... blue smoke probably means oil is getting past the oil seals in the turbo... this is same for me...

try 3 mins next time...
Old 05-25-2023, 11:12 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,878 Likes on 2,953 Posts

Mine only smokes if I don't let it run for a couple of minutes before shutting down.
The following 2 users liked this post by 2fcknfst:
996TS (05-26-2023), sdematt (05-26-2023)
Old 05-26-2023, 10:58 AM
BAD.TAG
Pro

Originally Posted by kamlung
you should idle down for 3-5 mins... blue smoke probably means oil is getting past the oil seals in the turbo... this is same for me...

try 3 mins next time...
I dont disagree that this could help, but its not always feasible to sit and let it idle for that much time, like say if your just running to a store or an associates house. My observation is that from cleaning out this bypass valve, the instances for my car at least have not re-appeared. Plus from a maintenance stand point, cleaning out sludge build up is always good to do less it dislodge and go somewhere it shouldnt.

Use whatever approach you prefer, I am just stating a hypothesis
Old 05-26-2023, 04:08 PM
Yogibara
Rennlist Member

Received 573 Likes on 245 Posts

My TT doesn't smoke on startup but my built 4.0 Carrera engine does every now and then. All new internals, ported heads. Normal. Doesn't burn oil.
Old 05-26-2023, 05:31 PM
Lazurus
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 61 Posts

If you park the car angled on an incline it will smoke a bit on startup too. Must be a Boxer engine design oddity.
Old 10-05-2023, 09:11 AM
arscottp
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 130 Posts

How is this holding up?
Old 10-05-2023, 09:45 AM
Yogibara
Rennlist Member

Received 573 Likes on 245 Posts

I've discovered that I get ZERO smoke when it's straight piped. No cats. The OEM cats cause smoke on start up.
Old 10-05-2023, 10:23 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,285 Likes on 1,460 Posts

Originally Posted by Yogibara
...The OEM cats cause smoke on start up.
That is difficult to believe because the catalytic converters have zero affect on the oil and oiling system of the car.

Are you doing what Kamlung suggested, letting the car idle for a few seconds before shutting it down? Or were the turbos serviced when the exhaust system was changed? Because that is more most likely the cure.
kamlung (10-05-2023)
Old 10-05-2023, 12:13 PM
QwikKotaTX
Pro

Received 99 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by kamlung

try 3 mins next time...
Is that only necessary if you've been driving spiritedly or always even if driving like a Grandma?
Old 10-05-2023, 12:26 PM
Bernard IV
Three Wheelin'

Received 364 Likes on 255 Posts

Only driving hard. The turbos will cook the oil in them if they are red hot. It won't happen if you've been cruising. The issues here are probably from worn turbo seals or leaky check valve in the turbo oil inlet. I installed some turbos that didn't have the check valve because I didn't know at first and they smoked on startup.
QwikKotaTX (10-05-2023)
Old 10-09-2023, 04:27 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,735 Likes on 1,011 Posts

Leaky turbo seals may be a factor in the occasional smoke at startup but it's not the only thing at play. The reason I say that is the simple fact that my 7.2GT3 Mezger, along with every other N/A Mezger, smokes occasionally on startup and there are no turbos present. The reason you get occasional smoke is the fact that oil sometimes seeps past the piston oil rings and makes it into the combustion chamber thus smoking on start up. Whether one has cats or no cats on the exhaust makes zero difference. The piston oil rings are free to rotate about the piston and when the gaps in all three rings line up at or near the 6 o'clock position, It allows the oils to seep past. All Mezgers do it. Well, I would say almost all. I've never had it happen on my 4.0 race Mezger but that engine uses a different piston design with rings that may not be susceptible to this like the OEM rings. During assembly we rotated the gaps to be 120º apart and the rings apparently do not have the propensity to rotate like the OEM rings. Just my $0.02.

The occasional smoke at startup is nothing you can fully get rid of and is part of the Mezger charm, along with the chain rattle you get after the car sits for a while. Well, there is a fix for that actually which we stumbled across.
The following 4 users liked this post by powdrhound:
996TS (10-09-2023), BengoL (10-31-2023), Bobby Michelson (10-16-2023), vtec_ (10-30-2023)
Old 10-28-2023, 09:44 PM
nick49
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

My '04 with 39K miles will do it occasionally. I doesn't matter if I start it every day, a few times a week, once a week or once every 2 weeks. I've had it smoke two days in a row of the first start of the morning. Then maybe not for 10 or more cold morning first starts. Totally random. As a motor builder of over 50 years and a vehicle tech still working full time, I don't care. If it it did it with increasing regularity and was getting worse, I'd look for a problem. I'm convinced it has to do with being a boxer motor. As I remember I had a BMW motorcycle that would do that too on some start ups, not all.

Quick Reply: Smoke on Startup - Solution Found?