Sponsored by:

Convertible Top won't work

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2023, 08:54 AM
h8calif
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Convertible Top won't work

I have a 2004 996 that the convertible top makes a clicking noise when i press the top down switch the windows come down but top will not, any suggestions ?
Old 07-04-2023, 04:34 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 434 Likes on 290 Posts

The hydraulic cylinders might be ready for a rebuild - mine did the same but I had a puddle of fluid under my car as they leaked out. Had them replaced with rebuilt units - $600 for the parts, $600 for the labor. Maybe yours is something else but thought I would suggest it - maybe fluid is just super low.
The following users liked this post:
h8calif (07-05-2023)
Old 07-04-2023, 08:56 PM
h8calif
Track Day

Thanks for the advice Leftlane, I sort of remember seeing a darker area where the rear wheel well liner meets the undercar panel, however I saw no fluid puddle, maybe it happened somewhere else and all that's visible is the witness marks I see now, I'll have to figure out how to open the top manually to have access under the cowling, and when I do, I'll check the rams as well as the hydraulic fluid reservoir. I have a basic Porsche diagnostic reader, but the reader said it couldn't make contact with the convertible top module. Then I heard that the convertible top does not have communication capabilities so who knows the car is 19 years old.
Old 07-04-2023, 09:07 PM
h8calif
Track Day

Quick question, wouldn't the " Clam Shell" open up even if the fluid is low or gone? Are they electronically or mechanically tied in together?
Old 07-04-2023, 10:52 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 237 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by h8calif
Quick question, wouldn't the " Clam Shell" open up even if the fluid is low or gone? Are they electronically or mechanically tied in together?
I believe the clamshell is mechanically controlled. The side wings have motors in them.
Old 07-05-2023, 09:16 AM
h8calif
Track Day

Thanks for the tip, I know that the Clam Shell has its own motor, I was wondering if my fluid is low or completely gone, or the rams were leaking or inoperative if the shell should still open. I've You Tubed the procedure to open up the shell and then I'll have to manually unlock the top from the front windshield and manually move it so I can uncouple it from the tethers that hold it to the car. Once uncoupled I should have access to the motor and electrical components.
Old 07-13-2023, 05:44 PM
saxonthebeach
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by h8calif
Thanks for the tip, I know that the Clam Shell has its own motor, I was wondering if my fluid is low or completely gone, or the rams were leaking or inoperative if the shell should still open. I've You Tubed the procedure to open up the shell and then I'll have to manually unlock the top from the front windshield and manually move it so I can uncouple it from the tethers that hold it to the car. Once uncoupled I should have access to the motor and electrical components.
If it’s the hydraulics and they’ve leaked enough to be immobile, you will definitely see fluid under your car (the drains are just in front of the rear wheels where the little “mud flaps” are). The fluid is yellow. Also if it’s the hydraulics, the clamshell should still open, and center latch should unlatch as well; these both occur before the hydraulic actuation in the top-down sequence.

My guess is something electronic, likely the front latching mechanism given your description of nothing moving at all other than the windows.

Last edited by saxonthebeach; 07-13-2023 at 05:45 PM.
Old 07-13-2023, 09:12 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Can you actuate the top manually?
Old 07-15-2023, 10:01 PM
h8calif
Track Day

Hello all, my news is getting from bad to worse, took the car to an Indy recommended to me by a friend and he gave me some bad news, he said that the latch is " frozen " to the windshield and will not respond to any manual action to move it, the screws that supposedly unlatch the hook manually, one is frozen and the other just turns and nothing happens. Not quite sure on what to do next, maybe saw off the hook if possible and don't know if it is possible to remove latching motor assembly from the top without damaging the top. If ANYBODY has any information on my circumstance please respond, wishing all a great weekend.
Old 07-16-2023, 11:14 AM
T Kono
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 87 Posts

Maybe have someone apply pressure to the top front bow(compress to windshield frame) while you attempt to release latch electronically?
Purely a guess.
The following users liked this post:
Carlo_Carrera (07-16-2023)
Old 07-16-2023, 07:58 PM
h8calif
Track Day

Thanks, will suggests that Monday to the mechanic. Something tells me I'm in hot water with this top.

Quick Reply: Convertible Top won't work