Sponsored by:

Numeric Cables and excessive gear whine

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2023, 11:19 AM
PrfZundapp
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Numeric Cables and excessive gear whine

I am hoping someone can help me out i recently installed numeric cables and their short shifter. Everything shifts as it should but I am getting a loud gear whine I was prepared for extra noise but this sounds like straight cut gears and goes away in neutral and when i depress the clutch.

I am thinking that I might of over adjusted the connection at the trans lever and it is possibly over throwing/over extended when going into each gear?

Or is this normal and I need to come up with a better mousetrap to minimize the noise. I was expecting some added noise but the cup car noises will be fun only for so long.

Adding video for further context and help or direction pointing would be awesome. Trying to button the car up before sunday for an Oktoberfest porsche event.
Video (3).mov

Last edited by PrfZundapp; 10-27-2023 at 11:22 AM.
Old 10-27-2023, 12:03 PM
Lazurus
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Not to alarm you in any way but I've driven both cars with Numerics installed ( zero add'l noise) as well as a straight cut gear car once, and that was loud for sure but that sound more closely approximates a trans bearing gone really bad. But I suspect you'd have some indications this was occurring before it got that "bad". If possible, I'd immediately replace and go back to the stock cables/shifter and see if that eliminates that whine. As you know, it's usually "what did I do last = what have I done".

Hopefully it is just a misalignment issue, and I'm by no means expert. But never heard that from a cable issue. Just saw your PM replied here. Good Luck with it.
Old 10-27-2023, 12:14 PM
17ram2500
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 111 Posts

Sounds like it only does it on decel, or primarily decel.

If you find out what it is... let me know. I had the trans rebuilt by Roger at CMS (no change), I installed a new (used) front diff from a well known forum member with zero issues before he removed it - no change.

The guibo is fine. All wheel bearings are new, on all 4 corners. The noise has never changed since I bought the car. My buddy has a C4S that makes similarly disturbing noises, and yet both have been very reliable with zero issues. I've checked all the axles, the boots... literally cannot figure out what it is. Mine is similar to yours, but not identical, and only appears on decel. I initially thought it was the bearing in the transaxle as well...

I"ve put 11k miles and 4 track days with zero issues...

Oh... and for the record, this noise occurred before and after numeric cables. The cables and shifter made zero difference. So I don't think it's your cables at all... but exactly *what* is it...well.... I'd love to know...

Last edited by 17ram2500; 10-27-2023 at 12:15 PM.
Old 10-27-2023, 01:00 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 582 Likes on 369 Posts

I have a Numeric shifter and cables in my GT3 and there is definitely a sound that sounds like gear whine and my transmission was rebuilt a few thousand miles ago.
Old 10-27-2023, 03:50 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,728 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Both the OEM Cup cables (NLA) and the Numeric cables are going to be noisy. They are race car parts where noise is not a concern. I run the Cup cables on my race car and have 5 set of brand new ones on the shelf but would never install them in a street car where I just don't see the benefit. I don't quite understand why guys do it. I have OEM street cables and on my 7.2GT3 street car and they're perfect for their intended use. I would not want the Cup stuff on it which simply adds an extra layer of durability generally not needed for a street car application.

Long story short, I'd go back to OEM cables if the noise bothers you. Good luck...

Last edited by powdrhound; 10-27-2023 at 04:30 PM.
Old 10-27-2023, 04:05 PM
LinwoodM
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 129 Posts

Mine do that too. It is just the NVH coming through all the, now metal connections. I pushed in the rubber isolator that goes into the chassis that holds the cables further and tighter around the cables and it helped some.
Old 10-27-2023, 08:08 PM
racer959
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 156 Posts

I have a Numeric Shifter and Cables it is definitely noisy at low speed, but when cruising on the highway I don't hear it.

Last edited by racer959; 10-27-2023 at 08:11 PM.
Old 10-27-2023, 08:09 PM
racer959
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 156 Posts

Delete

Last edited by racer959; 10-27-2023 at 08:10 PM.
Old 10-27-2023, 11:32 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

A feature of the stiff cables. They do offer some insulation to lag the cables with, but it doesn't make a huge difference. Go back to stock cables and keep the shifter if you want the best compromise for a street car.
Old 11-05-2023, 03:54 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,281 Likes on 1,713 Posts

I dont mind my numeric cables in my gt3ish. I have their silicon wrap and i made sure they dont touch any sheet metal. Also used some large zip ties to secure them both together.

Could also be all the other noise from the lwfw and semisolid motor mounts?
Old 11-14-2023, 09:53 AM
s65e90
Drifting

Received 733 Likes on 510 Posts

People upgrade to the better cables cause they're better. The stock ends are known to be a weak point and I've had a cable actuated trans car shred the cables once before too, not fun driving from 2/4 everywhere. They are noisy though, much more than I think people are thinking they will be. I noticed the biggest change in NVH from the cables. Even running the stock insulation, they're just loud. It does kind of sound like a straight cut trans, but def no where near as loud, but noticeable whine and clunking on/off throttle from the gear lash, though I also haven't looked at my guibo in a while. This is also running semi-solid engine/trans mounts, but the cables are what made it loud.
Old 11-14-2023, 10:10 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 490 Likes on 327 Posts

So you cut the insulation off the stock cables and then zip tied it to the Numeric ones?
Old 11-14-2023, 10:19 AM
s65e90
Drifting

Received 733 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by docwyte
So you cut the insulation off the stock cables and then zip tied it to the Numeric ones?
Not sure I remember exactly, but yes, I used the stock rubber sleeve. It was tough getting it all back through the tunnel. The stuff Numeric offers pales in comparison to the OE material.
Old 11-14-2023, 10:41 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 490 Likes on 327 Posts

The sleeves shouldn't get in the way of putting the cables back in. Are you talking about the rubber isolator/grommet? Then you're saying the silicone sleeve that Numeric sells is better than the OE rubber or the other way around?
Old 11-14-2023, 11:13 AM
kamlung
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by s65e90
People upgrade to the better cables cause they're better. The stock ends are known to be a weak point and I've had a cable actuated trans car shred the cables once before too, not fun driving from 2/4 everywhere. They are noisy though, much more than I think people are thinking they will be. I noticed the biggest change in NVH from the cables. Even running the stock insulation, they're just loud. It does kind of sound like a straight cut trans, but def no where near as loud, but noticeable whine and clunking on/off throttle from the gear lash, though I also haven't looked at my guibo in a while. This is also running semi-solid engine/trans mounts, but the cables are what made it loud.
this is 1000% accurate...

after i had the cables installed i thought my trans was going... but everything was shifting fine... i never realized it would transfer that much noise from the gearbox...

Quick Reply: Numeric Cables and excessive gear whine