Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone Have Info on Shipping Car to Europe?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2005, 03:50 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Anyone Have Info on Shipping Car to Europe?

'Was considering shipping my Turbo to Europe later this summer during our vacation there...thought of doing some fun road trips in the coastal Mediterranean.

Does anyone here have knowledge of who, where, when and how much with respect to reliable shipping and insurance of the car? Ideally, our first choice of the shipping destination is Nice, France, but will consider other ports as well. As an aside, did consider renting while over there but the costs are so prohibitive...

Thanks for all inputs...
Old 03-28-2005, 12:59 PM
MacFever
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

I shipped several cars to Antwerp/Belgium from LA
Cost is aprox $800 one way
Insurance is 2% or so
If you want I can give you the name of the shipping company
Old 03-28-2005, 02:23 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MacFever
I shipped several cars to Antwerp/Belgium from LA
Cost is aprox $800 one way
Insurance is 2% or so
If you want I can give you the name of the shipping company
Thanks...that would be helpful
Old 03-28-2005, 02:43 PM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 29 Posts

Bobby,

FWIW

I lived in Switzerland and Belgium for 4 years in early '90s. Be advised that registration and the required road insurance for a car such as a Porsche is VERY, VERY expensive! Also be advised, that high line auto theft in the south of France and the Mediterranean is distinct possibility. At one point, I tried to rent a Mercedes in Luxembourg and the rental agreement specifically stated that I was not insured against theft in the south of France or Italy.

A colleague of mine transferred to our Belgium office and brought with him his 928GT from Chicago. Before he could get the car out of customs, he first had to have insurance and license plates. These items are tied together in many European countries. The first quote he received from Winterthur (a very large Swiss insurance company) was for $1000 per month. After intervention from our company which had huge policies with Winterthur, he was quoted something less.

I don't want to discourage you, I just wanted to give you a "heads-up" as to what to expect. At the end of the day, anything is possible for a price. I just couldn't afford those prices.

Cheers,
Old 03-28-2005, 03:09 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fred R. C4S
Bobby,

FWIW

I lived in Switzerland and Belgium for 4 years in early '90s. Be advised that registration and the required road insurance for a car such as a Porsche is VERY, VERY expensive! Also be advised, that high line auto theft in the south of France and the Mediterranean is distinct possibility. At one point, I tried to rent a Mercedes in Luxembourg and the rental agreement specifically stated that I was not insured against theft in the south of France or Italy.

A colleague of mine transferred to our Belgium office and brought with him his 928GT from Chicago. Before he could get the car out of customs, he first had to have insurance and license plates. These items are tied together in many European countries. The first quote he received from Winterthur (a very large Swiss insurance company) was for $1000 per month. After intervention from our company which had huge policies with Winterthur, he was quoted something less.

I don't want to discourage you, I just wanted to give you a "heads-up" as to what to expect. At the end of the day, anything is possible for a price. I just couldn't afford those prices.

Cheers,
Fred, thanks a ton. That was very useful info. I was looking for about 1 month's stay and full insurance against theft, damage and liability...
Old 03-28-2005, 03:22 PM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bobby,

Perhaps you could PM "Pierre", the Rennlister with over 200,000 kms. He's from Switzerland and may be able to provide you current and helpful information than I.

Cheers,
Old 03-29-2005, 03:38 AM
Pierre
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't get the insurance issue. I guess that Bobby's car has a valid registration and license plate in the US, right? And the car won't be imported, but will just be shipped over here for a limited time (vacation), right? If so, the customs won't ask for anything more, will they?
But if I can be of any help, just let me know! I have some pretty good connections in the insurance business.
Greetings,
--Pierre
Old 03-29-2005, 05:28 AM
03-turbo911
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll hopefully be in the same area Bobby. Would be nice to meet you and see your car.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:05 AM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Pierre,

I seriously doubt that Bobby's US insurance policy will cover him in Europe. With some US insurance companies, coverage for trips to Canada is questionable, and trips to Mexico are definitely not covered. Whether his insurance company can even write insurance for use in Europe is another consideration. As for his existing policy covering him in Europe, or if he can purchase the needed coverage through his current carrier are things he needs to check out. The purpose of my reply was to forewarn Bobby of the high cost of insurance in Europe, and the possibility of theft in the region he plans to visit.

Cheers,
Old 03-29-2005, 11:41 AM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Guys, ideally this is what I'm looking for so if u know of specific insurers and shippers I should contact please let me know.

- Will be in the St Tropez area for month of Aug
- Ship car late July to arrive in Nice beginning Aug
- Based out the St Tropez area, tool around the region with a a few excursions here and there
- End of Aug ship car back to the U.S. from Nice

From what I know I can keep my US lic plates and there is no customs, etc BS required. However, I need full insurance coverage from the time the car is loaded on the boat to Europe. Also need a very reliable shipper (timely delivery and no dents or dings is an ABSOLUTE requirement).

So friends, tell me what and who you know...and how much will this whole adventure cost? thanks
Old 03-30-2005, 09:23 AM
Andreas.
Pro

hello Bobby,
I asked to Wintherthur insurances here in Switzerland, they said that unfortunately they 'll do not do this kind of insurances for only one month. They have insured imported cars but the goal is that the cars and the owner obviously, Will be a resident here. So they car will have to changes the plates and everything, and that's not your case.
what they said is that your insurance in the USA has to have un "extension" (?) insurance, it means that you ca be covered by your own insurances overseas.
He said also that he don't know un insurance here that can cover this kind of case.(maybe in France?).
Also he advice me that the easiest way is just to rent a Porsche around here.
What amaze me the most is that i saw sometimes cars around here with plates from North America.(maybe this cars will stay definately here in Switzerland..).
So there should be a solution..but.
Hope this help..
Old 03-30-2005, 10:28 AM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Andreas, thanks. BTW the rental for a Turbo is ~ 1500-2000 Euros per day + other add on costs...absolutely prohibitive.
Old 03-30-2005, 12:11 PM
Pierre
Addict
Rennlist Member

Same info from my side: the easiest/cheapest way definitely is to get some kind of additional coverage from your current insurance. My insurance guru can't see a better way to do this.
Greetings,
--Pierre
Old 03-30-2005, 12:23 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pierre
Same info from my side: the easiest/cheapest way definitely is to get some kind of additional coverage from your current insurance. My insurance guru can't see a better way to do this.
Greetings,
--Pierre
Thanks Pierre...I'm making inquiries here.
Old 03-30-2005, 12:38 PM
Andreas.
Pro

Eh ciao Pierre!

Yeaph Bobby, your insurance has to do something.. really.
and you re right, rent a porsche is very expensive wherever you are..
good luck.

Quick Reply: Anyone Have Info on Shipping Car to Europe?