Sponsored by:

Can I Only lower the Front?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2005, 12:49 PM
smjjpres
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I Only lower the Front?

New TT owner, and I was wondering if I can only lower the front of the car? It seems like the car sits back a bit.

Is there a simple solution or is a whole new suspension required?

I will post some pics of the car in a few days. Came from a 4s and the difference is night and day.

Thx!

SM
Old 09-23-2005, 01:07 PM
Darkworx
Instructor

I had this problem myself! I got the Bilstien PSS9 full coil-over suspension sets. It's REALLY GOOD! I suggest you pick up one, maybe even look for a new set on Ebay, cuz there is a massive over-stock on these, but they are adjustable 9 positions! Highly recommended!

I know your pain of having the car "squat".
Old 09-23-2005, 01:24 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

I think I would be very concerned about that. The rear has a lot of weight, which will then be relatively higher that any alternative suspension set up. I think all the kits drop the nose about 2.5 times more than the rear, but in every case, the rear is also lowered. Weight is bad, but weight up high is worse. AS
Old 09-23-2005, 03:03 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I think some of that is normal for a TT/C4S.
Old 09-23-2005, 03:35 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by smjjpres
New TT owner, and I was wondering if I can only lower the front of the car?
SM
You can do anything you want.......but maybe also keep in mind, there are 20 suspension variables if there is one.......each has 'some' affect on something else. Even the OE offroad agrarian height suspension of the Turbo has alot going for it.....but looks funny.

Front to rear relative ride height (rake) does have some affect on handling characteristics. Porsche publishes numbers for front height range and rear height range for ea of the cars (US Turbo, ROW, X73, GT3, GT2).
So..........when someone says they're lowering to X73 ride height, presumably they are using both numbers.

Having said all of that.........the US Turbo is the only of those five that has the same number range for both the front and the rear.......all others have 5-15mm differential (front being a lower number range than back).
Old 09-23-2005, 05:32 PM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A simple H&R front & rear lowering spring kit works well and is only about $500.

I put that on my TT when it was new back in 2001.

Norm
Old 09-23-2005, 11:04 PM
ar38070
Advanced

If you only change one end you will change the weight balance of the car. If you lower only the front you shift more weight to the rear. If you do not track your car it is not much of an issue, if you do then it becomes more important.
Old 09-24-2005, 12:22 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

ar,
Sure about that? I'm not an engineer, but it sure seems to me that if you lower the front, you shift weight to the front (Imagine lowering the front progressively, til the car is vertical on the nose-then all the weight is on the front). You may be confusing this with weight-jacking which occurs on the diagonal. The problem is not only weight transfer, it is the rolling of the weight when the car leans into a corner. Changing the relationship of the axis on which the weight rolls seems like it is more likely to create problems that have been worked thru by many others. Remember, the 930 Porsche was thought to have evil handling until Porsche refined the understeer/oversteer transition.AS
Old 09-24-2005, 08:19 PM
JPschnitzer
Instructor

I resisted changing out my stock suspension for 2 years, but finally had installed the FVD PSS9's with a moderately lower ride height, and GT2 alignment. The car is actually more supple over bumps now yet also more sporty and buttoned down to the road.....amazing....I am a believer. I would highly recommend this route for any 996TT.
Old 09-24-2005, 11:38 PM
smjjpres
Instructor

Sounds like the Pss9 is the route to go! Thx for all of the input!
Old 09-25-2005, 05:46 PM
Darkworx
Instructor

Last Tag: PSS9... "show her you care"

Quick Reply: Can I Only lower the Front?