Sponsored by:

About Diverter Valves...

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 12:17 PM
BigCarrot
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About Diverter Valves...

My warranty is about up, so I was hoping that my diverter valves would go out in the next few weeks so that I could have them replaced under warranty since they tend to crap out often. I bought some new ones from EVO, and I think my dealer will put them in instead of the OEM parts. How do I know if my stock ones are on the brink? They don't make a noticeable honking sound. Will they throw a CEL? Any way to hasten the process??? lol
Old 11-09-2005, 03:40 PM
Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

They are plastic correct? Plastic has a way of cracking.....(puts hammer behind back)

People tell me decreased boost is the sympton.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:50 PM
BigCarrot
Instructor

I think mine may have just cracked!
Old 11-09-2005, 05:11 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

At about 2500 miles, my OEM DVs started making a honking noise at ~ 2500-3000 rpm while under partial throttle and initial boost. With the bad DVs, I never had a problem achieving full boost under WOT. The dealer replaced them with Baileys under warranty.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:48 PM
BigCarrot
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dock
At about 2500 miles, my OEM DVs started making a honking noise at ~ 2500-3000 rpm while under partial throttle and initial boost. With the bad DVs, I never had a problem achieving full boost under WOT. The dealer replaced them with Baileys under warranty.

Did you buy the Bailey's or did they? Did they honk all the time, or just under certain conditions?
Old 11-09-2005, 06:14 PM
Woodster
Drifting

either way, they are not expensive; I bought baileys but have not put them on yet.
MK
Old 11-09-2005, 06:21 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BigCarrot
Did you buy the Bailey's or did they? Did they honk all the time, or just under certain conditions?
Yes, the dealer bought the Baileys.

The honking would always occur with the right throttle position and rpm range. It took some practice to identify and reproduce the right conditions - something I wanted to do so I could show the dealer the problem. But when I took the car in they just took my word for it and never rode with me or drove the car before agreeing to replace the DVs. Talking with the Regional Service Manager first may have settled the issue though.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:25 PM
BigCarrot
Instructor

Originally Posted by Woodster
either way, they are not expensive; I bought baileys but have not put them on yet.
MK
Yeah, I already bought the EVO DV's, but hell, if the dealer wanted to pay for them I'd sure let them.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:39 PM
variable
Advanced

How did you get the dealer to replace the DV's with aftermarket units? I've tried several times to speak with my dealer of the virtues and benefits of the EVO units, but it has fallen on deaf ears. As soon as they hear "aftermarket" they just say no.
Old 11-10-2005, 06:31 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by variable
How did you get the dealer to replace the DV's with aftermarket units? I've tried several times to speak with my dealer of the virtues and benefits of the EVO units, but it has fallen on deaf ears. As soon as they hear "aftermarket" they just say no.
I started with my Regional Service Manager - told him that I wasn't about to have the DVs replaced with OEM valves when the failures with those units were well documented. I told him I didn't want to be coming back every 2500 miles just to have the same prone-to-fail units installed every time, especially when valves were available (Baileys) that would be a one time fix. He agreed, and told the dealership to buy the Baileys and replace them under warranty.
Old 11-10-2005, 07:47 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Plastic?...the valve maybe?.........baileys, avail in either silver or black....silver below
Old 11-10-2005, 09:32 PM
variable
Advanced

Unhappy

I started with my Regional Service Manager - told him that I wasn't about to have the DVs replaced with OEM valves when the failures with those units were well documented. I told him I didn't want to be coming back every 2500 miles just to have the same prone-to-fail units installed every time, especially when valves were available (Baileys) that would be a one time fix. He agreed, and told the dealership to buy the Baileys and replace them under warranty.

Thanks Dock, I'll try your route next time. Although, the car is out of warranty in 3 months...
Old 11-12-2005, 11:38 AM
BigCarrot
Instructor

Well I decided yesterday to install the EVO diverter valves that I bought. Popped the hood, looked in, and found that I already have Baileys. Oops! I guess I should have looked before I bought new ones, but I just assumed the car was stock. It's actually a nice surprise! Problem solved!
Old 11-12-2005, 12:50 PM
Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BigCarrot
I already have Baileys.
OK dude, what kind of discount are you going to give me on these clearly used DVs
Old 11-12-2005, 01:56 PM
BigCarrot
Instructor

lol I already have them sold to a friend here in Dallas. I did the same thing with the EVO shift link! I guess I should start looking at these things before I buy parts! Doh!

Quick Reply: About Diverter Valves...