Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission oil

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 04:59 PM
m5guru
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For people changing their own fluids, where did you get the tools? I understand that you need a 17mm Allen wrench and something called at 16mm triple square with a hole in the middle (according to RennTech: http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=7060)

Where can I get these tools? Alternatively does anyone near Bethesda, MD have some I could borrow or know of a DIY friendly dealer, mechanic in the area?

Got the fluids already (Mobil 1 75W90) and a fluid pump.

Thanks,
David
Old 06-29-2006, 06:10 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

here are the tech sheets on Motul's popular oils, the racing Gear 300 (full synthetic) available in 75W-90 and the Motylegear (which is a sort of semi-synthetic) available in numerous grades, incase some of you were considering this as an option:

GEAR 300: http://www.triplecaution.us/products..._3178_(GB).pdf

MOTYLEGEAR:

http://www.triplecaution.us/products..._8234_(GB).pdf
http://www.triplecaution.us/products..._3186_(GB).pdf

My comments on quality are irrelevant in this section since i don't have a turbo tranny in my car, but so far so good for me. I'll be posting up a longterm report when i get higher kilometerage on the car with these fluids.
Old 06-30-2006, 10:41 AM
Boston Duce
Advanced

The issue with the S2000 transmissions was/is 1-2 and 3-4 "gear crunch" probably caused by beating the syncros during the shift-not a noise problem. Honda tried to fix this in '04 by going to carbon fiber inserts on the brass syncros, but it didn't cure the problem.

GM Syncromesh FM is the semi-synthetic version of plain Syncromesh and is the lube GM uses for it's light trucks. It does help the gear changes in my car (the S2000 that is) dramatically, eliminating the "crunchies" entirely. It does nothing for noise reduction however. It is about the same viscosity (in appearance-I didn't measure it) as the Honda OEM manual transmission oil, which is a fortified 10w-30 oil.

Other oils used by S2000 guys trying to cure the crunch are Royal Purple Syncromax, Redline MTL/ MTL 90. All are manual transmission specific however.

Using a gear oil designed for differentials in an S2000 transmission is a quick death sentence for that transmission. I recall it is something to due with the additive package to make it an extreme pressure lube- it attacks the soft metal in the syncros.

FWIW, BMW has changed in 2006 to a fully synthetic manual transmission oil LT-2 (983 220 309 031)sold in 5 litre cans- which solved poor shifting complaints in their manual and SMG transmissions, and is billed as a "life time" lube.

Don't know how all this would play out in a Porsche 6 speed but make sure before you jump into it.

Regards,
BD
Old 06-30-2006, 11:17 AM
Gary (Fl)
Racer

Originally Posted by Dock
The car is in the shop right now getting the clutch slave replaced under warranty.
Mine goes in Monday for the same..
Old 07-02-2006, 08:21 PM
Michael Ontic
Intermediate

Default GEAR RATTLE....from Intermidiate shaft, not trans

I'm not certain we're talking about the same gear rattle; but the common position, including porsche acknoledgement, is that the straight cut gears between the crank and intermideate shafts are the rattle you hear at idle. Porsche added several part numbers for the gear set to accomodate variartion in the center distances between the shafts from case to case, but at best it helps/doesn't cure. Any car with more than about 5k miles and you'll hear it standing behind the car. Obviously the gear oil won't fix it. The local Porsche district rep said that's how they are....no fix....and further indicated that this was also true on the 993 TT's but due to the air cooling you just didn't notice it.
See my post above on gear oils and what my dealer told me. I've now had Mobile 1 in my 50k mile trans for 10k miles....no prob;lems, and no noticable difference from the factory fill. Mike

Quick Reply: Transmission oil