Sponsored by:

Would Tiptronic Work?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 02:33 AM
Rob997
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would Tiptronic Work?

I am considering a low miles 996 Turbo as a daily driver...want to have some fun every day. However, the wife may need to drive the car occassionally and does not drive stick, plus I may be in traffic on occassion for work. One question, would I be satisfied in the long run with tiptronic? Any issues with tip? I always had stick in my previous sports cars.

I need some opinions please.

Previous rides: Z06, 997, 997S, Lotus Elise

Thanks!
Old 07-13-2006, 10:28 AM
Boston Duce
Advanced

The tip responds best if it's driven briskly or beyond-just like any hi-performance application.

Around town, unless you use the 'manual' feature, the tip is always trying to get into top gear as quick as it can. It will putter around like a Buick if you let it.

It tends to rumble around in fifth a lot when in full auto and driven conservatively.

Regards
BD
Old 07-13-2006, 12:27 PM
Boston Duce
Advanced

One other thought.

Your tip will never allow any type of an over-rev to happen, neither will you experience any shifting problem due to bad syncros.

There are more than a few with those problems in the 6-speed version.

Regards,
BD
Old 07-13-2006, 12:50 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Going by your previous "rides" your reasons for getting an automatic dont make sense. Unless the Elise has a tip I dont know about. I didnt think the Z06 was also automatic? And so no you wont be satisfied.
Old 07-13-2006, 06:36 PM
mrpc12
Addict
Rennlist Member

The Tip has to be driven in manual mode otherwise it really lugs the engine becasue it upshifts too quickly in normal city driving. I actually only use two gears on my way to work everyday. 2nd and 3rd - no freeway driving.

That said, it works fine in auto mode for wives to drive. They don't care if the engine lugs along as long as the car goes and they don't have to use a clutch or shift.

However..........in the long run you will not be happy with it if you have only had manual transmission sports cars before.
Old 07-13-2006, 07:31 PM
k4site
Instructor

If anyone would have told me I would purchase a tip porsche, I would have called them a lier. Well I ran accross a 02 x50 tip with low miles and I purchased it. I was waiting for a GT3 and decided that it would be sometime before I get it. (tenth on my dealer list) . Well I really do like it, you can leave it in automatic mode and still shift it manually on the steering wheel. It holds that gear for about 10 seconds and then shifts automatically. In the manual mode it works like a manual except it shifts just before redline. Anyway, I like it so much that I might not get the GT3 but I do have a few months before that happens ( maybe I will keep both) The only complaint is that it doesn't get of the line quickly, as you can slip the clutch in the manual ...thats my 2cents

PS: I am ago an old Fart and getting tired of shifting !
Old 07-13-2006, 07:40 PM
Larry Harris
Burning Brakes

My wife's Boxster S is a Tip and I really like driving it. In manual mode its fun to drive. It doesn't compare with my 6 speed 911 but you have to admire it for what it is.
Old 07-14-2006, 04:00 AM
Craig.
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mrpc12
The Tip has to be driven in manual mode
Exactly. I never drive in auto mode. I personally love the Tip!!!

Craig
Old 07-15-2006, 09:50 AM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

I think the tip is great for routine driving, and surprisingly good for fast driving. And, you won't face the aggravation Tom did. I find in 90+ percent of my driving, I now actualy prefer full auto, and therefore am using my E55 more than previously. Road construction had a lot to do with this, because I just didn't like all the stop/starts in the manual car.

All the heel/toe slklls/shifting satisfaction discussion is really pointless, since you don't use enough speed, braking or revs on the street to effectively heel/toe (Real racers don't thrttle blip every downshift in street driving in my experience- it's pointless).

The major downside of the tip is it slightly blunts accelerative sensation due to the shock-absortive nature of the torque converter. That being said, turbos and automatics go well together on the street, because the auto will drop down a gear or two on sharp acceleration and spool the turbo faster than you can downshift a gear or two.

Recall, in racing and performance testing there is no downshift to accelerate, all downshifts occur under braking. In street driving, there are lots of downshifts to accelerate, and there the tip is far superior.

Lastly, I've restated repeatedly that the tip is actually faster on a standing start in traffic, when YOU ARE DRIVING YOUR OWN CAR. None of us will do a drop-clutch launch in traffic, and all of us hate the early upshift to second. The tip will easily do a maximal, non-traumatic launch in traffic, and has better gear spacing and shift characteristics for getting across an intersection. AS
Old 07-15-2006, 12:21 PM
Rob997
AutoX

Thanks guys! Good stuff!

After reading your inputs, I think I am going to look for a 2002 or 2003 low mileage (less then 10K) tiptronic with the X50 package.

I'll keep you posted.

Rob
Old 07-15-2006, 07:22 PM
RT7
Burning Brakes

I enjoy driving the tip in manual mode (99.99 percent of the time is on manual mode) especially when I have to drive around in LA traffic. Since you're in Yorba Linda, the tip is good for 91 fwy.
Old 07-25-2006, 03:00 PM
jebia
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm an ex-z06 owner who loves the tiptronic. I've had a chance to track this car like I used to track my z06. I actually prefer the tiiptronic, because I can now concentrate on my track line vs shifting. I'm faster with the 996tt. Its also better in traffic as a day to day ride.

Jon
Old 08-08-2006, 03:07 PM
Dustman
Advanced

i must say, the Tip works quite well. I found it is much more enjoyable with the GIAC ECU flash though. I use my 03 as a daily driver, put 10k miles on it in LA traffic in 9months, rarely wanting for a stick. Manual mode works damn well, esp if you just leave in auto, but use the wheel shifts, which return to normal auto after 10 seconds. Perfect I find. Shifts are not as fast in full auto mode as my 540ia unfortunately. Now, if you could come up with a way to eliminate lag...the tip would rule.
BTW - a little "drive" on Sunday vs a 360 Modena stick, quite funny when he had to shift and my TT walked away.

Quick Reply: Would Tiptronic Work?