Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed V-Flow Intake, Now in Limp Mode.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 12:01 PM
shane.emc
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed V-Flow Intake, Now in Limp Mode.

Well after doing what I thought was some research regarding the evoms V-Flow intake I took the plunge. I installed it yesterday and took the car for a test drive. It started out in limp mode which I have never been in before with the car. Then I turned off the engine, restarted the car and it started running normally. I took it for a 5 minute test drive and called it a day. Started the car this morning and it was in limp mode restarted the car and it is still in limp mode.

My definition of limp mode as I understand it is the car only boosts at 50% and maxes out at .5 Bar.

My mods: GIAC ECU, F6 plugs, Aftermarket DV's, and just added V-Flow Intake.

Besides removing the the Intake any other thoughts on what the problem could be? Do I need to disconnect the battery or something to reset system?
Old 09-14-2006, 12:10 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

When you say limp mod...I assume you mean you threw some codes (ABS/PCM or CEL). What are the codes. You can clear some codes by disconnecting the battery, but ceratin types of codes can not be cleared or will come back if the cause isn't resolved. There have been many discussions as you are aware regarding the filters and oil etc., All I know is that when I ran the V-flow in my set-up at my altitude I blew MAFs (ABS/PCM CEL)...with it removed...no more problems.
Old 09-14-2006, 12:34 PM
shane.emc
Advanced

Originally Posted by wross996tt
When you say limp mod...I assume you mean you threw some codes (ABS/PCM or CEL). What are the codes. You can clear some codes by disconnecting the battery, but ceratin types of codes can not be cleared or will come back if the cause isn't resolved. There have been many discussions as you are aware regarding the filters and oil etc., All I know is that when I ran the V-flow in my set-up at my altitude I blew MAFs (ABS/PCM CEL)...with it removed...no more problems.
No codes yet. All I can say is that the boost usually goes to 1.0 consistantly. After installing the Intake and it went to only 0.5 Bar. After I restarted the car it went back to 1.0 Bar. Then this morning it only went to .5 bar restarted the car and it is still at .5 bar.
Old 09-14-2006, 02:20 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I didnt know you could go into limp mode without throwing codes and lights and whatever?! sorry to here that shane, that's why I have stayed away from "the box" for now.
Old 09-14-2006, 03:01 PM
shane.emc
Advanced

Not really sure if it is limp mode or not. All I know is the car won't go beyond .5 Bars of boost. It may not be full limp mode but it is definitely not erect.
Old 09-14-2006, 03:14 PM
shane.emc
Advanced

Tried disconnecting the battery for 15 minutes. Still won't go beyond .5 bar. Maybe something got disconnected during the insall process. Anybody have any suggestions ???
Old 09-14-2006, 03:49 PM
KPG
Pro

I know this sounds obvious, but the MAF is connected properly, correct? Kevin
Old 09-14-2006, 04:06 PM
MBailey
Instructor

How long have your plugs been in? I had the same problem after I changed the intake but it turned out to be plugs. Since I changed the plugs the car boosts to 1.1 bar with the evo intake.
Old 09-14-2006, 04:23 PM
shane.emc
Advanced

Answer 1
I know this sounds obvious, but the MAF is connected properly, correct? Yep. I disconnected the cable then plugged it back in a few time now.

Answer 2
How long have your plugs been in? I had the same problem after I changed the intake but it turned out to be plugs. Since I changed the plugs the car boosts to 1.1 bar with the evo intake. I just had brand new plugs installed a couple of weeks ago. I used the Bosch F6 plugs.

Below are the directions I followed to install the kit. All the work is done on the left side of the engine. So it is possible that I disconnected something by mistake while working on the car. If anybody wants to look through the install directions then make a guess at what could have gone wrong feel free.

http://evoms.com/WebSiteUsers/evoadm...20w%20pics.pdf
Old 09-14-2006, 05:02 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

I would stilll hook up a code reader. Any leaks (did you hit a hose by accident?)
Old 09-14-2006, 05:36 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

As suggested, take it to a dealer and have them hook up a PST2 (or PIWIS).
Old 09-14-2006, 06:21 PM
shane.emc
Advanced

Well I took the whole thing out stared at the engine for a while and put it back on. Still only hitting .5 bars. When I get home I'm going to put the stock intake back in and see if it works. If it still doesn't work then I am off to the dealer. If it does work then I am going to return it.

I will let you all know how it goes.
Old 09-14-2006, 10:11 PM
shane.emc
Advanced

Before putting the stock air box back in I disconnected the battery one more time. The car ran normally for about 5 - 10 minutes then when back into limp mode. No engine lights at all. But boost went from 1.0 Bar back to a max of .5 or .6 Bar. Going to put the stock box back in and see how that works for a while. Updates to follow.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:56 AM
shane.emc
Advanced

Waiting for my car to cool down before I work on it. The check engine light has now officially come on. The last 3 times I started the car it ran fine for about 5 minutes then went back to limp mode. The last time the check engine light came on. When it is running normally with the intake it runs very strong and the boost goes from 0 to 1.0 bar almost instantly and easily hits 1.1 bar. This Intake makes a huge difference on my car I just wish I could get my damn car to run with it.

I want to keep updating the thread so when somebody in the future has a problem they will have all the details.
Old 09-15-2006, 03:12 AM
RT7
Burning Brakes

Have you checked for loose hoses?

Quick Reply: Installed V-Flow Intake, Now in Limp Mode.