Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust system upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 01:28 AM
vantt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Exhaust system upgrade

Hey Boys, firstly what a great site this is. I have a chance to upgrade my stock system with a europipe system, 100 cell, our local performance shop is willing to go 5000 canadian installed which is 4000 in your real money. I would love some feedback on this as to wether the gains are worth the money ect and feedback on the system if you have any experience with the same. The shop is claiming gains of up to 25 hp while i noticed the europipe web page. says 17?

Many thanks
Bruce In Vancouver
Old 04-21-2007, 01:44 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 309 Likes on 215 Posts

Bruce, welcome to Rennlist.

Europipe makes 3 different systems..

Stage 1 I wouldn't install one.

Stage 2 Quiet

Stage 2 Loud

Is it brand new? Find out which one it is.. Typically a used Stage 2 will sell for 3,200 on up with 3,500 being the average..
Old 04-21-2007, 01:49 AM
vantt

Many thanks for the quick reply kevin, if im not mistaken its a stage 1 and it is new. If you dont mind me asking why a no go on the stage 1?

Cheers
Old 04-21-2007, 02:31 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Because the gains aren't worth it over stock. And it is as quiet as the stock exhaust.. You typically change the exhaust for a sound improvement. Stage 1 is designed for Europe with severe sound db requirements. If you want my advice look at the Stage 2 Quiet.. There are plenty of Rennlisters that have this exhaust installed. I have a Stage 2 loud instock..
Old 04-21-2007, 03:27 AM
Zippy
Addict
Rennlist Member

With the stage 2, it's not so much the increase in power, but your boost comes on about 500 RPM sooner. If you are looking for an increase and improvement in your exhaust note, buy the Europipe Stage 2 Loud - it's outstanding.
Old 04-21-2007, 03:28 PM
vantt

Thanks so much guys this is exactly the feedback I was looking for!
Old 04-21-2007, 04:54 PM
Jon Elliott
Advanced

I'm with Kevin, the stage 2 is the way to go. It is a upgrade ready exhaust. I went with the Quiet 2 and have loved it.

Great exhaust from a chip flash to a sweet UMW Stage 3 B....
Old 04-22-2007, 12:16 AM
TurboLove
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

okay, am I glad I found this thread. I am convinced that the EP exhaust system is the way to go. (I have an 03 TT) However I was told by a reputable mod shop that I should be good to go with an EP stage 1. Since my stock car doesnt have k24 turbos, the stage 2 wont really apply. Can anyone decipher what the hell that supposed to mean?? I see plenty of guys going with EP II loud but wonder if Stage I would actually be better. Pls explain the differences. I am very dense!!

cheers,
steven
Old 04-22-2007, 01:17 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The structure of the Stage 1 and Stage 2 are different. The Stage 1 is more restrictive..

The Stage 2 exhaust system whether it is a Quiet or a Loud version has full 70mm piping thru the entire system.. The Stage 2 exhaust systems flow more air. This will ALLOW your turbochargers to spool quicker making boost sooner, thus making torque sooner..

Save your money and buy the Stage 2 system.. Quiet or Loud..

One other note: resale-the Stage 2 system will sell faster than any other exhaust with higher resale value that ANY other system on the market
Old 04-22-2007, 11:57 AM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have reviewed the whole market at present and appreciate the full reviews and ideas on the list. I have decided to go with the EuroPipe Stage 2 Loud once I save up the funds....just cannot get enough of the quality I can see in the photos on their site and the fact that, if I want to sell it, I lose a lot less money.... I don't plan to do that. To the contrary, I want to keep the car 10 years....

I think the equalizer issue is real...Porsche and EP use this and it will make for long term balance and drone avoidance.....just my opinion. I also just want to get the best I can....when I have done so, it has always ended up saving me money someplace else down the road (like if I went to get a better set of turbos from Kevin...would not need to upgrade my exhaust again).

I like the look of the EP better too....fwiw.... Something about it looks just top notch (I have done machining in the past and ride a Seven road bike....so I am biased. The TIG welds on the EP are just amazing.....having done a tiny bit.... that stuff is hard to do.

I am human...so I just wish it all cost less.

JB
Old 04-22-2007, 12:34 PM
MidnighTT
Racer

One thing about the EP - has anyone seen what's inside of that can between the cat and the muffler? I'm wondering if it's empty, or baffled.

Also, I think it's time for another muffler shootout since there are some new designs on the field. If any vendor wants to pull it together I'd gladly fly to the shop to help with the wrenching.

Jeff
Old 04-23-2007, 01:25 AM
Duane993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just trying to figure out how to R & R the exhuast and cats without pullin the bumper...The tuff spot is the outboard upper nuts attaching the cats to the turbos. I can't seem to get a more that a 1/8 turn on it. I've tried 1/4 sockets, 3/8 sockets, universal joints, open ends, box wrenches, offset boxes, crows feet, etc. My other question is there enought slack in the cat sensors to drop them without damaging the wires.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:37 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

With the time that you have wasted trying to get to all the nuts you can/could have had your bumper off. It is very easy to do..

You have to disconnect the O2 sensors.. You risk damaging the wires. However, besides that you will twist the wires while you are unscrewing the sensors.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:47 AM
Duane993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TY Kevin..does pulling the bumper give you better access to the nuts on the turbo's. It seems the intercoolers and heat shields are in the way two. Not that taking all the stuff off bothers me. Just can't seem to find all the fastners for the bumper cover.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:02 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

You need to start with removing the rear inner fender liner. Once removed, you can see the phillips fastener holding the forward edge of the bumper cover closest to the rear tires. You have two torq fasteners on the lower corners and two phillips on the lower rear of the cover. As you know there are 4 on the upper top holding down the retain plate. You can then remove your IC. Unclip the "U" retaining wire and pull the pressure hoses out of the IC. You have two nuts located in the inner fender area, and one positioned close to where the forward bumper cover phillips was. Then two rearward bolts.

After you remove all of this you have great access, and since you are this far, you might as well replace your plugs..

Now if you install a EP, you have bent wrenches that will allow you to gain access to the upper turbocharger nuts.. It requires some patients but with it you can remove the exhaust without taking the bumper cover off.. However, many customers have struggled with this and ended up removing the bumper cover. In the end you have to be comfortable with what you are doing.

Quick Reply: Exhaust system upgrade