Sponsored by:

Litronic Headlight question

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 02:15 PM
rwilliamtaylor
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Litronic Headlight question

I just picked up this 02 996tt X50 a few days ago. Last night I was driving after dark on some back roads with rough pavement and noticed that when I hit a bump or bad pavement the headlights would vibrate up and down a bit. In fact it almost seemed like they may be flickering.

Is this normal for the Litronic headlights?
Old 11-08-2007, 02:35 PM
vyper340
Pro

Nope. Something is loose.
Old 11-08-2007, 03:27 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Are you talking about something other than the automatic headlight beam adjustment that occurs when not on a level surface?
Old 11-08-2007, 07:07 PM
rwilliamtaylor
Advanced

Hmmm, I suppose it could be the headlights auto adjusting. I notice when I start the car with the headlights on that the headlights adjust.

If this was an ordinary car I would say that the headlight was loose, but thats not the case here.

I'll get under there and check the connectors. I wonder if a loose connector would cause the same effect as when the car is first started.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:38 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

I think Porsche refers to the Turbo headlights as "Bi-Xenon". Porsche uses the term "Litronic" for the headlights in other non-Turbo Porsches. I believe Porsche Litronic headlights use a Xenon bulb for the low beams, and a halogen bulb for the high beams. Bi-Xenon headlights use Xenon bulbs for both.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:52 AM
Duane993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

William,
Nice TT. What options are on it. Tires and wheels look slick. Post some more pics. Not sure how much flicker your getting. Mine tend to do it a bit on very rough pavement but never any place else.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:56 AM
SimonK
Burning Brakes

One of my lights was the same when I bought the car. Undo the light cluster and pull out. You will see a plastic round bit (on the inner side / to the side of the lamp cluster which needs to slot into the provided grove - car side. Someone was probably changing the bulb (like in my case and was an idiot), they either broke the plastic bit or it isn't wedged in properly – can be done. I fixed mine with superglue and its fine now.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:53 AM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The headlights auto-adjusting will not be noticeable. If you are experiencing a flickering, there is something wrong with your lights.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:55 AM
rwilliamtaylor
Advanced

Simon, I think you're right. The right side headlight is solid, but the left side moves a bit and if I flex it the high beam goes out so it's definitely a loose connection.

How do you undo the light clulster?

Duane,

The car is a stock X50 except for the wheels and tires. They are Zone 3 wheels and Toyo Proxes T1R tires. Options are factory Aero kit, aluminum trim and guage package, full supple leather, heated seats, premium sound and some small stuff that I'd have to check the window sticker for. MSRP was $153K.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:39 AM
manny_g
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dock
I think Porsche refers to the Turbo headlights as "Bi-Xenon". Porsche uses the term "Litronic" for the headlights in other non-Turbo Porsches. I believe Porsche Litronic headlights use a Xenon bulb for the low beams, and a halogen bulb for the high beams. Bi-Xenon headlights use Xenon bulbs for both.
did not know that....learn something new everyday..
Old 11-10-2007, 01:19 AM
rwilliamtaylor
Advanced

This forum ROCKS!

Thanks Simon, I did as you say and found that the headlight assembly was ok on the tracks but just not locked in place. I turned the lock 90 degrees and the headlight locked in place.

Problem solved!

Quick Reply: Litronic Headlight question