Sponsored by:

Pricing question for the experts here

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 10:51 PM
aminewyork
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Pricing question for the experts here

Hi guys.. newbie here, big fan of this forum.

I'd love to get your thoughts on the following:

Been looking at an '02 996tt - Price owner is asking - $66k

Details:

Arctic Silver/Graphite Grey Full Leather Full Leather
P14 - Heated Front Seats Package
M6P - Graphite Grey Floor Mat
446 - Wheel Caps with Colored Crest
982 - Supple Leather Front and Rear

***** 6400 miles!

What do you think? Good deal? The low miles on this car have kept me thinking about it for 2 weeks. What am I missing?

thanks in advance!
Old 11-11-2007, 10:58 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

CPO warranty on the vehicle?
PPI results?

It's not particularly heavily optioned, so the price might be a few $K high, although one could argue the low mileage offsets this.
Old 11-11-2007, 11:16 PM
aminewyork
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
CPO warranty on the vehicle?
PPI results?

It's not particularly heavily optioned, so the price might be a few $K high, although one could argue the low mileage offsets this.
Thanks for the reply. No CPO on this vehicle. I haven't done my own PPI yet, but dealership shop said it was clean and CPO - able no problem.
Old 11-11-2007, 11:21 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

The low mileage premium is no more than 10%, so there is probably some room to come down to a really favorable price. The CPO would need to come from a dealer, and would add $1800. To me, 60K and no CPO, or 62K with CPO is the right range (and possibly still high). A dealer offered me 53K for my 02X50 with 40,000 miles. So low miles would have gotten me maybe 58K at the wholesale level for a car much more expensive then the one cited. AS
Old 11-11-2007, 11:21 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aminewyork
Thanks for the reply. No CPO on this vehicle. I haven't done my own PPI yet, but dealership shop said it was clean and CPO - able no problem.
If the car is clean and optioned like you'd want i'd say thats a pretty good deal. IMO you'd be hard pressed to find another 02 with that kind of mileage for that price.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:49 AM
LAJ_996
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by carn3rd
If the car is clean and optioned like you'd want i'd say thats a pretty good deal. IMO you'd be hard pressed to find another 02 with that kind of mileage for that price.
what he says. you get what you pay for. if you are able to deal with the people in person and you like everything about the car, go for it. yeah you can always look for a car a little cheaper but don't fret the 4-5k, in the end not a big deal.
most of the hit was taken by the previous owner. good luck.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:52 AM
seattle_sun
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I also think its a good deal. Yeah, you might find one cheaper, but is it going to be in the same condition and is it going to have what you want on it? If you like it, go for it!
Old 11-12-2007, 02:39 AM
whyb2nd
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Clean low milage older T p cars are hard to come buy, though keep in mind they made a ton of 996 turbos. I still think that price is close if I were buying but there is still some room. I would offer 62,500 and if he bites you cover your cpo and some pocket change. 64,000 would be max, this covers your ppi and cpo.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:06 PM
aminewyork
Rennlist Member

thanks guys. whyb2nd - I was leaning to what you say - offer $64k as my limit, which would include dealer doing CPO.

The car doesn't really have all the options I want and def NOT the interior I want, but I like the low miles and I really like the deals to be had on 996tt's now, so i am willing compromise. Plus.. when I test drove this car, the amazing driving experience made me forgot what color the dashboard and carpet was .

Question - if dealer will CPO the car and it certifies without problem, do I still need to get an independent PPI?
Old 11-12-2007, 12:24 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by aminewyork
thanks guys. whyb2nd - I was leaning to what you say - offer $64k as my limit, which would include dealer doing CPO.

The car doesn't really have all the options I want and def NOT the interior I want, but I like the low miles and I really like the deals to be had on 996tt's now, so i am willing compromise. Plus.. when I test drove this car, the amazing driving experience made me forgot what color the dashboard and carpet was .

Question - if dealer will CPO the car and it certifies without problem, do I still need to get an independent PPI?
Some dealers won't allow the car to be taken for an independent PPI, as the CPO process covers this....at least from their perspective.
A CPO inspection does not, IIRC, cover leakdown or compression (need to remove rear bumper for spark plug access...although you can leave the bumper on and remove other bits to get at them....).
Also remember that a CPO is NOT the same 100% coverage as the OEM warranty.
Old 11-12-2007, 02:29 PM
manny_g
Burning Brakes

even though the cpo is not an original warranty it will cover major items if something does go wrong. i am a little weary about these older cars with low mileage because of all those gremlins hiding underneath the hood...a couple of out of pocket expenses not covered by the cpo plus the premium paid for low mileage will not seem like a good deal anymore. just my $.02 worth..

good luck...
Old 11-12-2007, 02:40 PM
justinmm2
Burning Brakes

Get him down $5-6k and enjoy Cite a lack of CPO as rationale (partly).
Old 11-12-2007, 07:20 PM
gobble
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm one that is willing to pay a decent premium for a clean low mile car. How many other 6,000 mile cars are out there? To me that's easily worth $5k extra compared to a 36,000 mile car. If you don't buy it in the low $60's, someone else will.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:41 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by manny_g
i am a little weary about these older cars with low mileage because of all those gremlins hiding underneath the hood...a couple of out of pocket expenses not covered by the cpo plus the premium paid for low mileage will not seem like a good deal anymore. just my $.02 worth..

good luck...
I'm a bit confused and must be missing something.
Why would a gremlin be any different for a 6K mile car vs a 36K mile car (given the same design and model year)?
Old 11-13-2007, 09:56 AM
manny_g
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ltc
I'm a bit confused and must be missing something.
Why would a gremlin be any different for a 6K mile car vs a 36K mile car (given the same design and model year)?
easily...a car that has been driven more will most likely experience the things that usually do go wrong. example a friend recently purchased a 03 wth 13k miles. within the first year he had to replace a clutch accumulator about $1,200.00 plus the power steering reservoir tank about $1,500.00 and a couple of other things. these are normally not covered by cpo and he was out of pocket for almost 3k. i'm not saying that this will happen to every car, but from what i have read here in this forum these things are common. i also understand that early turbos suffer from 2nd gear pop outs and if owner does not have a warranty could lead to $$$ in repairs.

Quick Reply: Pricing question for the experts here