Default 996 Bose subwoofer Vs 997 Bose subwoofer

Hi all,
can a 997 item be used on a 996?

harris
Old 01-16-2012, 10:50 PM
dansaenz
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure why you would buy a Bose subwoofer, IMHO they sound like ****e. I'm doing an install with Car Audio Innovations soon, so I can sell my Bose sub from my 997 if you still decide you want one...
Old 01-16-2012, 11:04 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Don't think you can just put aftermarket speakers in a Bose Porsche system. The impedences are not standard. To change out speakers, you need to pull all the speakers out, change them with aftermarkets that fit, and change out the Bose amp. So if he is only looking for a sub replacement, I think he is locked into a Bose sub.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:05 AM
SSST
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It took some fiddling with the controls, but I got my Bose system sounding better than expected with the Dension Ipod intergration.

Thought about upgrading, but it's a turbo cab. With all the engine, road, and wind noise I figured why bother? It's not like I'm going to get a big improvement unless I'm sitting in the garage with the engine off. Which would just be weird.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:10 AM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SSST
It took some fiddling with the controls, but I got my Bose system sounding better than expected with the Dension Ipod intergration.

Thought about upgrading, but it's a turbo cab. With all the engine, road, and wind noise I figured why bother? It's not like I'm going to get a big improvement unless I'm sitting in the garage with the engine off. Which would just be weird.
You would be surprised what a decent system does for a cab. I had Audio Innovations do a fairly simple system on my 964 cab and it sounds incredible, even at speed. Rod does amazing work.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:10 AM
uschoice
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SSST

I got to agree with you there SSST. To overcome all the external noises, the stereo would need to be at high levels. I don't want to be the guy in the cab at the stop light blasting AC/DC, having the people saying, "look at that a-hole". By the way, I was just getting my sunglasses out of the turbo in the garage and turned on the radio. Just then my wife came in, and yeah, it was just a little weird. LOL.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:56 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

it's only weird if you're in your car listening to the radio in your garage with your sunglasses on.

but seriously, my sub sounds terrible ( '03 MOST system ) while my '02 with essentially the same system but without that fiber optic crap sounded incredible. it had that loudness on/off feature which made a world of difference.. it may be as simple as the old "analog" vs "digital" trade-off.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:03 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd
Don't think you can just put aftermarket speakers in a Bose Porsche system. The impedences are not standard. To change out speakers, you need to pull all the speakers out, change them with aftermarkets that fit, and change out the Bose amp. So if he is only looking for a sub replacement, I think he is locked into a Bose sub.
The Bose amplifier outputs support standard speaker impedances. They are off the shelf audio power amplifiers from STMicro and/or NXP. No magic.

The lowest impedence is the 'subwoofer' , which is actually just a ported (mid) bass driver(s).
Old 01-17-2012, 10:05 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
it's only weird if you're in your car listening to the radio in your garage with your sunglasses on.

but seriously, my sub sounds terrible ( '03 MOST system ) while my '02 with essentially the same system but without that fiber optic crap sounded incredible. it had that loudness on/off feature which made a world of difference.. it may be as simple as the old "analog" vs "digital" trade-off.
the difference had nothing to do with the MOST vs line level analog.
it was strictly based on the EQ and signal processing differences between the analog amplifier and MOST amplifier, combined with the differences in tuning.

FWIW, Porsche always does executive test drives and listening tests to approve all audio EQ's ...
Old 01-17-2012, 12:12 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
the difference had nothing to do with the MOST vs line level analog.
it was strictly based on the EQ and signal processing differences between the analog amplifier and MOST amplifier, combined with the differences in tuning.

FWIW, Porsche always does executive test drives and listening tests to approve all audio EQ's ...
interesting, thanks for that. i'm not sure why the difference in my '03 is so dramatically bass deficient, relative to my '02. but it is. i'm fairly certain the lack of a switchable "loudness" feature on the MY 03 has something to do with it.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:46 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

ITC the Bose speakers on a Porsche are 2 ohm nominal impedeance loads. Most amps are rated at 8 and 4 ohm loads. Most speakers are rated at 8 and 4 ohm nominal impedance. With that said, adding an 8 ohm or 4 ohm replacement speaker not only play as loud, but could cause an inbalance in the overall listening. So my comment stands, changing out the amp along with the change in speaker impedences will assure the same level output. If I recall the Bose system is 160watt system at 2 ohms, Change that to 8 ohms and the output will drop to somewhere around 40 watt as an estimate. So hence my reason for saying you need to swap out the amp.

The difference you are hearing between the earlier cars and the later system is the DSP in the later cars!
Old 01-17-2012, 02:17 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd
ITC the Bose speakers on a Porsche are 2 ohm nominal impedeance loads. Most amps are rated at 8 and 4 ohm loads. Most speakers are rated at 8 and 4 ohm nominal impedance. With that said, adding an 8 ohm or 4 ohm replacement speaker not only play as loud, but could cause an inbalance in the overall listening. So my comment stands, changing out the amp along with the change in speaker impedences will assure the same level output. If I recall the Bose system is 160watt system at 2 ohms, Change that to 8 ohms and the output will drop to somewhere around 40 watt as an estimate. So hence my reason for saying you need to swap out the amp.

The difference you are hearing between the earlier cars and the later system is the DSP in the later cars!
For a second there, I thought I actually designed it and knew something about it. What was I thinking?

Thanks for setting me straight.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:43 PM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just removed my 996T Bose Subwoofer. Nothing wrong with it...just gets in the way of the Rear shock adjusters, saves weight, I am half deaf driving a car w/ a loud exhaust. So I really don't need it.

This is a 2002. no MOST system.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:37 AM
dansaenz
AutoX

Yeah, I'm just upgrading the subs as of right now... Eventually will get to upgrading everything but I have a long list of mods that I want to do first. Adding subs with an amp is not difficult, so no reason to be stuck with the Bose one. JL Audio just announced a stealth box for two JL TW5 13's so might be a cool option for ppl who want some "slump!" haha
Old 01-18-2012, 04:30 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

As an FYI, directly from Bose! I ahve a few other questions pending.

Thank you for your inquiry regarding the Bose Automotive Music System in your 2002 Porsche 911. In answer to your question, the amplifier assembly is not set up for 8 ohm speakers.

I hope this information is helpful to you.Thank you for contacting Bose Corporation.
Patty Bolack
Consumer Relations Division

Quick Reply: 996 Bose subwoofer Vs 997 Bose subwoofer