Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 07:29 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
I wonder what a 996 Turbo would be worth if only a very few owners were selling them?
Probably about the same.
Sorry, but it is the 'new' reality of '911 Turbo' ownership and modern era Porsche ownership in general
Years ago, owning a Porsche actually meant something.....soon it will be no different than owning a VW.

Not really a problem to me, since I plan on being buried in mine......still arguing with the EPA on that point.

5500 miles and everytime I drive it, it's like the first time all over again.
Old 11-28-2008, 12:56 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

I think the law of supply and demand would mean that with fewer 996 Turbos available, the prices for these limited number of Turbos would be higher than what we see Turbos going for now.

P.S. I'm never selling my Turbo.
Old 11-28-2008, 01:34 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,172 Likes on 577 Posts

the 996tt has got to be the biggest supercar bargain of all time right now
Old 11-28-2008, 11:25 AM
forhamilton
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you can pick up some cheap C6Z's now also. 600hp very quickly and cheap.
Originally Posted by eclou
the 996tt has got to be the biggest supercar bargain of all time right now
Old 11-28-2008, 04:00 PM
Trader220
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
The reason is simple.
Overproduction.
Dr. W's goal of 100K cars/year (no matter what) has turned cars such as these into Porsche commodities. It's worse for the 98x/99x NA cars, but same underlying reason.
In comparison to other cars in this category, they are overproduced, Porsche doesn't say 'no' to anyone with a checkbook.
The only time they limit or allocate is when they have produced too many and/or the model simply isn't selling (i.e. Targa 4S....some of the top dealers are only getting one in 2009)
I totally agree. It’s a simple supply and demand issue. These 996 TT’s are stellar performance bargains in my opinion these days. The unfortunate thing is that made so many and the demand for pre owned cars like these days is really thin. I don’t think too many dealers are looking to take on more inventory at this point and that leaves them to send it to auction. Well auction prices and volumes have taken a beating in the last 6 weeks and although any dealer will make you an offer he knows the odds are he’s going to have to sit on the car and hope the market picks up, that means he will offer a low low price.

I agree with most of the others, you have a really sharp car there, IIWM I would make a couple mods you been itching for and just enjoy the car.
Old 12-01-2008, 05:03 PM
GBG
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks everyone, the responses were very helpful.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:11 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Thought I would post my worthless opinion...I didn't buy my TT for resale or for what others thought. I got rid of a 930 and a 911sc cab for my ...ummm...dream car. I love it, regardless of the current value. Like dock and the supreme dictator...I'm keeping it! HAPPILY!
Old 12-02-2008, 04:09 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

GBG, keep your car, it's a stunner. I always thought a 996tt to 997tt was more of a lateral move than a true 'step up' anyway.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:21 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

Too many cars,--and way too few buyers. Keep that beautiful car to yourself and enjoy it. I ordered my car for ME and I intend to keep it for a long time. That's the way you need to operate sometimes when the economy sours.
Old 12-13-2008, 01:40 PM
951M471 CarreraM491
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
The reason is simple.
Overproduction.
Dr. W's goal of 100K cars/year (no matter what) has turned cars such as these into Porsche commodities. It's worse for the 98x/99x NA cars, but same underlying reason.
In comparison to other cars in this category, they are overproduced, Porsche doesn't say 'no' to anyone with a checkbook.
The only time they limit or allocate is when they have produced too many and/or the model simply isn't selling (i.e. Targa 4S....some of the top dealers are only getting one in 2009)
You do not understand what "overproduction" means. Let me explain. Overproduction occurs when the producer produces more product than they have demand for. Thus Porsche would have "overproduced" if they built more cars than THEY could have sold NEW. i.e. their was more supply on the new market than demand.

Here Porsche has built a lot of 996/986 and 996turbos, but they sold each one, and made a whole lot of profit, becoming the envy of the entire auto industry in doing so.

Porsche did not "overproduce" these cars. Yes they produced a lots of them, but there were a lot of people wanting to buy them. The depressed value on the used market is not a result of "overproduction". Production decisions by manufacturers really have nothing to do with the used market.

What you really seem to want Porsche to have done is to have "under produced" so that there were fewer cars built than demand, so that some of that demand would flow over to the used market. Porsche learned in the late 80's and early 90's that while this does help prop up used values, this does not work our well for a manufacturer who really only cars about sales of it's vehicles on the new market.
Old 12-13-2008, 02:16 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

There are a ga-zillion 2008 Turbo Cabs sitting in Porsche dealer showrooms right now. Those cars are going to have to be heavily discounted to get them sold. So the laws of "supply and demand" and the "trickle down" effect is forcing 996TT prices even lower, especially Cabs.
Old 12-13-2008, 06:16 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Definitely keep your 996TT, the differences are small, you can easily upgrade your car to the same power level. And if you really want a 997TT, check out the used market, they are taking a severe beating like everything else.
Old 12-13-2008, 07:46 PM
newton982
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone know actual 996TT production numbers for North America? I mean, it's not really that common is it? .... or is it?
Old 12-13-2008, 08:28 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

I think the peak was 2002 with something around 2,000, but I could be off on that. It was posted and should be in the archive.
Remember that at the beginning of this decade, we were in the dot com boom. Lots of cars were given away to execs by companies with successful IPO's, and there were lots of paper millionaires. I know when I placed my order in 2000, every Porsche on the Chicago lot was being loaded on a truck and going to California. I paid full sticker for my 2002X50, and because I wasn't "over sticker" I waited well over a year. When my car came in, the dealer offered me $10,000 not to take it, suggesting supply was still well short of demand. The cars weren't "overproduced". But, the economy cooled down, demand went down, and price went down. Used cars then became "over-available". Maybe the more appropriate comment is they were "under-retained" by the original owners.
Original buyers were upset if they thought they had an "investment". The guys who leased cars made out like bandits, because the residuals were unrealistically high. As I always expected to use my car up, resale price is of no consequence. Current buyers are very fortunate. AS
Old 12-13-2008, 11:06 PM
DublinOh
Instructor

Keep your car...and for $70M more...why not buy another 996TT for the track (LOL). I agree that the 997TT is a lateral move...a cosmetic change. The longer you keep your 996TT the less the depreciation will impact your cost of ownership. And cars are very rarely an investment anyway...what we are talking about is enjoyable transportation...enjoy it.

Quick Reply: Dealer Appraisal Is Ugly!