Bridgestone Potenza S-02A N3
Continental ContiSportContact 2 N2
Michelin Pilot Rib N1
Pirelli P Zero System Asimmetrico N3
Old 02-17-2009, 10:19 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

I've gone thru 2 sets of Contis, one set of Pirelli, and a couple sets of Michelins. The Contis are a good compromise tire. Good wear, not good on track, terrible in snow. The big problem is that they get really loud when they wear. The Pirellis are terrible on track (belts shift) but surprisingly good in light snow. The Michelins are the best summer compromise for street, track, and comfort. They wear a little faster, and also can't be driven in winter as even a smal amount of slush makes them impossible. They are worth the price differential.
I live 60 miles from Tire Rack and have bought most of my tires from them. They are impossible to beat for selection, service, technical advice, and professionalism. The old man still works there. directing traffic in the installation area. You would never know he is a gazzilionaire. The sons-in-law run the business, and are really friendly as well. They earn your business. AS
Old 02-17-2009, 10:38 PM
jnx
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=manny_g;6286695]hey luis...yes i did and for the same tires, they quoted me over $1,500.00 for both front and rear..

But did that include mounting and balancing? That could be another $150-$200.

I will not buy from Tire Rack when I can get something locally. I had a problem with a tire that could not be balanced and while the Tire Rack did take care of it, I still had the hassle of sending back a tire, pay to have balanced again, wait for the new tire to arrive..etc,etc,

So, to me it's not worth a few bucks for the potential problems. Something to consider.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:42 PM
youzzi714
Track Day

Originally Posted by David A
Here is the list of Porsche approved tires for the turbo:
Michelin Pilot Rib N1
I went tire shopping today, online and off. Im currently running continental sport contacts 2 on the front and rear, continental sport contacts 2 have been ok, I would say the best all around for the price.

However, today I was told that the 996TT requires a special compound tire....
The same tires as above, question is why? does anyone know why these are the only tires that should be mounted on the 996TT? what is this special compound all about?
Old 02-18-2009, 08:13 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by youzzi714
I went tire shopping today, online and off. Im currently running continental sport contacts 2 on the front and rear, continental sport contacts 2 have been ok, I would say the best all around for the price.

However, today I was told that the 996TT requires a special compound tire....
The same tires as above, question is why? does anyone know why these are the only tires that should be mounted on the 996TT? what is this special compound all about?
more money for Porsche's partners perhaps.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:32 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

There is a complete thread on 6speed on the Sumitomos

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...sumitomos.html
Old 02-18-2009, 12:25 PM
manny_g
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by David A
Here is the list of Porsche approved tires for the turbo:
Michelin Pilot Rib N1
of all four the contisport are the more economial. according to tire rack, the kumho tires are also a best seller and the price for these are incredible compared to the porsche approved.

i'm gald i posted this thread as there is good information here.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:53 PM
slant911
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Manny, et al:

I considered the Kumho and other brands when I was shopping and probably is just a ploy for Porsche to make more $$'s, however, I do believe there is something to sticking with the N approved tires. I was told a very long time ago that Porsche does actually test the tires and don't forget that most cars have the engine up front so the front wheels need to handle more load. It's quite opposite for these cars and I for one would not want to go against what is tried and true (tested) by people likely smarter than me on rubber compounds driving a car at near 200MPH to save $50. Plus in our world of scumbag lawyers what would happen if a non approved tire did blow out and you hit and injured or killed someone because of it. If the other persons attorney got a hold of the info that you had "unapproved" tires on your overpowered sports car you would be toast.

Sorry to rant..just my $.02
Old 02-18-2009, 08:06 PM
youzzi714
Track Day

Considering that I hardly drive my TT anymore, since I moved and I live in the same building as my office... Im gonna go with a regular Z rated radial.
I just dont see paying upto 1k more...
Old 02-18-2009, 11:30 PM
manny_g
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by slant911
Manny, et al:

I considered the Kumho and other brands when I was shopping and probably is just a ploy for Porsche to make more $$'s, however, I do believe there is something to sticking with the N approved tires. I was told a very long time ago that Porsche does actually test the tires and don't forget that most cars have the engine up front so the front wheels need to handle more load. It's quite opposite for these cars and I for one would not want to go against what is tried and true (tested) by people likely smarter than me on rubber compounds driving a car at near 200MPH to save $50. Plus in our world of scumbag lawyers what would happen if a non approved tire did blow out and you hit and injured or killed someone because of it. If the other persons attorney got a hold of the info that you had "unapproved" tires on your overpowered sports car you would be toast.

Sorry to rant..just my $.02
Slant...good points. since i have owned my p-cars i have always used porsche approved tires. i just want to find out if there are others out here using different tires with good results.
Old 02-20-2009, 04:07 AM
qirex
Racer

well I got a set of kumhos installed today. My REAR contis lasted 3-4k miles this time. Its weird b/c I barely drove it in the last year. The last set got ~5-6k...maybe they simply wear down based on TIME???

LOL

ANyhow, the fronts look perfect - I'll keep them just in case.

Living in Socal, snow will never be an issue. The Kumho's were amazing in the first 5 mile drive back from disc tire.

I was shocked at how QUIET they were (or how loud the worn out contis were).

I think that the N rating is related to the thickness of the steel belts used in the tire. I was told that this is a safety thing - you can drive a N rated tire with exposed steel. I've actually done this - TWICE.

I even had a blowout at 30mph. The tire wore through the belts and developed a bubble, you could hear it inside the car like the car was running over a bump (over and over) - then a little pop...1 mile from the tire store...nice.

I'm done tracking the car on street wheels. I'll see how long these Kumhos last. If I can beat 6k, they'll be my tire for this out-of-warraanty porsche driver.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:06 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

I am going with Sumitomo HTR Z III for the spare set of wheels I have... for the daily driving that I do I see no reason to spend what I did last time in the Michelins ($till hurts)...
Old 02-20-2009, 11:45 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jaime, you might miss them at the track, unless you have R-compounds for that.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:52 AM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Land Jet
Jaime, you might miss them at the track, unless you have R-compounds for that.
Michelins are still new. So I might just get the Sumi for daily and save the Michelins for the next DEs.
Old 02-22-2009, 01:58 AM
Kab
Instructor

I checked with Costco, and they tend to run slightly higher than Tire Rack. I have bought two sets of tires from Tire Rack and love their service.

Quick Reply: Need New Tires - Where is the best place