Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 12:12 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

http://store.avlube.com/mobil15w50.html

Mobil 1 5W-50 has the following builder approvals: VW 505 00, PORSCHE A40, MB-Approval 229.3, MB-Approval 229.1, BMW High Performance Diesel Oil. Mobil 1 5W-50 meets or exceeds the following industry specifications: API SM/SL/SJ/CF,ACEA A3/B3,A3/B4

Mobil 1 5W-50 is the most advanced performance synthetic engine oil designed to provide ultimate wear protection for a smooth driving experience every time. Mobil 1 5W-50, Rally Formula, exceeds the requirements of the industry and car manufacturers' standards required for high-performance turbo-charged, supercharged gasoline and diesel multi-valve fuel injected engines. Mobil 1 5W-50 is especially suited for high speed and severe service associated with stop and go driving. Racing or normal driving, Mobil 1 5W-50, Rally Formula, provides heavy-duty engine performance and protection for an outstanding driving experience.

Mobil 1 5w50 Case of 6 quarts 98HF24

Regular price: $48.40
Sale price: $38.63
Old 11-21-2009, 07:30 PM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I just got 4 cases! Thanks guys.
Jeff
Old 11-22-2009, 11:54 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Had dealer change oil in Turbo the other day and had tech use Mobil 1 5w-50 oil.

Can't really say I notice a difference in engine's behavior. Engine pretty quite upon startup even with Mobil 0w-40 and Mobil 1 10w-40 oil present.

I could be seeing a slight improvement in oil pressure at idle, even with engine hot, from a bit over 1.5 bar to just under 2.0 bar. Oil pressure at higher engine speeds appears to be to running a bit higher as well.

With fresh 5w-50 oil in engine have driven car over 1000 miles -- most of it yesterday from Livermore CA to Flagstaff AZ -- and oil consumption nil. Was with the other oil too though.

Overnight temperature here in Flagstaff 19F.

Tech at dealership says I really should be running Mobil 1 15w-50 oil in both Boxster and Turbo.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 11-22-2009, 01:27 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Geez Mac...the mere fact this thread has gone on for four pages should tell you that you'll get all sorts of opinions...especially on this beat-to-death subject.

As ARD said earlier, when I switched to the 5W-50, I noticed an immediate drop in the frequency of times I had to add oil (0W-40), but as time went on, the oil seems to break down (ARD called it "shear") and the hash marks on the dash oil level indicator drop down faster. I've gone over 3000 miles and am down to the third hash mark....which is about 3/4ths of a quart. This was over the course of our HOT summer with days in the high 90's and over 100, and I usually drive pretty hard....so I'm very satisfied with the switch to the higher viscosity.

I bought two more cases...so I'm a believer....but there's really been enough discussion for folks to have made up their minds. It's amusing that in spite of the fact the 5W-50 is on the Porsche approved oil list, and you have a goodly number of folks coming in with kudos for the higher viscosity....that there's still the tendency for folks to include their indy's recommendation for another brand or viscosity. I'm not knocking differences of opinion...just the fact that this subject has an archive that would fill a library shelf.
Old 11-22-2009, 03:06 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 304 Likes on 210 Posts

Chuck I'm going to beat it a little more..

Macster, you just wrote for the second time that your Tech (assume a Porsche tech) told you to use 15W50 in the Porsche 996TT.

You also wrote>> Same Tech >> his reasoning

"Said in the bay area with its mild winter temperatures this oil ok to use and does offer better protection under high temperature high load conditions."

He clearly doesn't understand oil. We have stated that Porsche is giving us a Porsche accepted HIGH temperature 50 weight.. 5W50 does that.

However, in the BAY are we do have colder winter months. I was in San Jose when it was snowing. The 5W vs the 15W has a huge impact with the ability of the oil to circulate and supply lubrication to the valve train and bearings. Many papers have been written that it's better for the engine to have a lighter weight oil at start up. The 15W will act like glue or molasses.

Getting back to the facts, Porsche only approves the 5W50 (when we want the higher 50W for extreme ambient temperature conditions) The Tech is incorrect and his reasoning is flawed to recommend the 15W50.
Old 11-22-2009, 08:50 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

but the porsche tech said so...LOL...That means jack. Agree with Kevin and Chuck...time to close this monstrosity.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:52 AM
911RufRT
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had my car serviced at Ruf Germany for years and they have been using Mobil 1 5W50 for a long time.
Old 11-23-2009, 11:32 AM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by Kevin
Chuck I'm going to beat it a little more..

Macster, you just wrote for the second time that your Tech (assume a Porsche tech) told you to use 15W50 in the Porsche 996TT.

You also wrote>> Same Tech >> his reasoning

"Said in the bay area with its mild winter temperatures this oil ok to use and does offer better protection under high temperature high load conditions."

He clearly doesn't understand oil. We have stated that Porsche is giving us a Porsche accepted HIGH temperature 50 weight.. 5W50 does that.

However, in the BAY are we do have colder winter months. I was in San Jose when it was snowing. The 5W vs the 15W has a huge impact with the ability of the oil to circulate and supply lubrication to the valve train and bearings. Many papers have been written that it's better for the engine to have a lighter weight oil at start up. The 15W will act like glue or molasses.

Getting back to the facts, Porsche only approves the 5W50 (when we want the higher 50W for extreme ambient temperature conditions) The Tech is incorrect and his reasoning is flawed to recommend the 15W50.
Thanks for the sanity check. When dealership tech told me I should be using 15w-50 I of course raised all the points you and others raised.

Since I rely upon him for handling other serious issues with the car it is hard to discount what he says regarding oil. The word is Mobil 1 0w-40 oil is woefully short of high temperature high sheer protection to begin with and loses what it does have in short order. By changing the oil in my Boxster every 5K miles coupled with the type of driving I do I think I compensated for 0w-40 oil's shortcomings.

But the Turbo of course brings its own special needs. And since I plan on keeping the car a long time and covering lots of miles in the meantime -- I'm currently on the road with the car and posting from Whetherford OK -- I want to use the best oil in the engine I can find and afford.

Granted it does snow in SJ once in a great while but snow in the bay area, at least at the lower elevations is rare. When I lived in Sunnyvale CA in 1976 an inch or so of snow fell -- and lasted just a few hours after day break -- but that's about the only time I can remember snow falling.

What is not rare is high temperatures. Even more so in Livermore where I now live. High record is 116F and even this early summer -- coming back from Stanford Concourse -- Turbo's outside temp sensor reported in places temperature 106F to 111F.

Not to beat this point to death, but as a point of reference when I bought my 02 Boxster in KC Mo area the dealer used Mobil 15w-50 oil cause that's all that was available then. Mobil 1 0w-40 had not yet made an appearance here in USA, at least at my dealership. The engine survived many a cold start that 1st winter and maybe the 2nd winter until Mobil 1 0w-40 became available at dealership and at auto parts stores.

Regardless. That was then, this is now: What I'll do is use Mobil 1 5w-50 in the Turbo and Mobil 1 10w-40 "high mileage" oil in the Boxster.

Have covered around 1100 to 1200 miles -- since Saturday when I left Livermore CA -- with 5w-50 in the engine and oil consumption appears to be zilch. Going to fire up the Turbo shortly and let it warm up some. It is foggy and cool here. Temperature last night when I stopped at the hotel was 38F. Better than the night before in Flagstaff when temperature was 19F.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:27 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Originally Posted by Macster
The word is Mobil 1 0w-40 oil is woefully short of high temperature high sheer protection to begin with and loses what it does have in short order.
You are woefully wrong about this...it is still the factory fill...you really should read up on it before you blindly drink the kool aid. A great place to start is to search on Doug Hillary here or at bobtheoilguy.com
Old 11-23-2009, 05:54 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bill: Is that kool aid saying from the Jimmy Jones school of automotive engineering?
Old 11-23-2009, 06:38 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
Bill: Is that kool aid saying from the Jimmy Jones school of automotive engineering?
ding, ding, ding...we have a winner...LOL

Haven't seen you post in a while...good to see you back. hope all is good!
Old 11-23-2009, 06:49 PM
Michael-Dallas
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wross996tt
You are woefully wrong about this...it is still the factory fill...you really should read up on it before you blindly drink the kool aid. A great place to start is to search on Doug Hillary here or at bobtheoilguy.com
Interesting bit from this thread:

Originally Posted by Doug Hillary
Hi,
uzun - The Porsche factory's race engines use M1 0W-40, many privateers here in OZ do, and so do many Teams, privateers and "track day" racers in Europe

It has quite a history as a race lubricant in the correct application

As in any such circumstance it would be best to take a UO sample after each track day initially. Its analysis will tell you much about the lubricants condition and its suitability for further use. To me that's the "professional" way to make a judgement
If it's good enough for factory-backed and privateer motorsport teams, then it's good enuf fo me!

Personally, if one was going to experiment w/ oil weights, then I like AE Haas' recommendation to base it on application (i.e. street, track, etc.) and oil pressure.

Regarding oil consumption, I think it's actually a good thing. Topping off oil replenishes additives and detergents, apparently significantly.

///Michael

And your dog is sooo cool...
Old 11-23-2009, 08:19 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Thanks Michael...he is way cooler than me that's for sure!
Old 11-24-2009, 10:41 AM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by wross996tt
Whose drinking whose Kool Aid?

Mobil 1 used to be group GROUP IV oils (PaO base stock) but Mobile changed to GROUP III+ which is a mixture of dino base stock with some PaO thrown, and this for the best of its oils. The remaining oils are GROUP III or less.

When asked about this Mobil declines to comment other than to say its formulations are proprietary. Funny, when it used PaO oils didn't mind sharing this info with the world.

Also, Mobil 1 0w-40 high temp/high sheer number is quite low compared to other oils in its same class. HTHS is not the only thing one should use to judge an oil's suitability for use but it certainly has to play a role. Mobil 1 3.7 HTHS plays poorly against other oils, even some Mobil 1 oils that have HTHS numbers 4.0 and higher.

As for the comment about factory fill, yes it is, and this seems be used to justify blinding accepting the oil's the best there is. Even Mobil uses this factory fill as some kind of a shield against questioning its oil's quality.

Oh, I visited Bob The Oil Guy's web site. First thing that caught my eye was a Mobil oil banner.

How's that Kool Aid tasting?

I've run Mobil 1 oil now a lot of miles, but I'm having a serious rethink about what oil I'll use going forward.

Mobil 1 is no longer the automatic choice for my Porsches.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:43 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

I guess we should rely on you mr. macster as you are apparently the oil expert as well as a some who speaks directly to mobile to ask them about their formulation and consults with Porsche as to what their factory fill should be oh and lastly YOUR Porsche tech says so...LOL. The rest of us are dumb sh*ts. bobtheoilguy is actually mobile in disguise...who would have figured.

Quick Reply: Switched to the Mobil 5W-50 today