Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Switched to the Mobil 5W-50 today

Old 07-10-2009, 08:35 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Switched to the Mobil 5W-50 today

Well today I switched to the Mobil 1 5W-50. I see that so far Land Jet (Larry) and ARD (Adam) have also switched and we all live in areas that get unseasonably hot in the summer....well into the triple digits. Nevada and North Central California.

My immediate observation was that the slightly thicker viscosity made the oil pressure needle run at about 1.75 rather than the 1.50 where it used to run. I also notice a slightly higher oil pressure while running....around 4.8. I dont' think any of that is significant in itself....until I see if running the slightly higher viscosity will reduce some of the "oil eating" that the car has historically done with the usually recommended 0W-40. Traditionally, I went thru a quart about every 1500 miles or so.

This is NOT meant to start another frappin' pro/con oil discussion or literary marathon....only a notice that a number of us have switched to a higher viscosity and will be reporting on our observations over time.

Till then....everyone just keep using what you are happy with.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:54 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I will be putting the 5W50 that I bought in the car in about 2 weeks. Will report after that.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:03 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Is the engine any quieter at idle?
Old 07-10-2009, 11:06 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

No...it's no quieter, nor would I expect it to be. Less viscous oils may have a tendency to migrate away from the lifters simply because the oil is less visous, and would as a consequence, gravitate away from the lifters till the oil pump put more lubricants on the lifters...but in terms of performance, I don't expect to see anything except for possibly less oil consumption over the long run, and perhaps a slightly elevated oil pressure.

This particular multi-grade is one of the "Porsche approved" oils on their list. I went to it simply because it seems to make more sense in a hot climate where we seldom get below 31 degrees F...to go to an oil that would not become as "fluid" in the usual hotter temperatures we see for most of the year; therefore, may result in less oil consumption. I admit my terminology probably makes the PhD's in petroleum science shudder...but it's the best I can do from a layman's perspective. If you choose to shoot at my expertise, you've got an easy target.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:27 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts
Default Good info. I'll switch to 5w-50 oil next change in both Turbo and Boxster. I live....

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
Well today I switched to the Mobil 1 5W-50. I see that so far Land Jet (Larry) and ARD (Adam) have also switched and we all live in areas that get unseasonably hot in the summer....well into the triple digits. Nevada and North Central California.

My immediate observation was that the slightly thicker viscosity made the oil pressure needle run at about 1.75 rather than the 1.50 where it used to run. I also notice a slightly higher oil pressure while running....around 4.8. I dont' think any of that is significant in itself....until I see if running the slightly higher viscosity will reduce some of the "oil eating" that the car has historically done with the usually recommended 0W-40. Traditionally, I went thru a quart about every 1500 miles or so.

This is NOT meant to start another frappin' pro/con oil discussion or literary marathon....only a notice that a number of us have switched to a higher viscosity and will be reporting on our observations over time.

in Livermore and a couple of Sundays ago it hit IIRC 111F here. Ran into guy who graduated from Livermore HS years ago and he told me record here 116F.

5w-50 here I come! Oh Boxster has 222K miles on engine so it might really appreciate a 5w-50 oil. I'd run 15w-50 but no longer approved for Porsche engines. Been running 10w-40 Mobil 1.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:28 PM
Macster
Race Director

Default Oh where did you find Mobil 1 5w-50 oil. I haven't seen it ....

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones

advertised or listed for sale.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:40 PM
betegh9
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why use a 5w oil in those climates. Read about Brad Penn 20w50 racing oil........
Old 07-10-2009, 11:47 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 304 Likes on 210 Posts

One quick way to get your engine into a service center would be to install a 20W-50 non approved oil $$$$$

Brad Penn is NOT a double ester synthetic oil. From the use of 5W-50 in my engine and a few customers, I have noticed reduction of mechanical geartrain noise/intermediate shaft racket.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:48 PM
Macster
Race Director

Default Does Brad Penn oil meet SAE and API requirements that Porsche...

Originally Posted by betegh9
Why use a 5w oil in those climates. Read about Brad Penn 20w50 racing oil........
specifiies for approved oils?

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-11-2009, 01:54 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin
From the use of 5W-50 in my engine and a few customers, I have noticed reduction of mechanical geartrain noise/intermediate shaft racket.
Thanks for the info...that's what I was hoping.
Old 07-11-2009, 09:18 AM
manny_g
Burning Brakes

i've been using mobile 5w-50 for over a year with no problems what soever. it gets pretty hot here once and a while as well.
Old 07-11-2009, 09:59 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Where are you guys finding the Mobil 5W50 in the USA? I have only seen this product on store shelves when on business in Canada.
Old 07-11-2009, 06:26 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

I have a connection with a Mobil lubricant distributor in Northern California and they keep a pallet of 5W-50 on tap for me under an account I set up for "the Porsche Club". This stuff is difficult to find. I bought ten cases to start with and guys kept coming by the house and getting it so I'm out after I used the last two cases yesterday (six pak cases) for my oil change. You need nine quarts for an oil change. That leaves three quarts for periodic refill if needed ....but I'll go get more. If you need contact info, PM me and I'll set you up with my contact.
Old 07-11-2009, 08:37 PM
02-996ttx50
7th Gear

im in LA., and its getting to be its usual 95+ every day. any advice as to why i shouldn't stick with the mobil 0-40 porshce recommends. i have to get it from the dealer as you know, and i'm a few k into the car and given the heat etc, about to m1st oil change. was just gonna stay with the 0/40. any advice?

also.. im topping it off with a literally few ounces a week, as the differencve in the way it runs when i top it off is palpable. smoother as opposed to rougher shifting, idling etc. it purss when i keep it topped. it's gotten so i don't even check the status,.. just "feel" how it's running.

i DO have a trans 2nd gear popping out issue and have just gotten a bunch of advice and info from a mike la jolla in here, ( or the other thread in the 6 spdo'line?! site?! ) but that's another whole story..

is it too soon for you to tell noticeably yet,.. the different viscosity you've switched to? thx...
Old 07-11-2009, 09:29 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

In truth, there are thousands of Porsches out there that are using 0W-40, and you certainly won't go wrong by continuing to use it. They run in temperature extremes from sub-zero to excesses of 100. I don't think that the level of the oil has much...if anything to do with the way a car runs as long as you're within the area of the hash marks....even at the lowest hash mark it is still within specs for oil level. I usually run one or two hash marks under topped off....a habit I got from running the 930. Just because it's topped off shouldn't really be affecting the smoothness of idle or running.

As i said before, I dont' expect any major differences in how it runs other than potentially less oil consumption over time during the hot weather.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Switched to the Mobil 5W-50 today