Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dang! Tire life? Just 10K miles...

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 03:40 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mac: When you say "all these 5W-40 and 5W-50 oils are recognized by Porsche"....are you saying that Porsche recognizes the Castrol Syntec products? I was under the impression that they were approving the Mobil 1 rather than the Castrol. Given the different compositions in the different manufacturer's product lines, I don't believe they contain the same ingredients at the same proportions. Geez I hate to get into the oil discussion again...but the Castrol issue is new to me.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:03 PM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 310 Likes on 215 Posts

You guys are getting some great mileage out of your rear tires. If I go 6K, I start to see cord.
2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials SpeedTech Exhaust Videos facebook

Old 01-21-2010, 07:49 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
Mac: When you say "all these 5W-40 and 5W-50 oils are recognized by Porsche"....are you saying that Porsche recognizes the Castrol Syntec products? I was under the impression that they were approving the Mobil 1 rather than the Castrol. Given the different compositions in the different manufacturer's product lines, I don't believe they contain the same ingredients at the same proportions. Geez I hate to get into the oil discussion again...but the Castrol issue is new to me.
Porsche used Mobil 1 0W-40 as "factory fill" and of course puts a sticker under the engine cover pointing this out, but Porsche has approved a number of oils, through out the world, for use in its cars.

Look here:

http://sites.google.com/site/mikefoc...rovedmotoroils

Click on the link to a PDF listing Porsche approved oils. Note this list is out of date, but my tech tells me the newest one has the same oils listed along with some others that were not available when this list was generated, like Castrol Syntec 5w-50. (I am trying to get a copy of the latest approved oils list. Maybe tomorrow AM I can get a copy.)

There is another link a bit further down that contains some negative comments about using Mobil 1 oil.

And as my Porsche tech tells me there are few oils (synthetic anyhow) that are not approved for use in a Porsche. Sure, some very regional oil brand is probably not approved but if you scan the list at the link I indicated you'll see there are scores of oils that are approved.

The trick is to know which is the better oil.

It seems there is more and more info that Mobil 1 is not one of the better oils, at least the 0w-40 oil.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: Dang! Tire life? Just 10K miles...