Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EVO Motorsport V-Flow intake MAF Probs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 05:14 AM
Lewbo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EVO Motorsport V-Flow intake MAF Probs?

Just wondering if anyone has a solution to stop blowing MAF sensor with this intake, I've had this kit for a couple of years now, each time I fit it the MAF sensor goes, I've gone through about 5 sensors now. Evo recommended installing the honeycomb disc into the venturi which I did and results are the same. The quality of the kit is great and it make a good difference to the performance but getting fed up with spending a few hundred bucks each time the MAF goes. Any ideas???
Old 02-18-2010, 05:56 AM
otb996
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

From what I understand these and pretty much any aftermarket air filter are liable to harm the MAF because of the filter oil fouling the MAF. I also understand that unless you're approaching 700 whp, an aftermarket intake isn't really necessary.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:50 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 767 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Lewbo
Just wondering if anyone has a solution to stop blowing MAF sensor with this intake...
I've had the V-Flow since it first came out, and have not have any MAF issues. Some people have consistent MAF problems with the V-Flow, others do not. I think it may depend on the specific tuning and/or power level.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:40 PM
BostonDuce
Racer

Porsche OEM, Hitachi, or Boxster MAF?

BD
Old 02-18-2010, 04:32 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 767 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDuce
Porsche OEM, Hitachi, or Boxster MAF?

BD

Are you asking me or Lewbo?
Old 02-27-2010, 10:13 PM
aroonkl
AutoX

Originally Posted by Lewbo
Just wondering if anyone has a solution to stop blowing MAF sensor with this intake, I've had this kit for a couple of years now, each time I fit it the MAF sensor goes, I've gone through about 5 sensors now. Evo recommended installing the honeycomb disc into the venturi which I did and results are the same. The quality of the kit is great and it make a good difference to the performance but getting fed up with spending a few hundred bucks each time the MAF goes. Any ideas???
Mine blew after put Tial Turbos in. (trust me I got that honeycomb in there when it blew.) There are options for you:
1. put back stock air housing.
2. Do as I did, Hitachi MAf. You need tune for Hitachi maf. So it make sense to tune to stage 1, 2 or 3+upgrade turbos+5 bar FPR or Injectors. Your car will be a beast to drive, night and day.
Old 02-28-2010, 01:34 AM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What other mods do you have?

It is nonsense to go to a hitachi if you are running an exhaust, tune and stock (k16, K24) turbos.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:15 AM
flash68
Intermediate

It's not the MAF that is the problem. It's that V-flow intake... so so many documented cases of that being the culprit. I blew several, then put the stock airbox/filter back in and HEY whaddya know! No more blown MAFs... I aint buying a $1000 MAF just because my 10hp intake causes the Bosch MAF to blow... lame.

Plus, the Bosch MAF can handle way more power than the Ford/Hitachi MAF crowd says.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:57 PM
dacbap
Instructor

I had V-flow for a year, no problems, once I put bigger kit on I blew one in just one tank of gas??
Old 04-13-2010, 03:42 PM
XLR82XS
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 676 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by dacbap
I had V-flow for a year, no problems, once I put bigger kit on I blew one in just one tank of gas??
Bigger kit?
Old 04-14-2010, 03:38 AM
aroonkl
AutoX

He refered to bigger turbos.
Same to me. Drove V-flow with stock maf & Turbos for many months. Maf was fine. Nice sound from intake. Easier take off with little torqe gain all range.
Put Tial A28s (higher flow Turbos) Drove only 3 mins. Maf was gone.
I wanted more gain so no going back to stock Maf. I have been happy with new Hitachi Maf. Reason I went with Hitachi because there are some cases where stock mafs blew with stock intake and higher flow turbos.
Originally Posted by dacbap

Last edited by aroonkl; 04-15-2010 at 03:08 AM.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:30 PM
flash68
Intermediate

Originally Posted by aroonkl
He refered to bigger turbos.
Same to me. Drove V-flow with stock maf & Turbos for many months. Maf was fine. Nice sound from intake. Easier take off with little torqe gain all range.
Put Tial A28s (higher flow Turbos) Drove only 3 mins. Maf was gone.
I wanted more gain so no going back to stock Maf. I have been happy with new Hitachi Maf. Reason I went with Hitachi because there are some cases where stock mafs blew with stock intake and higher flow turbos.
Sure I guess, but plenty of 700+ hp cars with stock bosch maf are running around just fine, at least ones tuned by the tuner who did mine

There should be some other MAF solutions being released soon I hear... will be interesting.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:13 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

C'mon guys...this subject has been around for a long time. The folks who run the basic flash, a good free flowing exhaust,upgraded clutch, Bosch plugs, and wastegate kit are running about 525-600 depending upn the tune. There's very little documented evidence of MAF problems at that level. Although there are plenty of folks who will chime in and say that they haven't had any MAF problems with whatever aftermarket intake they happen to be running, the fact remains that the MAF problems start surfacing when the intakes go in. You can argue for or against, but the preponderance of evidence seems to point towards the intake kits and upgraded turbos. It appears that as you flow more air, the stock MAFs are touchy, hence the recommendations to go for the Hitachi and the honeycomb kit....although there are, as previously stated, folks out there who continue to run a stock MAF with upgrades. This subject gets so redundant and the archives are full of the same subject matter...but basically it seems that if you flow more air, you're potentially in for a MAF issue...whether it's bigger turbos, an intake kit, plenum, K and N oiled filter, or combo of any of these. Why do you suppose they even designed the Hitachi?? Because there was a market for it as folks went to bigger "stuff"...
Old 04-18-2010, 03:25 PM
haulinkraut
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It almost sounds like the aftermarket oiled filters are okay until you move alot more air through them. It is probably sucking the oil right off the filter. You can remove the oil from these filters and they will still work. In the audi world people replace their Bosch MAFs to Hitachi because they are more failure prone.
Old 04-19-2010, 05:06 AM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

PC or Maf?

Quick Reply: EVO Motorsport V-Flow intake MAF Probs?