Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 996 Turbo going in Monday for plugs...

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 07:59 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael-Dallas
I got the maintenance interval doco from Porsche USA's website: http://www.porsche.com/usa/accessori...anceintervals/

As far as coolant, it's a good idea to change regularly, but how often is up to you. You can probably buy an antifreeze test kit to help determine when you should change it.

///Michael
Thanks for the link. I saved a copy of the PDF file and will study it later when I have some time.

For replacing the coolant I've generally adhered to a 4 year interval. This assumes no leaks and thus no need to add either distilled water or anti-freeze.

Kind of funny, sort of, but I've never just changed the coolant in either my Boxster or Turbo. In the case of the Boxster at around the 4 year mark I hit some road debris and the coolant got replaced after the busted radiator replaced.

The 2nd time the coolant got replaced when I had the failing water pump replaced.

The Turbo got its coolant replaced after hitting a deer and busting the passenger side radiator.

I hope to at least once just have the coolant changed cause its time, not because of some incident!

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 04-10-2010, 01:25 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mac: You live in Livermore and the Vine and Sons Mobil distributor is off Hwy 99 in Ceres. That's where I get all my Mobil 5W-50 for $6 a quart. You're close enough for a leisurely drive over to Ceres and get a couple cases for future oil changes. A number of the guys in the forum have gone over to the 5W-50 because of the summertime heat and essentially mild winters around the central valley. This viscosity reduces the amount of oil tha0t the TT seems to eat in between oil changes. and it's on the Porsche approved list. They also stock the Delvac tranny oil for the TTs. One stop shopping for me.
Old 04-10-2010, 01:37 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
Mac: You live in Livermore and the Vine and Sons Mobil distributor is off Hwy 99 in Ceres. That's where I get all my Mobil 5W-50 for $6 a quart. You're close enough for a leisurely drive over to Ceres and get a couple cases for future oil changes. A number of the guys in the forum have gone over to the 5W-50 because of the summertime heat and essentially mild winters around the central valley. This viscosity reduces the amount of oil tha0t the TT seems to eat in between oil changes. and it's on the Porsche approved list. They also stock the Delvac tranny oil for the TTs. One stop shopping for me.
Thanks.

I agree the heat around these parts can be pretty gruesome. Last June late last June coming back from Stanford concourse on 84 highway and on-board computer outside temp reached 111F. It was just 106F Livermore around my house. And there are the road trips I take back east that have me driving through some pretty high ambient temperatures at least part of way there and back. That section of road (58) from Bakersfield to Barstow and then I-40 between Barstow and Needles and from Needles to Kingman AZ can see me driving through some pretty high ambient temperatures.

Anyhow, I've switched the Turbo from Mobil 1 5w-50 oil (tried it once and it was ok) to using Castrol Syntec 5w-50 oil. I believe (with the help of some oil spec sheets) this a better oil than Mobil 1 and Castrol Syntec readily available at various chain autoparts stores.

This weekend going to try the same oil in my 02 Boxster instead of its usual fill of Mobil 1 10w-40 'high mileage' oil, just to see how the engine reacts. Would be nice to run the same oil in both cars so I don't have to stock two different oils.

Not trying to start another oil war. Just FYI. If I do decide to switch back to Mobil I'll certainly give a thought to driving over to Ceres -- had to look it up on a map: found it down below Modesto on 99; I've passed it many times on my way south on 99 to points east and beyond -- and picking up some cases. Thanks for the tip.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: 03 996 Turbo going in Monday for plugs...