Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hydraulics for Spoiler at dealer....$2300????

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 11:54 PM
Kcreager1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hydraulics for Spoiler at dealer....$2300????

Just bought an 01 turbo, just delvered off the truck at the dealer (becuase car was damaged during transport - anotehr post to come. Crazy - I WOULD recommend the transport company - all because of honesty and integrety....again....another post).

Anyway - the PO told me that the spoiler was not functioning properly. The dealer inspected and confirmed that the "hydralics" must be replaced - this, after labor, is quoted at $2300....yikes!!!! I like the spoiler, and think I would like it functioning, but at that price??? it is hard to spend that much on a non-mod.....to make your car like everyone else.....I assume that $2300 gets ma little ways toward an after market wing...therefore I am asking for the sage advice of the rennlist community.

If you were in my shoes, would you replace the factory hydraulics to get the spoiler funtional, or go wing.....if you answered go wing.....what wing would you suggest?? any price estimates????? Pics???

Thanks
Old 04-08-2010, 12:23 AM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For that price I would go with a fixed wing mod!
Old 04-08-2010, 01:07 AM
Kcreager1
Racer

Yes - that is what I am thinking, but looking for options
Old 04-08-2010, 02:58 AM
GTDeux
Track Day

I think this is something you should take up with the seller and see if you can work something out.

The other option is to see if someone could sell you a used one, since a few 996 Turbos have gone with aftermarket wings.

Fixed wing is cool, but personally, I stay away from non OEM body parts. Factory GT2 wing is somewhat cost prohibitive for most people.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:24 AM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 498 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by GTDeux
Factory GT2 wing is somewhat cost prohibitive for most people.
If (or when) the hydraulics go on mine, I would consider a GT2 fixed wing - but apparently its costly - so will probably just fix.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:19 AM
pjb
Advanced

If/when mine goes, ill prob do a Misha wing to change it up. Several of my friends have this on their cars and it looks great. After prep and install though, it might be close depending on your shop. If you are OEM guy then gotta pay the piper i guess.

Old 04-08-2010, 01:01 PM
Last930
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Isn't there a hack/fix to lock the existing wing up and shut off the light? I thought I read about one awhile back; maybe a search will bring up the info (unless I dreamed that up). My kids manually raise the spoiler everytime they get into the car 'cause it "looks cool"...
Old 04-08-2010, 01:26 PM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 498 Likes on 270 Posts

Another factory option would be the aerokit - but again, no idea of pricing.
Old 04-08-2010, 02:10 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Kcreager1
Just bought an 01 turbo, just delvered off the truck at the dealer (becuase car was damaged during transport - anotehr post to come. Crazy - I WOULD recommend the transport company - all because of honesty and integrety....again....another post).

Anyway - the PO told me that the spoiler was not functioning properly. The dealer inspected and confirmed that the "hydralics" must be replaced - this, after labor, is quoted at $2300....yikes!!!! I like the spoiler, and think I would like it functioning, but at that price??? it is hard to spend that much on a non-mod.....to make your car like everyone else.....I assume that $2300 gets ma little ways toward an after market wing...therefore I am asking for the sage advice of the rennlist community.

If you were in my shoes, would you replace the factory hydraulics to get the spoiler funtional, or go wing.....if you answered go wing.....what wing would you suggest?? any price estimates????? Pics???

Thanks
Shortly after my 03 Turbo was purchased by its first owner (I'm its second owner) the new car's spoiler acted up and the problem was traced to a bad limit switch.

While the hydraulics could of course fail, before I spent $2300 (ouch!) for new spoiler hydrauics I'd be darn sure of the diagnosis. I'd seek a 2nd opinion.

Added: Oh, I'd be tempted to see if there was some cheaper way to get the stock spoiler functional again. If there was none and if $2300 of hardware necessary, absolutely necessary, I'd certainly explore adding a fixed wing.

The wing would have to have aerodynamic chops, no big old hairy assed wing with no wind tunnel numbers to back it up, and be of high quality and almost certainly require no permanent modifications to the car, the engine cover, or other body parts, to install.

I like the looks of the wings pictured -- they sort of look like the wings I see on the newer GT3s -- and provided they meet my other requirements would come in for strong consderation were I in your shoes. I say this though without knowing the final cost of a Porshe fixed wing or of a suitable aftermarket fixed wing and if the cost approaches a good sized fraction of that $2300... that might make that path a bit easier to take.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 04-08-2010, 02:39 PM
asgor
Intermediate

If the problem is a leaking lift (it’s unlikely that both of them need replacing), then it’s about $380 for a new OEM one from a discount online retailer + about 3 hrs of labor to install and bleed it. If you have a trustworthy independent Porsche shop nearby you can have a fully functioning spoiler for ~$700 (if the problem is with one of the lifts).

The dealer quoted you the replacement of the entire mechanism (2 lifts, wiring harness, microswitches, motor, etc) because that’s what Porsche recommends for your type of issue. In truth you can rectify the problem by isolating the culprit and replacing it – as opposed to swapping out the entire apparatus.
Old 04-08-2010, 05:50 PM
iborroel
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GTDeux
I think this is something you should take up with the seller and see if you can work something out.
Why should the previous owner do anything? The original poster mentioned in his initial post "the PO told me that the spoiler was not functioning properly". Therefore it's all on the original poster to fix the problem.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:23 PM
Quinlan
Racer

you can't hack it to keep the wing up - there are VERY powerful springs which force it down. There are several discussions on 6 speed about the hydraulics - you should be able to determine, by pulling off the caps on the bottom of the rams (they just snap on) whether it is one, both or neither of the rams - there will be hydraulic oil which will have leaked. Likewise with the pump. If there isn't any oil on the three components, it is likely a microswitch (small deal to fix).
Check on ebay from time to time - I ended up buying an entire rear deck with the hydraulics, for $500.00, and switching out the hydraulics myself.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:57 AM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Strange to buy a car with a known defect but never asking how much it might cost to fix- before buying.

Stranger to go to a Porsche Dealership!

Find someone willing to do something other than throwing new parts at the problem...
Old 04-09-2010, 12:56 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone have the link to the DIY repair?
Old 04-09-2010, 02:01 PM
sundog
Race Director

Received 197 Likes on 105 Posts

Go for the GT-3 Cup wing.

Quick Reply: Hydraulics for Spoiler at dealer....$2300????