Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

30K Mile; Car Runs Great; then ...

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 07:00 PM
DesignerGenes
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 30K Mile; Car Runs Great; then ...

I couple of days after my 30,000 mile service (at 25,000) I got in the car and the clutch seemed unusually stiff. After I started the car it was gone. "That can't be good." No problems at all while running.

Several days, and several uneventful drives later, it happens again, although this time the clutch doesn't take as much additional force to depress. After I start the car ... gone.

Anyone?
Old 04-14-2010, 07:04 PM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 29 Posts

Most likely a pending failure of the clutch slave and or accumulator. Very common. Do a search on these two items for more information.

Cheers,
Old 04-14-2010, 07:09 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Please be sure to replace both if you go in there...
Old 04-15-2010, 03:18 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine went stiff (the clutch pedal guys) at around 30K also....and I just replaced the accumulator. I now have 43K on it and no further problems. I know folks recommend that "since you're in there" to do both the slave and the accumulator, but I've always maintained that if it works, don't fix it. I don't know what the stats are on having the slave go bad...by that I mean mileage wise...but the accumulators are renouwn for going TU at around 30K or sooner.
Old 04-15-2010, 03:38 PM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When my accumulator failed (fixed under warranty) I was told by the dealer (non-OPC) that the official Porsche line was that the slave had to be replaced too.
Old 04-15-2010, 03:43 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can understand that from the perspective of Porsche...especially because it's under warranty, and there must be some info they have on failure rates for the slave....and again..."sincer they're in there" they opt to take care of both at the same time to preclude the car possibly coming back at a later date for the slave. But since there's not much info available on the failure rate of the slave itself, I'm not exactly convinced that both need to be replaced....but "since you're in there". Sort of like a leaking main seal and doing your clutch at the same time.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:16 PM
DesignerGenes
Rennlist Member

From an engineering standpoint, it sounds like the accumulator (holds pressure for that first clutch use before the engine is started). I looked at OEM parts online and found the accumulator is 2/3s again as expensive as the slave. My car is under (CPO) warranty, so I'll push to have both done, and I expect my Dealership will do that. My Service Advisor says he'll have to check on coverage by "that warranty."

Now, my second question: I'm scheduled to be on the track this Saturday and I'm not sure I can get this taken care of by then. I've got no leaks under the car, and the thing is fine once the engine is running. Can I run on the track Saturday?

Last edited by DesignerGenes; 04-16-2010 at 11:54 AM. Reason: add "(CPO)" information
Old 04-15-2010, 06:35 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

As long as your car passed its required Pre Tech inspection and is not leaking any fluids, then yes.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:57 PM
DesignerGenes
Rennlist Member

That's both you and my Service Advisor, Lewis. Teched and no leakin' ... off we go. Got happy feet too -- new rear shoes for the car and nomex ones for me.
Attached Images  
Old 04-20-2010, 07:55 PM
DesignerGenes
Rennlist Member

Damn, but I love that track. Miller Motorsport is composed of 2 nearly symmetric halves that can be split into separate tracks, driven (all 24 turns) as one, or driven as an outside course only. At 4.5 miles and 24 turns for the full thing, it's the longest in North America, and has a 2/3 mile front straight.

Now, here's the odd thing. After beatin' the car all day on the East course, I find that the "stiff clutch" seems to have gone away. Explain that one, anyone?
Attached Images  

Last edited by DesignerGenes; 04-20-2010 at 08:00 PM. Reason: Added picture
Old 04-21-2010, 08:59 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by DesignerGenes
Damn, but I love that track. Miller Motorsport is composed of 2 nearly symmetric halves that can be split into separate tracks, driven (all 24 turns) as one, or driven as an outside course only. At 4.5 miles and 24 turns for the full thing, it's the longest in North America, and has a 2/3 mile front straight.

Now, here's the odd thing. After beatin' the car all day on the East course, I find that the "stiff clutch" seems to have gone away. Explain that one, anyone?
One of my all time favorite Turbo pics I have seen! Just amazing.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:56 PM
DesignerGenes
Rennlist Member

Thanks, Dell. I'll tell my good friend, the professional photographer, that you said that. To see more amazing photos by Dennis, go to dennismecham.com.

Quick Reply: 30K Mile; Car Runs Great; then ...