Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steel or brass synchros on X50 ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 11:47 AM
kengray
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steel or brass synchros on X50 ?

I'm considering buying an '02 996TT with X50 option and manual transmission. A bit concerned about the "2nd gear pop-out" issue as posted on several forums. I read in an X50 related search post that 996TT with the X50 option and manual transmission use steel synchros instead of brass. Can anyone confirm this? Thanks.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:04 PM
Erik@GBox
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can confirm that some of them do have steel synchronizers, but most do not. I realize that most people say that the X50 option does include steel, but we have found that quite a few still have the brass setup.

As to the 2nd gear pop-out, this is certainly an issue to keep in the back of your mind, but it really depends on how the car has been driven. We also have a "fix" for this issue.

Let me know if I can be of any help.

Erik Johnson
GBox Performance Transaxle
(303) 440-8899 work
(303) 895-4828 cell
www.gboxweb.com
Old 07-01-2010, 12:19 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 250 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by kengray
I'm considering buying an '02 996TT with X50 option and manual transmission. A bit concerned about the "2nd gear pop-out" issue as posted on several forums. I read in an X50 related search post that 996TT with the X50 option and manual transmission use steel synchros instead of brass. Can anyone confirm this? Thanks.
Can't answer your questions but I can suggest based on the experience with my 03 Turbo and its 6-speed check the transmission housing very carefully for any signs of fluid leaks.

My 03's tranny was leaking from a selector shaft seal and was replaced under CPO warranty. If out of warranty the seal can be replaced -- the techs I rely upon tell me the seal's the same one used in the NA 911 transmissions -- but the job's not cheap. Tranny R&R and the labor to disassemble to gain access to the seal and button the tranny up again is at least $2.5 or more, probably more.

Oh, I will also point out to be sure the shifting is nice and smooth. My 03's shifting was not so good. No popping out of gear but the shifter sometimes refused to move, almost like it was locked. I adapted by paying very close attention to the shift lever movement and being very deliberate with my shifting, but even so this did not always help. The shifting was no where near a smooth, trouble free, or as fast as that of my Boxster's 5-speed.

After the new transmission -- not new I suspect but a remanufactured or rebuilt unit -- installed the shifting is much much improved as good as my Boxster's shifting which has been exemplary since day one.

Just a head's up.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-01-2010, 04:55 PM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Erik@GBox
I can confirm that some of them do have steel synchronizers, but most do not. I realize that most people say that the X50 option does include steel, but we have found that quite a few still have the brass setup.
Interesting... the prevailing wisdom (I thought) was that the X50 tranny is identical to the stock TT tranny. (ie no steel synchros, both brass)

PET lists no steel synchros for X50- same parts for G96.50 as for the G96.50 when used in the x50 option.

Have you opened stock, un-repaired, X50 trannys and found steel synchros???

Weird...I wonder what I have...it seems strange that this would be left to some whim of production as to who gets steel and who gets brass....
Old 07-02-2010, 04:32 PM
Erik@GBox
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Adam,

I would agree completely with you. Not really sure why some of the gearboxes we see here have steel for synchronizers, while others do not. Steel synchronizers are quite pricey in the 1st and 2nd zone though, so typically unless the car is to be raced or driven exceptionally hard in these gears we see people simply upgrade 3-5th gear with steel.

Erik Johnson
Old 07-03-2010, 08:14 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kengray
they do not have steel syncros. brass heats faster and less expandsion so street driven cars shift smoother. but its a softer metal. for a street driven car it doesnt matter. and also has nothing to do with the "pop out" issue.

hope that clears things up.

Quick Reply: Steel or brass synchros on X50 ?