Sponsored by:

996tt RWD conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 08:41 PM
ponzzzz
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 996tt RWD conversion?

Pros cons, gonna do some track days with the car so was thinking to remove the front wheel drive. What do you guys think?
Old 08-22-2010, 08:57 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 58 Posts

I'm in the same boat as you, and am also in the middle of doing a GT2 front end conversion (if the parts ever arrive) and what I've been told by both shops and individuals that have done it is the whole process really does depend on suspension balance for your specific driving style. If you plan to do it, those who have had success doing it have said they only got the desired effect by completely removing the differential and axles.

Mike
Old 08-22-2010, 06:36 PM
Os Inspector
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if your suspension is stock and you cannot make any adjsutments to compensate for removing traction and weight to the front end id say dont do it.

you should be faster with it in in that case. if you just looking to have RWD and play drift etc then thats another story.
Old 08-22-2010, 11:10 PM
Lysoleverywhere
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Aside from it killing the cars value, I'm all for it. Everyone I've spoken to that hasn't done it...says don't do it. Everyone that has done it...says do it. Go figure. I spoke to one guy who dropped the diff + axle and said it was a piece of cake. He mentioned that the car is alive now. Other guys mention of having to spend 5k to get the suspension right. I don't know who to believe!
Old 08-22-2010, 11:25 PM
Os Inspector
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think it depends on how much you know about suspension and can tell the difference.

if you know enough about suspension to come in after a DE event and Adjust your suspension/ sway bars to dial in or out oversteer you will surely notice the difference of the suspension imbalance removing the weight and traction on the front end.

if you are not at that level of driving youd probably like the stock suspension with RWD only it makes the car more of an animal or raw feeling.
Old 08-22-2010, 11:32 PM
Lysoleverywhere
Instructor

I have never...and don't plan on tracking my car, so that's exactly why I considered it. I've just heard it's "interesting" to put it back to AWD.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:22 AM
haulinkraut
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't see how the value would be effected. It is a 100% reversable mod. Unless people are just getting rid of their forward diffs and shafts. And that would be dumb idea IMHO.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:27 PM
Tytus
Instructor

I have been tracking my car all year and absolutely love the AWD. Not much to worry about in the corners, I mean it is a bit like cheating, but on the other hand I am a lot less likely to be handed a bill to repair the track armco, not to mention my car.

On the track you really do not need a lot more power than the car already delivers, I end up having to pass most people in my run group anyway. Until that is a problem, why bother. And in the rain, well it saves you missing a track day. Most people bail out if it is raining, I prefer it as there are less drivers and the car handles great, pulls you out of trouble if needed, and you don't have to drive with your sfincter all tight afraid the back end is going to come around and bite you.

I also drive my car all year, right through the winter with Blizaks, I would never remove the front drive, but to each his own.

My $0.02,

Tytus
Old 08-23-2010, 08:09 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 58 Posts

Tytus, What Run group are you in?

I've found over the last 3.5 years driving this car that I've evolved from the "AWD is great" to "gee I need more camber (As in -3.0 up front and -2.5 in the rear), Bigger brakes, and better tires..." I've also found myself turning off the PSM so I could get the car to rotate better. But then again I'm also not at stock power levels either...

As for killing the value of the car, I'm really confused... Driving it off the lot kills its initial value. Smacking a door from some soccer mom's van into your front fender will reduce the "value"... I guess to me, it boils down to enjoying your car as you see fit...

This mod is not a "One size fits all" mod. It's also not taboo...

Mike
Old 08-23-2010, 10:27 PM
ponzzzz
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks for the ideas, i think im gonna try taking it off. If i dont like it i can always go back to AWD.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:16 AM
Tytus
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mikelly
Tytus, What Run group are you in?

I've found over the last 3.5 years driving this car that I've evolved from the "AWD is great" to "gee I need more camber (As in -3.0 up front and -2.5 in the rear), Bigger brakes, and better tires..." I've also found myself turning off the PSM so I could get the car to rotate better. But then again I'm also not at stock power levels either...

As for killing the value of the car, I'm really confused... Driving it off the lot kills its initial value. Smacking a door from some soccer mom's van into your front fender will reduce the "value"... I guess to me, it boils down to enjoying your car as you see fit...

This mod is not a "One size fits all" mod. It's also not taboo...

Mike
I am in Yellow so I am still learning the ropes but have enough time to understand what you are tlaking about. I got the impression from the OP that he was going to track and hadn't done it before, I could be wrong. If you haven't done it before I wouldn't do the conversion, but if you want total involvement and are comfortable with and can safely control the rotation of the car then removal would be ok. Ultimately you should buy a different car as this may upset the ABS, PSM and other programmed systems that anticipate the AWD system to be operable.

Tytus

Last edited by Tytus; 08-24-2010 at 12:25 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:36 AM
tvurt
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Ultimately you should buy a different car as this may upset the ABS, PSM and other programmed systems that anticipate the AWD system to be operable.
Just for the archive this is 100% incorrect. PSM works properly and ABS as well. If you are thinking about it, just pull your drive shaft, see if you like it, then do the front diff and axles.

Tom
Old 08-24-2010, 12:29 PM
Tytus
Instructor

Originally Posted by tvurt
Just for the archive this is 100% incorrect. PSM works properly and ABS as well. If you are thinking about it, just pull your drive shaft, see if you like it, then do the front diff and axles.

Tom
OK I stand corrected, I did say may. Hard to beleive that they wouldn't but on the other hand if Porsche didn't have to make a different program then it makes sens they wouldn't. I wonder if that is true for all systems such as ECU, Tranny controlers etc.?

Tytus
Old 08-24-2010, 12:38 PM
tvurt
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

There are lots of people that have done the RWD conversion to their cars. And lots that have done it and gone back to AWD. The best source for the pros and cons on this is a long thread on 6speed. FWIW my car was RWD and is now AWD again. Personal taste and a hack driving skills = AWD for me.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:16 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

The other thing you will want to consider when making this conversion is some sort of LSD. Once you reduce the power split from 4 wheels to 2 wheels the likelihood of spinning an inside wheel on corner exit will go up a great deal. Most people want that track these cars want more traction once they convert to RWD...

Quick Reply: 996tt RWD conversion?