Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Change DIY (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 06:38 PM
Liquidcooled
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My local indy shop did my oil change, my car had a vibration that got worst the faster you drove so I wanted to get the tires rebalanced and decided to take it to the shop to have them do both things at once.

I was in the bay chatting some racing with the machanic while he was working on my car so I got to see him do the oil change and he did it just like your DIY and I did notice the oil tank held alot of oil. He used aluminum washers on the turbo and crank case drain bolts and used a copper crush washer on the oil tank drain plug. I talked with the machanic that worked on the car about the oil drip and he said they would change the copper washer but the oil would not be covered because I supplied my own oil (M1 5W-40 TDT) for the oil change instead of what the shop uses. He also told me they do not use OEM washers and have never had any problems. I am going to get a OEM copper crush washer and change it myself, on top of this my car still has a vibration even after the rebalance, I'm going to try a road force balance and hopefully that will solve or find the cause of the vibration.

The oil drain plug on my car is 15mm, I know this because I torqued the bolt myself using a 27mm wrench and a 15mm socket to make sure it was tight. Do you think I should try loosening the bolt and move the washer and retorquing it to spec? would that make a difference.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:16 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Another reason I do as much work on the car as I can. I know it is done right.

With that said, I would go get the PROPER washers (p/n listed at the beginning of the thread) and redo the oil change yourself. Since the oil is brand new you can reclaim that oil if you want and reuse. Just make sure the catch can or whatever you use is clean.

Hate to say it.......time to find a new indy (you ).

Last edited by LVDell; 10-31-2011 at 09:00 AM. Reason: typo
Old 10-30-2011, 10:12 PM
Danyol
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Liquidcooled
My local indy shop did my oil change, my car had a vibration that got worst the faster you drove so I wanted to get the tires rebalanced and decided to take it to the shop to have them do both things at once.

I was in the bay chatting some racing with the machanic while he was working on my car so I got to see him do the oil change and he did it just like your DIY and I did notice the oil tank held alot of oil. He used aluminum washers on the turbo and crank case drain bolts and used a copper crush washer on the oil tank drain plug. I talked with the machanic that worked on the car about the oil drip and he said they would change the copper washer but the oil would not be covered because I supplied my own oil (M1 5W-40 TDT) for the oil change instead of what the shop uses. He also told me they do not use OEM washers and have never had any problems. I am going to get a OEM copper crush washer and change it myself, on top of this my car still has a vibration even after the rebalance, I'm going to try a road force balance and hopefully that will solve or find the cause of the vibration.

The oil drain plug on my car is 15mm, I know this because I torqued the bolt myself using a 27mm wrench and a 15mm socket to make sure it was tight. Do you think I should try loosening the bolt and move the washer and retorquing it to spec? would that make a difference.
I've had this happen to me twice, re-tightening didn't help. I use a big oversize catch tank (mine is 20 Qt) which I cleaned, drained the oil and poured it back in.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:50 AM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On my car the 19 mm oil tank plug had been replaced with a 15 mm plug by the previous owner. It's the same plug that goes in the crankcase. The idea apparently being to save a few seconds by not having to change sockets when going from one to the other.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:53 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Anything to save a few tenths
Old 06-17-2012, 04:30 PM
triblk6spd
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice post. Helped a lot!
Old 06-20-2012, 11:15 AM
ohioboxster
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I used your directions today, thank you. I'm wondering where the second rubber o-ring is on the filter?
Old 06-20-2012, 11:25 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Sorry, I forgot to attach a pic of the oil filter cover o-rings location. One is down at the base of the threads (large o-ring) and one (small o-ring) is at the top of the shaft coming from the housing.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:37 PM
ohioboxster
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I found the big one, the little one will have to be changed next time I guess. It must be in a grove like the big one was. Oil change cost me about $83.00, not sure how much I saved.

I have to do the wives car now.

Thanks again
Old 01-18-2014, 10:57 PM
okiedude
Intermediate

Changed oil today four the first time in the TT. Thanks for the write up, made it super easy.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:21 PM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 247 Posts

Just did my first oil change on the TT. Was not able to get the turbo sump drains done, I reefed on the cap screw but it did not want to come out. Otherwise uneventful. My car last had a service by a Porsche Dealer, the engine sump washer was Al, the Oil Tank Cu. I replaced in kind from my Wurth supply cabinet. No leaks after test drive, and I had to add 9 quarts to get to the full mark on the dash measuring display.
Old 04-20-2014, 11:22 AM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Besides the 4 sealing washers and large "o" ring on the filter housing don't forget to change the samll "o" ring at the end of the plastic stem inside the oil filter housing.
Old 09-13-2014, 04:08 PM
docwong
Track Day

you guys rock! I just changed my oil (didn't bother with the 2 cups of turbo charger oil) and now onto the plugs! thanks again!
Old 09-14-2014, 12:04 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Why would you not change the oil out of the turbos, it cause no more great expense, and is easy to do.
Old 09-14-2014, 03:31 PM
Ck986
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just bought 3 jugs of Mobil 1 TDT 5w40 for my first TT oil change.

Quick Reply: Oil Change DIY (pics)